Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

For folks who know their way around relocating, I'm moving out of state soon, and looking to hire movers.  I'm getting the full-pack service.  I'm finding quotes to be pretty expensive for these all-in-one services.

I notice that they send over folks to pack and load your stuff onto the truck locally, and then send those people across the state with the truck to also unload.  Sounds like it isn't a good use of labor and would be better to hire local packers to pack my stuff and load it onto a truck, have the truck driven up to my new location, and hire locals at the new location to unload the truck.

Any thoughts on this?  How easy is it to manage splitting up the job, and should one expect reasonable savings doing it that way?  I've got a relocation assistance package, but it doesn't cover the quotes I'm getting.

As a @PokerPacker  :ols:,  I would suggest packing your own stuff.  You know how you want it wherever you're going. 

My parents made a move like you're describing, but I would never let anyone see my stuff.  Never. 

I'm just getting around to finding all of my things that are worth thousands and thousands of $.   I'd never let a single person that I don't know handle it. 

Btw, is anyone interested in the Cal Ripken Jr. "2131" plate?  It's gorgeous, and I think my mom still has the one I gave my grandfather, so there may be 2.  I know I still have the authenticity. 

23 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

As a @PokerPacker  :ols:,  I would suggest packing your own stuff.  You know how you want it wherever you're going. 

Oh how wrong you are.  I even start thinking about packing and my mind just glazes right over.  I absolutely need professional packing help not because I'm too good or too important to pack, or even too lazy (well, maybe a little), but I just can't actually do it.

23 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My parents made a move like you're describing, but I would never let anyone see my stuff.  Never. 

I'm just getting around to finding all of my things that are worth thousands and thousands of $.   I'd never let a single person that I don't know handle it. 

I used movers to pack my stuff when I moved back here from San Antonio and it was delightful.  No stress, just let them do their job, and boy were they so much better at it than I'd ever be.

Unpacking is fine.  I can take my sweet time and deal with things as they come.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Unpacking is fine.  I can take my sweet time and deal with things as they come.

I had 2 storage containers for 15 years at $100/month.  I got it out 2 years ago.  Still working through it.  So many boxes and so much stuff that had to go to make me fit into my home, and now I'm gonna sell most of the stuff that cost so much to keep. 

Anyone know a Niners fan?  I've got the plate of Joe's completion to Dwight Clark with both of their signatures in 14k gold.  Authenticity included. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Heck yea.

Sending you a pic. 

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I had 2 storage containers for 15 years at $100/month.  I got it out 2 years ago.  Still working through it.  So many boxes and so much stuff that had to go to make me fit into my home, and now I'm gonna sell most of the stuff that cost so much to keep.

Yeah, paying for storage is something else.  Meanwhile, I'm upgrading by 130 square feet, so everything should fit nicely in my domicile rather than having to pay for separate storage.

• Thumb up 1

Last day on the job today.  I was originally scheduled for my last day to be tomorrow, but my vindictive little boss decided to take me off.  Gonna chill and get some housework done this weekend, then follow up on the leads I've gotten on Monday. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Last day on the job today.  I was originally scheduled for my last day to be tomorrow, but my vindictive little boss decided to take me off.  Gonna chill and get some housework done this weekend, then follow up on the leads I've gotten on Monday. 

Sounds like you made the right choice quitting.  Go give your kitties some day-time snuggles for me.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Go give your kitties some day-time snuggles for me.

I did!  We're having a very enjoyable evening.  I cleaned out the frig of all leftover side items for dinner, they got theirs, Vicki got her insulin shot.  Windows are open because it's mid-60s, so that's where they're hanging out--on watch for squirrels, birds, and other kitties. 

I noticed Smoke on the deck yesterday and he has a collar on now.  He and Cameron like to climb up the tree that grows next to the deck and hang out on the roof.  I've never seen either go up but I've seen 'em come down & it's pretty funny!  :ols:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yall ever just said "Eff it," and thought about converted van living?

Have you been fantasizing about this chick again?

But maybe it's not such a great idea...

• Like 1

Just now, TradeTheBeal! said:

For several years, Matthew McConaughey spent winters living in an airstream on the beach near Malibu…and he may still, as far as I know.  

So that seems like a doable type of “van life”.

I'm kinda thinking his budget makes anything more doable

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I lived in an 18 foot trailer for a summer (2013) with my dog.  The only thing it had that a conversion van probably wouldn't was a shower the size of a phone booth.  It was a mind cleansing/simplifying experience to be dissociated from all my stuff and live with what I could fit in that little thing.  Being in various spectacular parts of Alaska during those three months helped a great deal.  In the end though, like a good American, I missed all my stuff back home and was glad to get back to it.  

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Thumb up 2