Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

One more surgery until life opens a new chapter.  Abdominal hernia mesh install at noon today.  Pretty common for folks who have had a major abdominal procedure in the past and I’ll likely be discharged this evening.  Two weeks recovery and then it’s the Summer of Love!

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

Good luck TTB!

So every day I post a 'today's cool photo' of an F/A-18 or an EA-18G on my Twitter feed.
This morning I posted this one, and the Captain of the USS Eisenhower weighed in on it from the Red Sea.
image.png.1c84dee81de392d35616d71e75d8dc2f.png

~Dang!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

First person to get a geneticly modified pig kidney died jus a couple months later for "unrelated reasons"...

We are better off cloning our own organs via stem cell research, pushing the limits of nature in a direction we probably shouldn't be messing with, even if it works, jus because that's what we got working right now.

I'm also not buying our current societal constructs are ready for that kind of lifespan anyway...on a micro level it sounds interesting...on a macro level it could change more then we wanna admit to yet.

Quality of life is important to me...I'm not interested in being a mix of machine and animal parts but still need a wheel chair to get around for another 200 years...sounds whack.

Until they can address what causes aging in the first place, we're talking about cheating death in a way that could cost us more then jus dying.

We're lucky our population is predicted to stabilize end of this century to give us a chance to be more efficient and less detrimental to this planet...tripling or quadrupling our average lifespan, no telling what impact that has.

We currently die for a reason, we sure we want to live forever or jus afraid of dying?  Those aren't the same thing.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We are better off cloning our own organs via stem cell research, pushing the limits of nature in a direction we probably shouldn't be messing with, even if it works, jus because that's what we got working right now.

I think that timeline becomes the plot of The Island

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

In Chipotle right now and there is a family with their dog in line. Not a service animal situation. I’m not meant for this world anymore.

I'd never do it, but the line between service animal and pet has become very blurred.

I worship dogs. But I sort of agree and don't think they belong in eating locations unless they are properly trained and vested. I see too many of them in the mall now, tbh. And a lot of malls have become 25% or more food driven these days. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd never do it, but the line between service animal and pet has become very blurred.

I worship dogs. But I sort of agree and don't think they belong in eating locations unless they are properly trained and vested. I see too many of them in the mall now, tbh. And a lot of malls have become 25% or more food driven these days. 

You still go to the mall?

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

First person to get a geneticly modified pig kidney died jus a couple months later for "unrelated reasons"...

I'm also not buying our current societal constructs are ready for that kind of lifespan anyway...on a micro level it sounds interesting...on a macro level it could change more then we wanna admit to yet.

Quality of life is important to me...I'm not interested in being a mix of machine and animal parts but still need a wheel chair to get around for another 200 years...sounds whack.

Until they can address what causes aging in the first place, we're talking about cheating death in a way that could cost us more then jus dying.

We're lucky our population is predicted to stabilize end of this century to give us a chance to be more efficient and less detrimental to this planet...tripling or quadrupling our average lifespan, no telling what impact that has.

We currently die for a reason, we sure we want to live forever or jus afraid of dying?  Those aren't the same thing.

Ur just trying to get out of that Elon Musk bet we made.

199 years, ur totally owing me a beer.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Why would anyone want live to 300 much less forever? Retirement age 276. Oooo wow fun!!!

Plus if people are living that long, that means that they aren't dying so the world will become overpopulated as more people are born.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, China said:

Plus if people are living that long, that means that they aren't dying so the world will become overpopulated as more people are born.

It's already overpopulated imo. So many palookas and jabronis. Not ta mention all the pencil neck geeks. 🤣

• Haha 2

Surgery successful and discharged.  Resting comfortably with some flower and the pups.

From literally hours away from the grave in Jan 22 to a nearly full recovery.  One in a million is not much of an exaggeration.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 16

10 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

One more surgery until life opens a new chapter.  Abdominal hernia mesh install at noon today.  Pretty common for folks who have had a major abdominal procedure in the past and I’ll likely be discharged this evening.  Two weeks recovery and then it’s the Summer of Love!

I had that a couple months ago. Mine was "robot assisted." 🤖

Right after it, I started seeing ads, for the first time, from law firms saying that many people were suffering with complications from "problems with the mesh material"  😑 😄, and offering to represent you.

Follow the recovery instructions and prepare for coughs or sneezes to give you an out of body experience. 😬

I had to cut out my current sideline---table dancing (mainly the handstands). Not a big deal. Tips were only so-so.

Ah, just noted you already had it and have posted again. Never mind.😁

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, China said:

Birth rate is going down.

But until brain transplant are a thing we won’t live 100 years plus…. The organs are for people who have had some kinda trama or disease and are 35. They don’t do major transplants on 70 years olds…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Birth rate is going down.

But until brain transplant are a thing we won’t live 100 years plus…. The organs are for people who have had some kinda trama or disease and are 35. They don’t do major transplants on 70 years olds…

I agree with most of what you said except the living past 100 part.

You see these documentaries of people over 100 or get the chance to met one they still there.  It's almost like if they're going to get a degenerative brain disorder like alzhimers or dementia they'd have it by then.

One day we'll figure out how to get our bodies to be in better condition without so much effort to handle transplants in our 70s, but that'll be after we figure out a more effective way to replace organs and cut down body rejecting them.

I'm still not convinced anyone wants to live to 300...ever read a vampire book that didnt have at least one where that wasn't something that bothered the hell out of them in one way or another?  Just because we as individuals make it a certain point doesn't mean people we care about will.

This whole convo made me think of a really good Black Mirror episode:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Junipero

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

The thing that gets me is that you have a dog in a place where people eat. Dogs lick their buttholes. I don’t want that when I choose to go out to eat. Some people are allergic. Other people bring in their dogs, are the dogs going to get along? What can you do? The people working the line who ask me if I want brown or white rice and give me white when I ask for brown don’t need to be dealing with people complaining. That shouldn’t be their job. You talk to the person with the dog. How’s that going to go? 

It’s just the selfishness of it all. If you have a need for a service dog, that dog needs to be vested in my opinion.

• Thumb up 1

Yeah **** all that having pets in a restaurant. 

there’s a pretty popular breakfast diner by job and I was seating outside. The customer next to me had a cute friendly dog. This dumbass waiter pets the dog and then hands me my food. 

lucky I’m a disgusting male or else I would have refused the food.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

The layoffs at work started. 

I called out sick today. Coincidence. Absolutely, I missed out on the drama. 

I remember being IT at a company that made Library software and being asked to change the WiFi password first thing in the morning before people came in for work.

First person comes in she's directed right to the conference room and laid off.  One of the other ones decided to work remote that day so they called him and laid him off over the phone instead.

30 years in the company between the two of them.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1