Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Thinking of taking a trip to Spain this summer. Actually thinking of doing Spain and Portugal, maybe Morocco as well. Anyone done anything similar?

I've done Spain only.

Segovia has an incredible castle and a massive Roman aquaduct. Barcelona, other than the small Gothic quarter and the handful of structures designed by Gaudi is dull as hell. The south is where it's at -Cordoba, Granada, and Sevilla.

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I've done Spain only.

Segovia has an incredible castle and a massive Roman aquaduct. Barcelona, other than the small Gothic quarter and the handful of structures designed by Gaudi is dull as hell. The south is where it's at -Cordoba, Granada, and Sevilla.

Did you go to Ibiza or the Canary Islands? How about Madrid?

On 2/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, Warhead36 said:

Thinking of taking a trip to Spain this summer. Actually thinking of doing Spain and Portugal, maybe Morocco as well. Anyone done anything similar?

That trip in next on my list.  I want to go to the Haro Wine Festival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haro_Wine_Festival

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

whadayamean?   You've been a sellout for years...

For rent at times 😎

I swing a mean hammer even at this advanced age, unfortunately my tolerance for humans is wearing thin.

18 hours ago, twa said:

I think I'm gonna sell out and retire, **** this BS.

i took an early out at 65 (making financial sacrifice) and as much as i was dedicated to and deeply interested in my work am very glad i did---there's the obvious commonplace downsides but some of the freedoms are delicious

1 hour ago, twa said:

I swing a mean hammer even at this advanced age, unfortunately my tolerance for humans is wearing thin.

well, from my pov, i'm not sure i see the conflict here

i see more an opportunity to use a well-practiced skill as a problem-solving mechanism

i should note that most of my money has gone to lawyers over the years

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I sold out as soon as I had the proper licensure to do so, for this reason. 

i struggled with proper licensing between the drink, the drugs, and my penchant for violence, but sold out my principles early on which helped financially

like i said in one training "what's ethics got to do with me getting a new porsche?"

9 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i struggled with proper licensing between the drink, the drugs, and my penchant for violence, but sold out my principles early on which helped financially

like i said in one training "what's ethics got to do with me getting a new porsche?"

If they didn't license lawyers who drink and do drugs, there wouldn't be very many. :)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Grad school is sort of difficult 😕

to go into "academia" in my early forties after being very accomplished in a field unrelated to what i was about to pursue, with the aim being a doctorate from a highly ranked program and having to get a goddam g.e.d. as a starting point was one of the most challenging, often quite daunting, things i've ever engaged on just about every level...not my comfort zone for quite awhile

during the grad school phase i ran into lots of people who were working while taking a full load and many of them were parents...i was most impressed with them (particularly the women)...i never had to worry about providing for/raising kids during my stint and while i took many credits each time i only had to work outside school part time

i also saw first-hand something i'd learned long ago...a number of people i knew would do the "book learning" shtick, dissing academically-gained knowledge vs "life experience"...this is mainly nonsense of course...most of these folks i met had all the life experience (durr) other humans have in general, they just added academic pursuits to their life..i know there are a small percentage of privileged folks who never have to do such and go to schools and get big jobs but that doesn't describe the vast majority of folks who work to validly earn a master's degree (or go further) in a quality program...same deal of course in "deciding" someone who didn't go to grad school can't possibly know quite a lot about quite a lot cuz they have zero academic experience beyond high school

to all who complete that academic grind, i applaud you, and hopefully you did it either for something you're really interested in or can make decent money via applying the knowledge....ideally both

(long, but random :D)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I sweat to god, "LEEDS Certification", the designation they give to energy efficient buildings, is just an excuse for the landlord to not provide heat in the winter.

Don't even get me started on the horrible hand dryer machines that are so ****ing loud with the high pitch screeching....they sound like a 777 about to take off