Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Operation Golf Cart.

Under the correct set of circumstances you can actually get a golf cart up to significant speed.  I almost jumped a fishery with one.

...almost.

On a completely unrelated note: you don'y have to reference all your prior employers in a job application.

So lets see...

Republicans entire platform is basically "gov't doesn't work"

Republicans enact legislation to hamstring funding the gov't properly

Republicans develop a gov't run vaccine distribution plan

Vaccine distribution plan isn't working

...yup...not surprised.

• Haha 3

On 12/27/2020 at 1:12 PM, Jabbyrwock said:

60-80% is generally accepted as the range for "herd immunity" which will "starve out" the virus...it really depends on a number of factors other than just the number of people with immunity.  Does innoculation=immunity, no...but right now it seems to be 90% effective or so.  Also realize after inoculation there is a four week delay or so to develop immunity, at least for the vaccines we have now.  Also realize, even if you develop a level of immunity, it is unclear how well this suppresses your ability to carry the virus (i.e. you have it, your immune defense keeps you safe, but you still transmit virus).

Also, probably more than 20% of the US probably already has had it and probably has some immunity.

Now, there will be duplication of people that have had it and are vaccinated.  Here's a page that estimates reaching herd immunity.

https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/

They're saying the 60% level by early July.  And they are probably underestimating the immunity from having gotten at 20%.

'Toxic Individualism': Pandemic Politics Driving Health Care Workers From Small Towns

The virus infecting thousands of Americans a day is also attacking the country's social fabric. The coronavirus has exposed a weakness in many rural communities, where divisive pandemic politics are alienating some of their most critical residents — health care workers.

A wave of departing medical professionals would leave gaping holes in the rural health care system, and small-town economies, triggering a death spiral in some of these areas that may be hard to stop.

Ten years ago, Dr. Kristina Darnauer and her husband, Jeff, moved to tiny Sterling, Kan., to raise their kids steeped in small-town values.

"The values of hard work, the value of community, taking care of your neighbor, that's what small towns shout from the rooftops, this is what we're good at. We are salt of the earth people who care about each other," Darnauer says. "And here I am saying, then wear a mask because that protects your precious neighbor."

But Darnauer's medical advice and moral admonition were met with contempt from some of her friends, neighbors and patients. People who had routinely buttonholed her for quick medical advice at church and kids' ballgames were suddenly treating her as the enemy and regarding her professional opinion as suspect and offensive.

"Heartbreaking"

COVID-19 cases in the county started to climb. Meanwhile, other small Kansas towns flared into some of the pandemic's hottest hot spots.

"It's heartbreaking," Darnauer says. "Because we say, this is what we value. And then when we actually had the chance to walk it out, we did it really poorly."

The pushback was too much. Darnauer resigned her position as Rice County medical director in July. Some friends reached out to support her, and her bonds with other local health care professionals strengthened, but she felt disrespected and betrayed by the ascendant anti-mask portion of the community. Darnauer says the pandemic has exposed a rift that won't be forgotten.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Also, probably more than 20% of the US probably already has had it and probably has some immunity

There was an article posted in here, like a week ago. Said that some city/state had been doing Covid testing as part of it's autopsy procedure. And they said that the people who died in car crashes were testing 10% positive for Covid antibodies. And supposedly this same sample was showing the same % of other medical conditions as the general population, implying that "people who die in car crashes" is representative of the general population. 

Hardly a definitive proof. But seemed like it might be better than a guess.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

There was an article posted in here, like a week ago. Said that some city/state had been doing Covid testing as part of it's autopsy procedure. And they said that the people who died in car crashes were testing 10% positive for Covid antibodies. And supposedly this same sample was showing the same % of other medical conditions as the general population, implying that "people who die in car crashes" is representative of the general population. 

Hardly a definitive proof. But seemed like it might be better than a guess.  

The study was based on data from May and June.  

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-pr-hs-covid-infection-rate-in-maryland-20201221-gyjxhssoeba65jtcj5lxfrmcfq-story.html?outputType=amp

Given the number of daily reported cases has more than doubled since then, it isn't hard to believe we've over doubled the number of people that have immunity.  And we're probably even over that.   The immunity for many people does seem to be longer term.

Edited by PeterMP

I received a call from the cdc today (supposedly)

they had a vaccine survey for me. I said ok. 

now look... I get a lot of spam calls. Especially from the 313 for some odd reason. I am aware of the various ways a scam call sounds. This did not sound like a scam call. Notice I said sound like. If this was a scam call, and maybe/probably was, it was by far the best scam call I’ve ever received. 

anyways. I obliged. After a series of general, benign, questions we got on the subject of children and getting vaccines. 

they asked for a birthday for a child. 

“nope”

You can just give us a month and a year. 

“Nope”

if you dont answer the question we cannot continue. 

“ok. Not giving you birthdays over the phone”

went on like that another round or two then done. 

easy answer is a scam. Just didn’t feel like a scam. And I deal with a lot of scams. This wasn’t like them. Was weird. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Have they really established that once you get it you are immune? I seem to feel like the evidence is pointing the other way?

It appears to be a mixed bag.   There's probably no cases where people have immunity forever, but most people at least of immunity for the length of times the studies have been conducted for Covid-19 (so for at least months).  And people that had MERS have some immunity from years ago.  Though there are definitely people that have gotten Covid more than once.  I don't think anybody's addressed if the 2nd time was less bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52446965

Though the longer the pandemic goes on and the more people that have it as it goes on, the better the chance there will mutations that evade the already obtained immunity (same with the vaccine). 

Edited by PeterMP

6 hours ago, tshile said:

Yup. 

but I deal with scams way to much to give that up to an unsolicited call. 

I'm dealing with lots of scam too. And often I like to spend time with them so they basically lose their time given them crappy data.

Those I love the best is those that call me by my wife birth's name. It always makes me chuckles. :)

11 hours ago, PeterMP said:

It appears to be a mixed bag.   There's probably no cases where people have immunity forever, but most people at least of immunity for the length of times the studies have been conducted for Covid-19 (so for at least months).  And people that had MERS have some immunity from years ago.  Though there are definitely people that have gotten Covid more than once.  I don't think anybody's addressed if the 2nd time was less bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52446965

Though the longer the pandemic goes on and the more people that have it as it goes on, the better the chance there will mutations that evade the already obtained immunity (same with the vaccine). 

The cdc website wording suggests that the current thought is you’re good for 3 months after infection, beyond that it’s unclear. 

which jives with the data I have access to. Which is that when research was being conducted in this area in September, people who were infected in March/April had no antibodies left in their system. I don’t know the overall test results, I just know of a group of 5-8 people that fell into this category. 

19 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Over on Breitbart and Gateway Pundit the RWNJs are seizing on the fact that Letlow died of cardiac arrest during/after a procedure related to COVID-19 to claim that he didn't actually died from COVID. Even though in the exact same article they reference, the doctor who attended him is literally quoted as saying he had no underlying conditions and his death was from COVID.

Seriously.

Sick ass people. Just really mentally ill.

Edited by mistertim