Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

19 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I got sick in in March.  In April and early May was like, "Mask is back!".   Now I am double thinking myself.  Soely due to peer pressure.  Is COVID going around or not?  I read somewhere that we catch virsues more than we know, but many are really assymtomatic.  Are we getting assymtomatic cases of COVID?  

People wouldn't be like "Everyone else is drinking and driving... I'm gonna do it too...". 

COVID will never go away officially. I havent masked in over a year. I see plenty of people that still do. I think each their own. The people that I laugh at are the ones that are masking outdoors not in a crowd just walking by themselves or in a car by themself. 

• 1 month later...

1 in 4 Americans hadn't contracted COVID by the end of 2022, CDC estimates

By the end of 2022, about one in four American adults and older teenagers still hadn't contracted COVID-19, according to new federal data.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been tracking seroprevalence -- antibodies in the blood -- by collecting samples nationwide from blood donors between January and December 2022

The data suggests 77.5% of those aged 16 and older had antibodies from COVID-19 infection by the time 2022 ended, according to the agency's final estimates, which is up from the 48.8% estimate at the beginning of the year.

Click on the link for the full article

Glad to be in that less than 22.5%

I wonder what percentage of those who have contracted, have had it more than 1x? Seems like most people I know who have had it, have had it more than once. Somehow the wife and me have stayed away from it. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

GOP rep. blames 'penguins' for ruining the Covid lab leak theory

Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY) suggested "penguins" were to blame for convincing some scientists that Covid-19 was created in nature.

At a House Oversight Committee hearing on Tuesday, Malliotakis asked two professors why scientists initially discounted a theory that the Covid-19 virus leaked from a lab.

"All of a sudden, you did a 180, and [said] it couldn't possibly come from a lab or maybe, but you're all saying that you know, this was by sure from nature," Malliotakis said. "What happened in those three days?"

Tulane University School of Medicine Professor Robert Garry explained that researchers were following the science.

"Where did that data come from?" Malliotakis pressed.

"The scientific literature, you know, the publication of the pangolin genomic sequence showed that there was a receptor binding domain," Garry said. "And it was a very important piece of data because it showed that a lot of the theories about, you know, the virus having been engineered or put together in a laboratory were not true because here was a virus in nature that had a receptor binding domain with exactly the same structure."

Malliotakis confused the research on pangolins, which resembles an anteater, with penguins.

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

Ron Johnson Says COVID Was ‘Pre-Planned’ in Batsh*t Fox News Rant

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) went on an epic fear-mongering rant on Friday, telling Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo that COVID-19 was “pre-planned” by unnamed elites with the goal of taking away human rights. “This is all pre-planned by an elite group of people,” Johnson said when discussing the pandemic and vaccines with the right-wing TV host, adding that this group wants “to take total control over our lives.” Of course, Johnson failed to mention a single member of this “elite group” that has such an influence over the nation, and suggested no motive for them wanting to take “total control” over our lives and freedoms, either. But apparently, according to the senator, the group is already accomplishing their goals “bit by bit.” “They do it by massive government spending, increasing the size of government, taking over the WHO,” he said.

• Haha 1

It's baaaack!

No, you don't have the 'August flu.' It's probably COVID.

Feeling feverish? Got a cough or a headache? You probably don't have an "August flu," but actually COVID-19.

"We know that flu really is seasonal," Dr. Noha Aboelata, an Oakland, CA-based family medicine physician told Insider. "We can even look at wastewater and see that while COVID is certainly still circulating in the environment, there actually isn't a flu A or B circulating at the moment."

Aboelata recently took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to post an interaction she had. "Recently overheard: 'I think I got a summer flu.' Highly improbable!"

I got a second round of Covid back in June. It was mild and it only bothered me for 3 days. Didn’t know I had until

my dad said get tested. So, took the test twice.  

I got it from my sister. What’s ironic, my roommate who was sick first didn’t even test positive; so he was just sick with no covid.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The reason the flu has a season is cause more people are inside interacting with each other correct 🤷‍♀️

No.

Flu season is temperature driven. Cold temps = drier air = dehydrated mucous membranes = less protection against respiratory viruses (viruses also live longer on surfaces in colder temps). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

No.

Flu season is temperature driven. Cold temps = drier air = dehydrated mucous membranes = less protection against respiratory viruses (viruses also live longer on surfaces in colder temps). 

Not sure about mucous membranes.  I see it normally explained by viruses living longer in drier air too (dry cold air good for viral survival).

But that's at least incomplete because places without winter, normally have flu "season" during the rainy season which contradicts the drier air theories.

It is probably a case where there isn't one simple cause/explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I'll get the jab when it's available. Treating it as an annual shot like the flu shot is the right mindset for me. 

Amen. If I can time it to get this and the Flushot at the same time, on a Friday. Then I'll have all weekend if I feel crappy from the Flooster combo again. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1