Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The conservatives that are chest thumping about this DOE report about their “low confidence” that it started in a lab really are something. 

They will grasp on anything to dissolve their culpability.  Conservatives are why covid-19 has killed a million+ people in the US.

• Like 1

Honestly, if it was a “lab leak” that feels like good news to me. Lab security/protocols can be fixed/improved and I absolutely think that “gain of function” research to stay ahead of the next potential pandemic is a very good idea.

Much easier to tighten that down than it is to keep Chinese hill-people from eating Bat foot soup or Pangolin tongue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t see how it being a lab leak is better. There will always be leaks, no matter how good protocols are, because it’s humans that have to follow them.

The big thing is that it call into question (US) government support for the research.  How good do protocols have to be and how much effort do we have to put in to make sure they are being followed for the research (in this case going to caves where bats live and collecting to see what viruses they have) to actually be beneficial?

If the answer is that the net gain for the research is likely to be minimal or even negative, then you stop funding and then at least much of it stops.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

The big thing is that it call into question (US) government support for the research.  How good do protocols have to be and how much effort do we have to put in to make sure they are being followed for the research (in this case going to caves where bats live and collecting to see what viruses they have) to actually be beneficial?

If the answer is that the net gain for the research is likely to be minimal or even negative, then you stop funding and then at least much of it stops.

Pretty sure that not one person pointing fingers at this report, is doing so for reasons of scientific validity. Or fiscal prudence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Pretty sure that not one person pointing fingers at this report, is doing so for reasons of scientific validity. Or fiscal prudence. 

The conversation of the risks/reward of research in scientific literature related to viral pathogens pre-dates the pandemic (e.g. https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1001646; Where PLOS is a respected scientific journal).

As the paper states support for that research is based on measures of risks and rewards (e.g.

• The Nuremberg Code, a seminal statement of clinical research ethics, mandates that experiments that pose a risk to human life should be undertaken only if they provide humanitarian benefits that sufficiently offset the risks and if these benefits are unachievable by safer means.
  • A novel PPP research program of moderate size would pose substantial risks to human life, even optimistically assuming a low probability that a pandemic would ensue from a laboratory accident.

)

This pandemic adds an important data point (where we have few data points) in the era of modern medicine to our understanding of those risks and rewards.  While people here, the media, and other places might not talk about this report, the other reports, and the evidence for and against a lab accident vs. natural evolution/exposure in terms of risks and rewards and funding, it will happen in science community and in the scientific literature.

The debate over how much sense it made to fund work on potential pandemic pathogens was happening in the scientific community before the pandemic.  It continues and how the pandemic started will become an important part of that debate.

Edited by PeterMP

I have felt the lab leak hypothesis was plausible since the spring 2021..  That said, it very much remains an open question as neither side has any telling proof.

I do think it is somewhat telling though how the lab leak was downplayed.  I think the scientific establishment that studies these viruses was self-interested in ruling out the lab leak hypothesis right away and most (certainly not all) of the media just ignored that bias because for purposes their political narrative they preferred the animal origin.  And the animal origin may prove to be correct, it remains an open question, but I do think we saw of a failure of the media on this issue.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t see how it being a lab leak is better. There will always be leaks, no matter how good protocols are, because it’s humans that have to follow them.

Theoretically you could just discontinue the type of research being done (the research was aimed at finding likely future sources of virus that could transmit to humans and studying them so we would be prepared if they did transmit and start an outbreak).

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Theoretically you could just discontinue the type of research being done (the research was aimed at finding likely future sources of virus that could transmit to humans and studying them so we would be prepared if they did transmit and start an outbreak).

Yea, but it seems like humans exist to built better weapons.

US agencies debunk Florida surgeon general's vaccine claims

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — U.S. health agencies have sent a letter to Florida's surgeon general, warning him that his claims about COVID-19 vaccine risks are harmful to the public.

The letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was sent Friday to Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo. It was a response to a letter Ladapo had written the agencies last month, expressing concerns about what he described as adverse effects from mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.

Ladapo was appointed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2021 and has attracted national scrutiny over his close alignment with the governor in opposing COVID-19 vaccine mandates and other health policies embraced by the federal government.

Ladapo last year released guidance recommending against COVID-19 vaccinations for healthy children, contradicting federal public health leaders whose advice says all kids should get the shots.

He also has recommended against men ages 18 to 39 getting the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, claiming that an analysis by the Florida Department of Health showed an 84% increase in cardiac-related deaths.

In their letter, the federal agencies debunked the analysis' conclusion, saying that cardiovascular experts who studied the concern had concluded that the risk of strokes and heart attacks was lower in people who had been vaccinated, not higher.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-agencies-debunk-florida-surgeon-164345808.html

8 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Three years later and I had my first confirmed positive test.  Feeling weak and achy, sore and scratchy throat.  Bummer.  

I suppose I have just thrown caution to the wind, going maskless, so it was just a matter of time.  

Sorry that happened.  Hope you get back to normal soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2