Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/16/science/covid-wuhan-market-raccoon-dogs-lab-leak.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20230317&instance_id=87913&nl=from-the-times&regi_id=174527447&segment_id=127982&te=1&user_id=e7de7e282bcffdf4504d80ade80415ea

New Data Links Pandemic’s Origins to Raccoon Dogs at Wuhan Market

Genetic samples from the market were recently uploaded to an international database and then removed after scientists asked China about them.

An international team of virus experts said on Thursday that they had found genetic data from a market in Wuhan, China, linking the coronavirus with raccoon dogs for sale there, adding evidence to the case that the worst pandemic in a century could have been ignited by an infected animal that was being dealt through the illegal wildlife trade.

The genetic data was drawn from swabs taken from in and around the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market starting in January 2020, shortly after the Chinese authorities had shut down the market because of suspicions that it was linked to the outbreak of a new virus. By then, the animals had been cleared out, but researchers swabbed walls, floors, metal cages and carts often used for transporting animal cages.

SARASOTA, Fla. — The turmoil at Sarasota Memorial, one of Florida’s largest public hospitals, began last year after three candidates running on a platform of “health freedom” won seats on the nine-member board that oversees the hospital. Board meetings, once sleepy, started drawing hundreds of angry people who, like the new members, denounced the hospital’s treatment protocols for Covid-19. 

An internal review last month found that Sarasota Memorial did far better than some of its competitors in saving Covid patients’ lives. But that did little to quell detractors, whose campaign against the hospital has not relented. By then, the hospital had become the latest public institution under siege by an increasingly large and vocal right-wing contingent in one of Florida’s most affluent counties, where a backlash to pandemic policies has started reshaping local government. 

Some members of the Sarasota County Public Hospital Board and medical staff at Sarasota Memorial are bewildered and taken aback by critics’ continued preoccupation with Covid policy — chiefly the avoidance of ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, drugs found to be ineffective or even harmful as Covid treatments.

Why are there elected positions for a hospital?

On 3/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, Riggo-toni said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/16/science/covid-wuhan-market-raccoon-dogs-lab-leak.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20230317&instance_id=87913&nl=from-the-times&regi_id=174527447&segment_id=127982&te=1&user_id=e7de7e282bcffdf4504d80ade80415ea

New Data Links Pandemic’s Origins to Raccoon Dogs at Wuhan Market

Genetic samples from the market were recently uploaded to an international database and then removed after scientists asked China about them.

An international team of virus experts said on Thursday that they had found genetic data from a market in Wuhan, China, linking the coronavirus with raccoon dogs for sale there, adding evidence to the case that the worst pandemic in a century could have been ignited by an infected animal that was being dealt through the illegal wildlife trade.

The genetic data was drawn from swabs taken from in and around the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market starting in January 2020, shortly after the Chinese authorities had shut down the market because of suspicions that it was linked to the outbreak of a new virus. By then, the animals had been cleared out, but researchers swabbed walls, floors, metal cages and carts often used for transporting animal cages.

This would potentially be the most compelling evidence in regards to a lab leak v. wet market.  We will see what comes of this but I was leaning towards lab leak for years, but this has the potential to be a game changer.

• Thumb up 1

On 3/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, philibusters said:

This would potentially be the most compelling evidence in regards to a lab leak v. wet market.  We will see what comes of this but I was leaning towards lab leak for years, but this has the potential to be a game changer.

I don't have a NYT subscription so I wasn't originally able to read the article and kind of guessed the content based on the headline.  After finding out more, this is not direct evidence, so its not a game changer.  It is information that could make the wet market origin hypothesis more likely, but at this point there is a lot of indirect evidence on both sides so this doesn't really move the needle much.

I somehow got Covid for a third time. 

Someone’s lying to me because apparently none of the incredibly small number of people I was around are or were sick. 

the worst part is I visited my parents. Mom has cancer. Been seeing them a lot more recently. And now they both have it. She’s pretty sick and has to stop her treatments. 

we’ve been going back and forth about who and when and if we’ll bring people down to the lake this summer to go out in our new boat. 

at this point i don’t think I can bring anyone. And likely need to generally not hang out with people at all, if I want to go down there. 

it sucks you just can’t trust anyone to go “you know what, I don’t feel quite right and might be coming down with something, let’s hold off on getting together tonight and set something up once I figure this out”

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Someone’s lying to me because apparently none of the incredibly small number of people I was around are or were sick. 

the worst part is I visited my parents. Mom has cancer. Been seeing them a lot more recently. And now they both have it. She’s pretty sick and has to stop her treatments. 

we’ve been going back and forth about who and when and if we’ll bring people down to the lake this summer to go out in our new boat. 

at this point i don’t think I can bring anyone. And likely need to generally not hang out with people at all, if I want to go down there. 

it sucks you just can’t trust anyone to go “you know what, I don’t feel quite right and might be coming down with something, let’s hold off on getting together tonight and set something up once I figure this out”

That's what happened to me. I ended up exposing my mom to it and she landed in the hospital for a week. People suck.

• Sad 3

Get well tshile. Hope you and parents have little to no symptoms.  

I'm thankful to have not gotten it. Still 😷 in public and workplace seems to have worked for me. Also making sure I wash hands and/or use sanitizer when in public spaces has been beneficial.

Finally..me being generally unlikeable helps. 😁

4 minutes ago, China said:

That sucks.  But you shouldn't be surprised.  As a society, we have long encouraged that kind of behavior when people feel like the have to come to the office when they're only a little sick.  

I think it's s instilled from primary school. Remember when they use to give awards to kids who didn't miss school all year? God knows how sick those kids made others.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, tshile said:

I am sorry to hear about your mother's situation.  That really sucks.

In fairness to your friends, it is really hard to tell between a cold, the flu, and covid.  I have never tested positive for covid, but over the last three years since covid started I got mildly sick probably more than a dozen times.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of those sickness was covid.  I work a quasi-customer service job where I met in person with about a half dozen or more people a day.  Because I shake hands and things like that, I have always just gotten minor illnesses like 5 times a year for the last 10 years.   So I don't think much of minor sicknesses.  

If I had a friend who gave me a heads up about being particularly careful, then I wouldn't hang out with them if I felt sick at all, but if they didn't tell me anything, I wouldn't think anything of hanging out if I have a minor sickness.

My father died yesterday of a massive heart attack. Putting his final days together, I’m positive Covid killed him. So I get to deal will having killed my father for the rest of my life. Which is just a fantastic thing to look forward to. 

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for right now, between dealing with the absurd amount of stuff that comes with dealing with a death, and figuring out how to deal with my mom and her grief and cancer treatments, there’s really no time to process things. 

i need a safe place to just type this out and deal with it without everyone around me feeding me bull**** about how Covid had nothing to do with it. Sorry but I know too much due to my wife’s job, and I can timeline things out easily and it all matches. 

if you have an elderly parent get Covid, make sure they call 911 at the sign of any serious symptoms. The ambulance ride is cheaper than death, so being overly concerned is worth it. 

love this place and you guys. No idea when I’ll be back. I got a rough couple months ahead. Lots to do, and for better or worse I’m the only one that can do it. 

• Sad 11

Part of me wants to say that that's a heck of a leap to "I killed my father".  

Part of me knows that if it had happened to me?  I'd be making the same leap, warranted or not.  I'm a master at heaping guilt on myself.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

My father died yesterday of a massive heart attack. Putting his final days together, I’m positive Covid killed him. So I get to deal will having killed my father for the rest of my life. Which is just a fantastic thing to look forward to. 

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for right now, between dealing with the absurd amount of stuff that comes with dealing with a death, and figuring out how to deal with my mom and her grief and cancer treatments, there’s really no time to process things. 

i need a safe place to just type this out and deal with it without everyone around me feeding me bull**** about how Covid had nothing to do with it. Sorry but I know too much due to my wife’s job, and I can timeline things out easily and it all matches. 

if you have an elderly parent get Covid, make sure they call 911 at the sign of any serious symptoms. The ambulance ride is cheaper than death, so being overly concerned is worth it. 

love this place and you guys. No idea when I’ll be back. I got a rough couple months ahead. Lots to do, and for better or worse I’m the only one that can do it. 

So very sorry.   Wishing the best for you & your family. 

We're all here for you. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Sorry to hear about that.  Best wishes to you, and make sure to take time to take care of yourself, whatever that may be.  Like they say, you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Part of me wants to say that that's a heck of a leap to "I killed my father".  

Part of me knows that if it had happened to me?  I'd be making the same leap, warranted or not.  I'm a master at heaping guilt on myself.  

In late 2020, my wife and I spent a week at her parent's remote cabin in rural New England, just the 2 of us. At one point, she debated visiting her grandmother in a nursing home not far away. Since we live near Pittsburgh, she knew this might be her last chance to see her, as she was already not doing well. This was before there were reliable quick-Covid tests to do at home, so just to be safe she decided against it. 2 weeks later her Grandmother died of what may or may not have been Covid related pneumonia. She was obviously upset about not getting to see her 1 last time, but I reminded my wife that I know her mental state. That even though we know for a fact now that she didn't get Covid from us, that if nothing else had changed except that we did visit her, she'd be wondering for the rest of her life if she's the one that killed her with something possibly Covid related.

I refused to visit my own (only still living) grandmother until both of and my grandmother got the 1st round of vaxxes. I completely understand knowing it might not be somebody's fault by also knowing that there's no realistic way to talk them out of that guilt.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, tshile said:

Man, sending major prayers out to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is COVID back in NYC? Wastewater surveillance shows virus is rising.

New Yorkers who've noticed more sniffles and coughs during their subway commutes aren’t imagining things. Wastewater monitoring is showing early signs of a coronavirus rebound in New York City and some surrounding suburbs.

All 14 wastewater treatment plants across NYC are reporting high concentrations of SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, according to the dashboard run by NYS Wastewater Surveillance Network. A “high” ranking translates to at least 50 or more COVID cases per 100,000 people.

The dashboard also gives a readout on two-week trends. The current rise dates back to late April for most sewersheds in the city, though ones covering Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens and part of the Bronx recorded the starkest upturn over recent weeks. Wastewater from Yonkers, New Rochelle and parts of Rockland county are also trending upward with their coronavirus concentrations.

Wastewater sites share data with the state dashboard on a regular basis, and as of Wednesday, the latest tranche of NYC recordings dates to May 21 — meaning the increase was underway ahead of Memorial Day gatherings. The state health department told Gothamist that test positivity — the percentage of diagnostic tests showing an infection — has also risen slightly, though experts said this measure is harder to trust now that laboratory testing is less common.

The New York City health commissioner confirmed the wastewater uptick, but he and public health researchers said it’s too early to tell if the rise indicates the start of a full blown wave.

Click on the link for the full article

I got sick in in March.  In April and early May was like, "Mask is back!".   Now I am double thinking myself.  Soely due to peer pressure.  Is COVID going around or not?  I read somewhere that we catch virsues more than we know, but many are really assymtomatic.  Are we getting assymtomatic cases of COVID?  

People wouldn't be like "Everyone else is drinking and driving... I'm gonna do it too...".