Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Could also possibly throw in an IDL if it’s Detroit. Offer 19, Ionidis, and next year’s 1st. Basically value Ionn between a 2/3rd and you keep your full slate of picks this year. 

To me that would be too much.  I'd hold at 1/3/1.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't associate all those things you mention with Brady and Brees as intangibles.  They both have very good field vision, have good pocket presence, know how to manipulate a defense.  Neither has a rocket but both can make all the throws including going deep.    The intangibles would be how hard they work at mastering their craft, how much they study, do their teammates like/trust them?

Mike Shanahan, Joe Gibbs among others said the main intangible is work ethic.  And to an extent football intelligence and leadership.  They've said they don't know a player's intangibles fully until they are in the building and see it in action.   At least judging by leaks from scouts, etc -- the two QBs who have jumped out as far as intangibles based on interviews and things they've heard from their coaches are Mac Jones and Trey Lance. 

I get the sense from beat guys their top target would be Fields, maybe Lance.  Haven't heard anything about Jones aside from Keim in a podcost suggesting he doesn't think Jones would be a target but I forgot how he said it. 

I used them as examples for Jones because they won games without obviously superior physical or athletic traits.  Consistency, accuracy, field vision, learning defenses..etc  might involve something inherent but most of those skills are developed.   The intangibles are the qualities that speed these developments and apply them intelligently to win football games.    There are so many things that Jones is good at already after just one full year of football, that I look at as proof of those intangibles already at work.  I am being semantic really, we are already pretty much in agreement on Jones.   Maybe I am just a little more optimistic.

If I am going with a mid round RB for me its Khalil Herbert or Kylin Hill.  On my personal rankings which I posted here, I ranked Hill lower than I should have.  I've watched him some more since. 

I've explained why multiple times on why I like Herbert so I don't feel like repeating it.  But in short, he's a do everything type.  Besides liking his play, he fits really every stat box to back that up.  He's got the size, athleticism, stats.  Only thing I don't like is he's 23.   I think his breakaway ability is underrated.  If he gets loose he can take it to the house.   If for example Scherff is blocking for him on the 2nd level, Herbert would take some runs to the house IMO.   His 7.6 YPA is one of the best in this class.  Ditto in yards after contact. 

As for Hill, my pause is him opting out last year at a juncture and he had a postgame outburst that his coach didn't like.  So the character stuff would have to be fleshed out.

Like Herbert, he checks all the boxes, except his speed is just ok but IMO he makes up for it with his quickness/elusiveness.  He's a good athlete and has good size.  The reason why I think he'd be a good fit here is we seem to value RBs with hands.  And i'd think it would be a nice bonus to have one who can also pass protect.  That would be Hill. 

Hill is a feisty pass blocker.  Not quite Portis level but he has some of his feistiness in the way he blocks.  He comes off fearless on that front. 

He has a nice spin move.  Maybe runs a bit too upright.  What gets me the most is he IMO is a really natural pass catcher.   He looks like a slot receiver at times when he catches some balls which aren't thrown that accurately his way.  He doesn't have that breakaway ability that Hebert has IMO.   But he runs with violence.  And when you couple that with his pass blocking and pass catching abilities -- he might fit sort of the theme that this coaching staff seems to like. 

40 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I used them as examples for Jones because they won games without obviously superior physical or athletic traits.  Consistency, accuracy, field vision, learning defenses..etc  might involve something inherent but most of those skills are developed.   The intangibles are the qualities that speed these developments and apply them intelligently to win football games.    There are so many things that Jones is good at already after just one full year of football, that I look at as proof of those intangibles already at work.  I am being semantic really, we are already pretty much in agreement on Jones.   Maybe I am just a little more optimistic.

OK got it.  Yeah you and @RWJ are definitely more optimisic than I am on Jones.

But I do like Jones.  I just have a hard time falling hard for him where I see him as a great or elite QB.    But I do think its more possible now that he ends up great than i did earlier in the process because i love the narratives I keep reading/hearing about him.   It's one story after another.  Loved the Nagy story about how Mac is at it nonstop and he saw it at the Senior Bowl, he was the only guy he saw up after midnight studying the next day's game plan.

Arians hit it hard in his book about QBs -- you got to outwork and outprepare when you are the QB.    Jones seems to be that kind of guy.   

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I am going with a mid round RB for me its Khalil Herbert or Kylin Hill.  On my personal rankings which I posted here, I ranked Hill lower than I should have.  I've watched him some more since. 

I've explained why multiple times on why I like Herbert so I don't feel like repeating it.  But in short, he's a do everything type.  Besides liking his play, he fits really every stat box to back that up.  He's got the size, athleticism, stats.  Only thing I don't like is he's 23.   I think his breakaway ability is underrated.  If he gets loose he can take it to the house.   If for example Scherff is blocking for him on the 2nd level, Herbert would take some runs to the house IMO.   His 7.6 YPA is one of the best in this class.  Ditto in yards after contact. 

As for Hill, my pause is him opting out last year at a juncture and he had a postgame outburst that his coach didn't like.  So the character stuff would have to be fleshed out.

Like Herbert, he checks all the boxes, except his speed is just ok but IMO he makes up for it with his quickness/elusiveness.  He's a good athlete and has good size.  The reason why I think he'd be a good fit here is we seem to value RBs with hands.  And i'd think it would be a nice bonus to have one who can also pass protect.  That would be Hill. 

Hill is a feisty pass blocker.  Not quite Portis level but he has some of his feistiness in the way he blocks.  He comes off fearless on that front. 

He has a nice spin move.  Maybe runs a bit too upright.  What gets me the most is he IMO is a really natural pass catcher.   He looks like a slot receiver at times when he catches some balls which aren't thrown that accurately his way.  He doesn't have that breakaway ability that Hebert has IMO.   But he runs with violence.  And when you couple that with his pass blocking and pass catching abilities -- he might fit sort of the theme that this coaching staff seems to like. 

Kylin Hill is one of the quiet guys that everyone seems to know is good but still doesn’t get much talk time. As a mid to later rounder I’d be more than okay with him. He brings a multiplicity to the RB role without necessarily having to be shoehorned into a pure scat, power, goal line type role. Can do each better than adequately.

Overall he’s one of the top backs in the draft. Just not tops in pretty much anything. A Jack of all trades that could really pan out.

If you (a putative GM) had an inkling that Tom Brady would be the GOAT, but feared another team would take him before you, would you draft him in the first round to ensure no one else gets him?  I'm not saying Mac Jones will be the next GOATest, or even the next Macgic man (heh), but if you think he has the intangibles only truly winning QBs have (how many SBs did Fran Tarkenton win?) then you don't pass him up and you trade up to get him.  What some people praise about Mac, do other guys in this draft have it?  If you go back in time and draft Brady in the first round, you're getting fired before round 2.  But you'd be right.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Kylin Hill is one of the quiet guys that everyone seems to know is good but still doesn’t get much talk time. As a mid to later rounder I’d be more than okay with him. He brings a multiplicity to the RB role without necessarily having to be shoehorned into a pure scat, power, goal line type role. Can do each better than adequately.

Overall he’s one of the top backs in the draft. Just not tops in pretty much anything. A Jack of all trades that could really pan out.

Agree.  The two things that jump out to me are his pass catching-pass blocking.   There are running backs who have some big time yardage as for pass catching in part because they are utilized that way a ton.   For Hill it looked like they really discovered him from that context in a big way this season before he opted out -- and to me he's not just a RB who can catch the ball but to my eyes he's really really good at catching the ball.   He seems to have strong hands and can adjust to poorly thrown balls.  

A receiver that i like in the late rounds who keeps growing on me as a fit is Dez Fitzpatrick.   I also like Imir Smith-Marsette as a grower for me.  But my issue with him is similar to Devonta Smith.  He needs some girth.  He's 180 pounds.  He's probably better suited for the slot than playing outside. 

As far as outside WRs in the 3-5th round there are a lot of guys i like

Nico Collins

Anthony Schwartz

Tylan Wallace

Josh Palmer

Seth Williams

I like the talent of Simi Fehoko but couldn't find enough footage to be totally sold on him

Further down the draft as far as outside receivers (6th-7th)

Dez Fitzpatrick

Sage Surratt

Tamorrion Terry

Dax Milne

Cornell Powell

Trevon Grimes

Austin Watkins

Smith-Marsette, Dez Fitzpatrick, Austin Watkins aren't exactly the same but are in the same flavor IMO.  All with about the same height with Smith-Marsette being the undersized one. I like Smith-Marsette's upside the best of the three. 

Dez seems to me the safer of the three if you are looking for a steady outside receiver.   He's not spectacular but I am not expecting that from a 6th-7th round type WR.   

Dez put up stats consistently in his college career.  He's no one year wonder.  He has one of the bigger wingspans among receivers in this draft.  Good speed.  Good hands.  He's not IMO sudden/explosive but solid IMO.   

According to the article below he has high intangibles -- good locker room guy like Mclaurin. 

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/One-last-ride-at-Louisville-for-Dez-Fitzpatrick-156508039/

U of L wide receivers coach Gunter Brewer has talked highly of Fitzpatrick, especially his leadership skills, several times since he arrived prior to last season. Brewer said last summer that Fitzpatrick has the skill set to make it in the NFL.

But it's more than just that with Fitzpatrick at Louisville.

1COMMENTS

"He gives you so much more than just production on the field," Brewer said. "Around the building, being a student of the game, trying to show the young guys, whether it's in the locker room or whether it's in meetings, about how it is to be a professional. How to act the right way and practice the right way.

". . . The grind, the total grind of it. He’s showing those (young) guys how you come to meetings, how you act, the scripts that you get, and how you have to follow on your I-pad. He spoke to the team (in the summer) and I wasn't here when he got started, but he told about his beginning here and now where he is now and how much he's matured and just as love for the university. But really about the journey he's taken and, how he's grown and having somebody like that around to tell the other guys, you know, back in the day I guess you say for us who are a little longer in the tooth because you've been five years here and he planned on being three and now, and it's a great story to tell."

As for the bigger receivers, Terry is a hard guy for me to make out.  He's another guy along with Grimes who I'd call a poor man's Terrace Marshall/Nico Collins as far as skill set.  i don't like that he regressed last season.  The two seasons prior he hovered around 20 YPC.  He has a good catch radius and can run.  I think I like Grimes better -- they have similar profiles.   

I think trading up for our QBotF is a wise move from a marketing standpoint, and we know Dan has background in marketing. 

Just think about it, 2021 he'll most likely sit but when 2022 comes and we have a new name, most likely new uniforms, we will have a new QB to show off as "our guy" for the new direction of the team.

I'm okay with this, we need to be long-term thinkers while also making the team as competitive as possible for 2021. I think we did a great job in FA to counterbalance what we will give up for the future QB. 

9 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I have seen Shane Buchele taken late on a lot of mocks here and blame @KDawg:806:

If I had to grab a QB after the 5 1st rounders and 4 3rd rounders I think he would be my next up as well. My only question with his selection is what would be the expectations?

With all the others you must think in the back of your mind, they have starter qualities given time. With Bobby Boucher I don't see him as a starter, would the expectations be he could become a 2nd stringer in a year or two? I don't see him as a starter and there are two second stringers on the roster who can spot start.

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

It does.  Leaves Field and Lance in play.  Does Atlanta take one of them or trade?  How far do they fall before they are drafted?  Who moves up and trades with another team for them?  Tune in next Thursday night as the NFL Draft World Turns.  LOL.  Have a good day, DGF.  :)

If Jones goes 3 Atlanta is definitely the wildcard. I have a hard time seeing them pass on a blue chip and trading out unless it’s to Denver at 9 where they might still grab an elite contributor. But at this stage they also need players and depth because of their cap situation. 

I don’t think we trade up to 4. Too pricy. Denver probably could. Maybe NE. But if Atlanta stands pat and takes Pitts to Sewell ... there’s a good chance both Lance and Fields are there when Detroit is on the clock. My guess is they’re gone in the next 3 picks. So whether it’s 7,8,9 ... the price is likely 1/3/1. If the price is 1/2/1 then idk if we balk or not. 

im not sure there’s a huge difference between having 7/51/74 or 7/74/82. I know on paper that’s the difference of 30 picks. But 10 years from now will we really look back and wonder why we overpaid by 30 picks on Day2? Probably not. 

9 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I have seen Shane Buchele taken late on a lot of mocks here and blame @KDawg:806:

If I had to grab a QB after the 5 1st rounders and 4 3rd rounders I think he would be my next up as well. My only question with his selection is what would be the expectations?

With all the others you must think in the back of your mind, they have starter qualities given time. With Bobby Boucher I don't see him as a starter, would the expectations be he could become a 2nd stringer in a year or two? I don't see him as a starter and there are two second stringers on the roster who can spot start.

Lol, I can't remember who it was last month on this thread that said Shane Beuchele was the one late round QB that if we got him, we were SB bound! It might of been Try The Beal, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to dime anyone out for what was probably a joke. That said, in all my mocks I have grabbed some form of QB weather they fall to us at #19, or we trade back. I know next to nothing about QB evaluation, so I am at the mercy of what I read on ES. But, I always throw that 'token' QB in the mix, hoping that Zampese will strike gold. More often than not, I don't grab said QB until #244, and then my only choices are Felippe Franks and Shane Beuchele. But I want us to go to the big show, so I grab Beuchele!

I have yet to do a mock with this much player quality, but this is the best one yet. There were many trades involved, with an eye towards always netting an extra pick and never touching next year's picks. Notice the 'token' QB in this mock is Trask:

#47 Tevin Jenkins OT
#53 Rondale Moore iWR
#60 Aaron Robinson iCB
#74 Tommy Tremble TE
#85 Ben Cleveland OG
#94 Paulson Adebo CB
#97 Andre Cisco FS
#103 Kenneth Gainwell RB
#104 Chazz Surratt LB
#124 Kyle Trask QB
#126 Bobby Brown DT

#141 Derrick Barnes LB

If only we could end up with half these guys, I would be stoked! I took Barnes at #141 even though it was a reach, after watching all the vids of him on this thread over the past two days. Kid is a monster!

10 minutes ago, mudhog said:

#141 Derrick Barnes LB

If only we could end up with half these guys, I would be stoked! I took Barnes at #141 even though it was a reach, after watching all the vids of him on this thread over the past two days. Kid is a monster!

I don't see Barnes as a reach at all at 141. I am not sure he makes it out of the 3rd round

I get the idea of grabbing a late round QB normally, this year I just don't know if it makes sense but hey, this is def the weirdest year ever lol

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall from other posts you are more numbers >>> eyes.    But you are paying your scouts to make decisions that factor numbers but aren't slaves to them.  For example, I am on board with the idea that RBs are better to take later in the draft.  Also to some degree ditto but to a lesser extent on Wrs. 

I do buy into the numbers that O line is one of the safer spots to take early.  Passing game >> running game.  On and on.  But if you think a RB is special and much better than the next player below them on your board (and much better than the next RB on your board) -- everything being equal take the RB.    If the next position spot is close to your RB as for the rankings of players then take the nonRB.

I get the point that if they think they know who the best RB is, they might end up wrong.  But IMO you don't operate your decisions on not trusting your scouts because of other team's mistakes or past regimes.

There is usually context behind things.  We can fit narratives neatly to make a point.  But its not always that neat.

For example, it takes some repackaging to make your narrative fit to your point above.  McCaffrey the season before was regarded as an MVP candidate.   Fournette was clearly over drafted but its not as if players at other positions don't bomb in the first round. We can pretend that Cook and Mixon weren't ballyhooed prospects and there was little context around either guy -- but that wouldn't be true.

Mixon dropped ironically because of character issues so he would defeat my point about Guice.  There were major red flags about him back then which proved to be nothing to worry about.  Ditto Dalvin Cook albeit the concerns weren't as intense.   Dalvin Cook early on in the process was sometimes in the top 15 in mocks.  But fell it seemed when different rumors came out about the type of people he hung out with.  He wasn't some lesser seen prospect at the time. 

Now we can talk about him as some random RB who who seen as a 2nd tier RB at the time.  But I know that isn't true because I had a massive man crush on him and wanted him in that draft and followed his narrative closely.  

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/mel-kiper-says-neither-leonard-fournette-dalvin-cook-is-the-most-talented-back-in-the-nfl-draft/

Kiper told Jason Lisk of the Big Lead he thinks it’s former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon.

“On talent, and on ability, the kid averaged over 6 yards a carry in 9 games this year, he averaged almost 15 yards a catch, he had a 97-yard kickoff return against Ohio State, he’s 228 pounds and he ran 4.43 He was a top kid coming out of high school, so he’s an elite–like [Leonard] Fournette– to me he’s a better back than Fournette, on talent,” Kiper said.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/acc/florida-state/mel-kiper-predicts-the-nations-best-running-back-getting-drafted-by-the-nfls-worst-team/

“After picking Myles Garrett No. 1, this would give the Browns two prospects in the top five of my Big Board,” Kiper writes. “Cook is a speedy home-run hitter who rushed for 4,464 yards and had 48 total touchdowns in three seasons for the Seminoles. Cleveland also could look at an offensive lineman, cornerback or linebacker.”

While it’s quite the compliment to go in the first round even the first 15, Cook might be hoping for the next update of Kiper’s mock draft. Cleveland is just not a place anyone wants to go if they’re trying to win games.

I think I've moved basically to Numbers First, Eyes second, but honestly I'm looking for guys that hit #'s requirements and preferably pass the eye test as well. I don't think any one way to do it is perfect, every way allows guys to slip through the various nets, probably covering for everything is the smartest approach, I just have a fondness for avoiding the biases that come with tape grinding. I get that #'s can also be tweaked and massaged in lots of ways too, but there are certain #'s that can't be and many of them relate to higher probabilities of future success (when did someone first breakout as a prospect etc).  

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure why my gut has changed, but based on some Of the smoke out there, I really do think if Lance/Fields is at pick 7 we are moving up to draft one of them. 

This is how I’ve felt for a week or so, I don’t fully know why but it does feel that way. For me it smells like Lance>Fields...maybe bc Hurney’s or Mayhew’s unsolicited commentary about caring about QB experience seemed like an attempt at a smokescreen to me lol. 

1. smoke that WFT is interested in trading into top 10 if QB is there is gaining steam. 

2. Keim and others say we are high on some FS options starting with Moehrig but including Cisco, Grant, Johnson

3. obvious need for LBs

4. Robbie Duncan who is great on Twitter for all things OL thinks Schweitzer is legit and has 2 more cheap years so probably not currently seeking a LG. And thinks Charles will compete with Lucas for LT and that we will probably take a developmental OT on day 3 (likes Forsythe from Florida). 

5. Lack of chatter about us going TE. A case where maybe fans perceive a need greater than FO. Maybe Reyes + some of the guys we’ve got as roster bodies is enough + Thomas. Although I’d say we easily could take a TE if it’s BPA as is likely the case with any position, FWIW. In this case fans see 1 year left for Thomas and think we HAVE to get a TE2 who could become a TE1 in 2022. Not saying we ignore it and don’t draft Freiermuth if he’s there at 51, but if the staff has had extension chats with Thomas and feels good about him as our long term TE1, maybe the idea of drafting a R2 or R3 TE becomes an afterthought especially if they like the other TEs chances of stepping into a solid TE2 role. We did apparently like some of the FA options this year so maybe we still go get a TE but maybe not until R4/5 if there’s someone the staff likes in that range (McKitty?)

These lead me to wonder if we end up with a draft like:

1.7: Lance, QB

2.51: Grant, FS

3.74: Werner, LB

4: Little/Forsythe, OT

5: DE

7: BPA

7: BPA

I think most of us have assumed LB, TE, WR, OT with our middle picks with an offensive emphasis. Wonder if we traded up for Lance if the result isn’t the opposite with our other Day 2 picks.

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is how I’ve felt for a week or so, I don’t fully know why but it does feel that way. For me it smells like Lance>Fields...maybe bc Hurney’s or Mayhew’s unsolicited commentary about caring about QB experience seemed like an attempt at a smokescreen to me lol. 

Yeah, it is smokescreen season but usually there’s some fire behind it. The fact that we’ve been rumored to be interested in a move up “if” a guy falls to an appropriately affordable range coupled with the likelihood that one or both of Fields/Lance could be in that range makes me think we’ll be trying hard to get to 7 or 8. 

I think the top 6 goes:

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson 

3. Jones

4. Pitts / Sewell

5. Pitts / Sewell 

6. Chase 

which leaves fields and Lance at 7. Even if NE or DEN jumps up for one it leaves the other at 8 for another trade up. Maybe we love both. Maybe we prefer one over the other. But I’ve got to think we try to get to 7 in that scenario and if we can’t, try again at 8. And even if the price is 1/2/1 I can’t see the staff balking at that over 1/3/1. I think it becomes too costly when you add multiple future 1’s which you’d need to include to get to 4. And that jives with the “smoke” that we would make a move if one falls to the right range which to me, is 7/8 as opposed to 4. 

just a GUT feeling 

52 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

5. Lack of chatter about us going TE. A case where maybe fans perceive a need greater than FO. Maybe Reyes + some of the guys we’ve got as roster bodies is enough + Thomas. Although I’d say we easily could take a TE if it’s BPA as is likely the case with any position, FWIW. In this case fans see 1 year left for Thomas and think we HAVE to get a TE2 who could become a TE1 in 2022. Not saying we ignore it and don’t draft Freiermuth if he’s there at 51, but if the staff has had extension chats with Thomas and feels good about him as our long term TE1, maybe the idea of drafting a R2 or R3 TE becomes an afterthought especially if they like the other TEs chances of stepping into a solid TE2 role. We did apparently like some of the FA options this year so maybe we still go get a TE but maybe not until R4/5 if there’s someone the staff likes in that range (McKitty?)

TE is definitely a devastatingly glaring need. It's not some fan construct. There's literally one bona fide NFL body on the entire roster and if he somehow got hurt there is zilch. It seems inevitable this is addressed in the draft, but there's no first round TE available outside of Pitts (who should go very, very high). So it may no seem like a lot of chatter as it's not the top pick. But it will happen, quite possibly with multiple picks. Remember, Tight End is one of the hardest positions in the league to acclimate to. So you really need players in the pipeline for a season or two to properly address depth. The good news is that elite TEs do not require top picks. George Kittle was a 5th, Travis Kelce a 3rd, Darren Waller a 6th, Austin Hooper a 3rd, Zach Ertz a 2nd, etc... so there should be options.

@Jericho 100% agree on the developmental pipeline. Usually a TE has a fairly limited impact their rookie year. Even if we got Freiermuth at 51 my expectations wouldn’t be high for him in 2021. I also agree you can find options later as well. And let’s not forget we could trade for a TE. Asiati and Kean were drafted in R3 last year by NE and they added Jonnu and Henry this year so one might be available. Same with Njoku although that would have happened by now. Maybe OJ Howard shakes loose. So there are options, although most of those probably would have happened by now if they were to happen at all. 

Any TE drafted this year would be for 2022 and beyond. Rookie TEs just can’t be relied upon to put up big numbers. 

I'm still amazed by the number of posters willing to almost set a Day 2 draft pick on fire on burn it on a QB. Even though every team always thinks they've undercovered some gem of a player, they're wrong 95 % of the time. The track record for QBs with those picks is just abysmal. And the "hits" are basically Andy Dalton. Which has value, but it's a very underwhelming end result (and often results in QB purgatory). Doesn't mean you never try, but there's a good and bad time to attempt these type of moves. A non-first round QB should always be expected to be nothing more than a back-up. And a back-up QB is the last thing Washington needs. It already had three and many NFL teams only carry two QBs total on the final 53.

When I see people try to debate between Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, or Kyle Trask, I think the proper answer is none of the above. My one hope about this is draft is that Washington DOES NOT draft a QB unless its in the first round or on Day 3. Anything else will just delude a large segment on the fan base into think player X is the next big thing, when they're really just the next Geno Smith or Brock Osweiler.

We shouldn’t draft a QB in the second. 1st (trade up) or 4-7th.

RBs can be had in rounds 1-5 that will help us imo. Depends what is on the board at each pick but I won’t rule RB out anywhere in the draft.

Not a lot of receivers I’d be after in the mid rounds. Amari Rodgers/Dyami Browns are my targets there.

LB I favor Werner/Barnes/Moses. But I am 100% okay with Cox, Rice, etc.

Free is Moehrig/Sterns for me. If we go later and Ford falls I’d take a flyer despite testing. But it depends what else is there. Cisco and Holland are also obvious considerations.

Corner Farley has to be thought of as a risk. The potential steal is Shaun Wade in the mid rounds due to his poor year. Any of the first round corners are fantastic. 

Tackles for me it’s the top 3 in the first. Leatherwood/Cosmi in the second and then it’s more of a cluster**** later.

3rd round feels like the sweet spot for linebacker, and late 1st-3rd for tackles (though I think this range is from likely starters to good developmental guys).  Maybe 3rd-5th for FS?  I could see going receiver in the 2nd and drafting another later.  Unless we trade up or down, feels like our 1st rounder is going to be controversial with the board, be it one of the backers, Moehring (he might garner the most support of the group though), Harris/Etienne, Jenkins/Cosmi/Eichenberger, etc.

I like Buddy Johnson at LB.  Can't find too many cut ups but he looks fast and smart.  Good blitz production as well.  Very explosive downhill player and his closing speed is fantastic.  That big first step helps him wipe out block angles and beat climbing linemen to a fit near the LoS.  I think he could be a day three gem.

I started watching the Stills brothers from WVU and was entertained.  Darius is a punchy little bulldog of a DT with a very explosive first step and some pop in his hands.  He has conditioning issues and needs to play a rotation to keep his snaps down.  But he looks like a nice long leverage down 1/3 tech piece who is pretty smart and agile despite his hyper aggressive style and squatty build.  He'll be a late rounder because of his small size, but looks like a fun flier to take.

Archived