Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

On 9/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, GothSkinsFan said:

What's the rule on defenders running out of bounds and then coming back in to make the tackle?  That was #21.  Moses did not push him out.  He stepped out when he spun away from Moses.  Not that it affected the play, but it could have.

It doesn't matter.  He just can't be the first one to touch the ball unless he re-establishes himself back into the field of play.  He also cannot run out of bounds and continue down field without making a clear effort to re-establish himself in the field (meaning he can't run down the sideline weaving in and out of the bench players) to prevent a blocker from being able to block him, which is where the kick game comes into play like @Burgoldstated.  

At least that's how I understood it.  

8 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think we need to commit to AG, he needs a minimum of 15 touches a game imo. The whole gameplan seemed disjointed and lost, initially.   Barber should not be getting 17 touches imo. Empower the kid and lets see what he has. McKissic is no CT. Let 24 get busy.

I agree in principle.

I either read or heard somewhere that the issue is pass protection. Antonio's not always sure of what his responsibilities are on a given play.

So  for now they have limited his plays to those he is completely comfortable with not just as a runner/receiver but as a blocker. 

Hopefully this week he's ready for a larger portion on his plate.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

8 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think we need to commit to AG, he needs a minimum of 15 touches a game imo. The whole gameplan seemed disjointed and lost, initially.   Barber should not be getting 17 touches imo. Empower the kid and lets see what he has. McKissic is no CT. Let 24 get busy.

I know what you’re saying, but context is critical, as you know, Barber received many of those carries in short yardage and to close out the game. This will be his role and he does seem to be adept at getting the “tough” yards when needed. The game flow against the Eagles called for his role to the tune of 17 carries, don’t think that will be the norm, but not a bad thing as his carries per game I hypothesize will have a strong correlation in wins vs losses. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Barber was 17 carries for 29 yards. There is a reason they kept pounding him into a wall. It's not like Rivera was like "Did we get a full yard and a half on that one? **** yeah, let's do it again".  :ols:

Goal line and kill the clock.

Yeah I'm still confused by this coaching staff's apparent fascination with Barber. He's basically just a 225 lb ball that charges directly in whatever direction you point him and hope he can push his way through the wall he meets. 17 carries, 29 yards, 1.7 AVG. I can see the idea behind having a guy you can just pound over and over but that AVG is atrocious, and it's not an anomaly...his career AVG is 3.5 yards. Do we really need to a roster spot for that? 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm still confused by this coaching staff's apparent fascination with Barber. He's basically just a 225 lb ball that charges directly in whatever direction you point him and hope he can push his way through the wall he meets. 17 carries, 29 yards, 1.7 AVG. I can see the idea behind having a guy you can just pound over and over but that AVG is atrocious, and it's not an anomaly...his career AVG is 3.5 yards. Do we really need to a roster spot for that? 

When you just have to control the clock and get in the endzone, yes. McKissic certainly can't. I'm ready to see some B Love though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When you just have to control the clock and get in the endzone, yes. McKissic certainly can't. I'm ready to see some B Love though.

I suppose I can see that, but to me that's like keeping a roster spot for a receiver who can literally only run one route (and isn't even that great at running that one), because he's got really sure hands. Can't you find a guy with sure hands and who can also run more than one route?

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I suppose I can see that, but to me that's like keeping a roster spot for a receiver who can literally only run one route (and isn't even that great at running that one), because he's got really sure hands. Can't you find a guy with sure hands and who can also run more than one route?

Apparently not. lol

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Here's some B Love drills.

He's at 0:22 and 1:04.

Not so good the 2nd time.

Got an earful from his coach. "Bryce, you killin the bags !"

And not in a good way

• Haha 1

@TrancesWithWolves  @wit33 for sure Guys, I understand the context, the why’s, and how’s. Just saying that w/ an offense so devoid of game changing talent, I’d be pushing for this sooner rather than later. You can’t learn to swim if you don’t jump in the pool. Hoping they find the right balance for him to shine bright, ASAP, cuz we need it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I mean that's great in theory, my only concern is at that rate he'll have as many touches by week 5 and 6 as he had in his entire college career. To make that jump in touches and hits from the college level to the pro level, with no mini camp or preseason for him to start learning how to take care of his body for the long season, you are asking a lot out of him. I'm beyond worried about our running game since Barber didn't impress, Mckissic I'll give a pass since he didn't get many touches and was open on a few pass plays Haskins should have looked his way and didn't and forced some bad passes to him when he was blanketed. And of course Love was a scratch.. A young QB needs a run game to help his development and we have no real semblance of one.. Unless the plan is to bring Love in later to help out, we're one injury away from having some serious problems..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

@Playaction2Sanders yeah I’m not too worried about the effects on him from his lack of touches historically. He’s young, he’ll be fine I think. But you are right about the issues w/ the run game, we gotta get it going. I think the best way to do that is feed him. He got 11 touches Wk 1 so I’m sure as we go, he’ll get more and more. At least that’s my hope. 

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

As a former football coach, I believe drills should mimic the skills utilized in a game. Unfortunately, most of the football drills I see are ****ing useless. Including this one. 

In what universe is a back hopping in the same spot in a circle with one hand in the dirt. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

As a former football coach, I believe drills should mimic the skills utilized in a game. Unfortunately, most of the football drills I see are ****ing useless. Including this one. 

In what universe is a back hopping in the same spot in a circle with one hand in the dirt. 

Good question.

The only thing I could envision, is could it be to simulate scenarios where the runner is knocked "partially down" with a hand on the ground, and needs to regain footing and balance, in order to get back to his feet and avoid being completely down ? And relying on that one arm/hand to do so

Then again, I've never been a coach, so I'm just guessing.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Gibson may have had his touches or snap count capped for week 1. The guy is about as raw as any RB we will ever see get a week 1 start as a rook, right?  He got his feet wet, no major gaffes, and got him outta there. He hit that limit and out came Barber.

I think we would have seen Barber no matter the score - just less rushes because we were winning. If we were losing it would have been less Barber more McK.  Just a theory....

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1