Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We can re-open the economy all we want, 2020 is shot, we might as well accept none of what we need to re-open the economy will occur until a new administration is in power.

The guy doesn't want mass testing because he's convinced it will impact his poll numbers.  

This.  Anything Trump does this year, is only tied to him getting re-elected.

Trump knows the statute of limitations for his many pre-presidency crimes; are up during his 2nd term. So, getting re-elected is a must.

Reopening the economy the right way; will not happen under Trump.

We could see the 1 to 2 million deaths; once this is finally over.

26 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

There are more than enough threads about Trump.  😷

True, I'm just not sure how this conversation can be had without at least acknowledging the elephant in room.  Can we do this right without him isn't the question, he's doing everything he can to get in the way, the most powerful person in the country, POTUS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

You seem way too confident about that. New York state is going after him hard.

Once Trump is out of office, I can see a wave of "normalcy" and "American values" talk that will lead to everyone letting Trump skate.

That and he has created a white cult that this nation has never wanted to address but it will be forced to if he is charged. I don't see it.

• Like 2

Re: Testing

Shifting coronavirus timeline shows how much experts still don’t know – and why testing matters

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was severely restricting testing at the time to people who had traveled abroad, sought medical care for specific symptoms or were in close contact with an infected person. This unidentified person died at home, as did another individual who died in the county on Feb. 17.

But the local coroner performed autopsies on the two bodies and sent tissue samples to the CDC. Finally, after phone calls to federal authorities, they were tested. Both of the deceased had covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. So did a third person who died on March 6.

This news again alters the timeline of the contagion’s transmission on American soil. 

Initially, the nation’s earliest coronavirus fatality was believed to have occurred on Feb. 29 in a Seattle suburb. A few weeks ago, Washington state health officials linked two deaths on Feb. 26 to the disease.

Until the CDC alerted Santa Clara officials to the test results on Tuesday, that county’s first official fatality had taken place on March 9. But this latest news means someone died there more than a month earlier than previously known.

One of the reasons this is a huge deal is that local officials do not believe the person who died on Feb. 6 had traveled outside the country, although they’re still investigating. This suggests community transmission was underway in the San Francisco Bay Area far earlier than previously known.

Lately, I’ve received dozens of emails from readers who believe they had the coronavirus earlier in the year, before there was known community spread. While the seasonal flu was going around, and there are overlapping symptoms, this new timeline suggests some number of people indeed had coronavirus cases that were overlooked. Reliable antibody testing is still not widely available so folks cannot easily check their suspicions.

A man in Wuhan, China, was diagnosed with the virus in February. Two months later, he’s still living in a quarantine center because tests continue to show that he’s carrying the disease – even though he does not have any symptoms. Reuters reports that doctors in that area report a growing number of cases in which people appear to have recovered from the virus but continue to test positive, which means they can spread it.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

We have an online scheduling app for work, and i got the "Bam Fam Telegram" last night that our dining room will remain closed until we can open it safely, takeout & delivery are booming, and shifts are available for the takeout team. 

My sister works in a restaurant in Atlanta, and they are having a meeting today to discuss the new menu and procedures to be ready to re-open on Monday.  Glad she has her job back, but worried for her health. 

• Like 4

I don't think anybody's gonna boom, post Covid. And that's after pointing out that we probably won't BE post Covid, for a year or two. 

4 minutes ago, twa said:

How many of those opposing opening the economy are getting paid to stay home or work remotely?

Right. The folks  opposed to spreading a plague are motivated by selfish greed. 

Edited by Larry

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I don't think anybody's gonna boom, post Covid. And that's after pointing out that we probably won't BE post Covid, for a year or two. 

Right. The folks  opposed to spreading a plague are motivated by selfish greed. 

we might never be post covid.

I've reports of employees being mad they were being furloughed and paid instead of laid off.

https://qz.com/work/1838537/furloughed-workers-are-less-happy-than-those-laid-off-during-coronavirus/

you may call it what you wish

7 minutes ago, twa said:

we might never be post covid.

Keyword: might

There is a whole lot that is unknown about Covid.  The more time, the more we'll hopefully know how to effectively re-open the economy.

The ploy to re-open quickly by politicians smells a whole lot more like sending the bottom feeders out as guinea pigs, while the politicians point fingers from their bubble.  You won't see these governors out doing all the stuff they are directing their people to do.  And those poor people who feel they have to reopen are in for a rude awakening when doing a mere fraction of business costs them more than doing no business at all.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, twa said:

How many of those opposing opening the economy are getting paid to stay home or work remotely?

This is weak, I have co-workers scared to send their kids to school until they can be given some assurance of safety.  

This virus doesn't care about state lines, what am I supposed to do if Virginia keeps stay at home in affect because of Georgia spiking?

I don't agree the solution is to just "let it happen", it makes the economic damage we already did to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system be in vain.  What is it called to cut these folks pay and continue to force them into collapse of the healthcare system?

What's more important, protecting the economy or making sure there is a hospital that can help us when you or I eventually get sick from this?

It's a false choice pushed a lot for by folks who think they won't catch it, but they will, we all will and have do deal with it differently, especially because we are being told its worth it for the economy. An economy that as soon as we die will replace us with someone else if the budget allows it.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't agree the solution is to just "let it happen", it makes the economic damage we already did to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system be in vain. 

This part can't be emphasized enough.  This whole 'the numbers are going down' party just seems like making up a reason to throw a party.  Of course they are, because a lot of things shut down.  As soon as they open, the numbers go crazy again.  

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The ploy to re-open quickly by politicians smells a whole lot more like sending the bottom feeders out as guinea pigs, while the politicians point fingers from their bubble.  You won't see these governors out doing all the stuff they are directing their people to do.  And those poor people who feel they have to reopen are in for a rude awakening when doing a mere fraction of business costs them more than doing no business at all.

Wanting to sit home while others pay you and provide your essentials is unsustainable.

it ain't just politicians in that alleged bubble

1 minute ago, twa said:

Wanting to sit home while others pay you and provide your essentials is unsustainable.

How much pay are we talking that we aren't already doing with unemployment? 

The key has been suspending bills and the government keeping interest and utilities functioning, that's what Italy is doing.  We can do that for 2020 if we don't act like that's impossible. 

We shouldn't be talking about getting back to normal until we have the testing to confirm what we dealing with already, which some folks don't want to do so they can open the economy saying the numbers are down.  

1 minute ago, twa said:

Nobody said it was sustainable for a long period of time, there is no doubt that the economy has to re-open.  And there is no doubt others in that bubble.  All the CEO's that pad the pockets of said politicians.  All the rich folks that can insulate themselves from all this want nothing more than their workers to get back to making them money.

However, CEO's, small business owners, nobody can force people to visit their establishments, render their services and give them money.  So if you still have a large population of people that don't feel comfortable getting back out there - what good does it do you to open back up and leak money like crazy?