Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Did you get COVID-19? You may only have 90 days to stay immune

People who recovered from the novel coronavirus may have less than 90 days of immunity, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

What’s going on?

The new study looked at 156 health care workers in the U.S. who tested positive for COVID-19. The workers an antibody test one month after developing symptoms, and then another about 60 days later.

94% of participants showed some sort of decline in antibodies by the time of the second test.
28% experienced a significant decline.

Questions about how long antibodies last have existed since the beginning of the pandemic. For example, in October, a study showed antibodies lose power over time. Similarly, there was research in July that suggested the antibodies have a 73-day half-life, meaning half of the antibodies would die within 73 days.

The CDC was pretty clear about what this means: “SARS-CoV-2 antibodies decline over weeks following acute infection. Negative SARS-CoV-2 serologic results do not exclude previous infection, which has significant impacts on how serologic studies are interpreted.”

Click on the link for the full article

That covers antibody response, but cellular immunity is something else:

Immune cells are fighting off COVID-19 six months after infection, new study finds

A new study has found that immunity cells are fighting off COVID-19 within six months after the first infection.

The research comes from the U.K. Coronavirus Immunology Consortium (UK-CIC), Public Health England and Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust.

The researchers said they have seen “robust T-cell responses” in coronavirus patients about six months after infection, which is a sign that the immunity lasts for at least half a year.

T-cells attack infected cells and help create more antibodies in the immune system, CNBC reports.

Iran's top leader bans corona vaccines from US, Britain

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Friday banned Iran from importing of American Pfizer-BioNTech and Britain’s Astrazeneca Covid-19 vaccines, a reflection of mistrust toward the West.

In a televised speech, he said the import of American and British vaccines were “forbidden,” referring to the surging death tolls from the virus in both countries.

”I really do not trust,” them, Khamenei said of those nations. “Sometimes they want to test” their vaccines on other countries, adding, “I am not optimistic (about) France,” either.

Iran has struggled to stem the worst virus outbreak in the Middle East.

Khamenei’s statement reflects decades of tense relations between Iran and the West which have not abated in the waning days of President Donald Trump’s presidency. Concerns ran especially high in the weeks leading up to the Jan. 3 one-year anniversary of the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Iraq.

Anti-lockdown protesters in London told ‘there’s a pandemic going on you ****s’

Maskless demonstrators chanted ‘take your freedom back’ as they marched through the capital today in protest against the national lockdown. But clearly not everyone was on board with their message, with one bystander branding them ‘idiots’ and a woman shouting from her car saying: ‘There’s a pandemic going on you ****s.’

San Diego Zoo Safari Park gorillas test positive for COVID-19

Gorillas at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park tested positive for the novel coronavirus Monday, marking the first known case of the virus infecting any of the great apes — a group that includes gorillas, bonobos, chimps and orangutans.

Lisa Peterson, executive director of the Safari Park, said that more than one gorilla has tested positive but would not provide an exact number. During a Monday COVID-19 press briefing, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said that two gorillas have tested positive for the virus and that a third is showing COVID-19 symptoms.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, China said:

San Diego Zoo Safari Park gorillas test positive for COVID-19

Gorillas at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park tested positive for the novel coronavirus Monday, marking the first known case of the virus infecting any of the great apes — a group that includes gorillas, bonobos, chimps and orangutans.

Lisa Peterson, executive director of the Safari Park, said that more than one gorilla has tested positive but would not provide an exact number. During a Monday COVID-19 press briefing, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said that two gorillas have tested positive for the virus and that a third is showing COVID-19 symptoms.

Wear the damn mask. —Gov Hogan.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

College kids are going to do this. I don't really see why this is a huge news story...20-year olds believe they are invincible and do stupid **** all the time. 

Being young and stupid doesn't absolve them of responsibility.  Being that age and drunk driving is still a crime.  All the people they infect (and that possibly die) that weren't there are their victims.  They're old enough to know better.  My son's that age and he knows better.

If they were only potentially harming themselves that would be one thing, but their actions will adversely affect people who weren't there.

Edited by China
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, China said:

Being young and stupid doesn't absolve them of responsibility.  Being that age and drunk driving is still a crime.  All the people they infect (and that possibly die) that weren't there are their victims.  They're old enough to know better.  My son's that age and he knows better.

If they were only potentially harming themselves that would be one thing, but their actions will adversely affect people who weren't there.

I don't mean that they shouldn't be held accountable for any regulations they're violating. I just mean that I get sick of the Covid Patrol on Twitter rushing to post any pics or videos of anyone in this situation. It's exhausting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't mean that they shouldn't be held accountable for any regulations they're violating. I just mean that I get sick of the Covid Patrol on Twitter rushing to post any pics or videos of anyone in this situation. It's exhausting. 

Maybe if people wore masks and social distanced like they should 4,000 people a day wouldn't be dying.  I find that to be much more exhausting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, China said:

Maybe if people wore masks and social distanced like they should 4,000 people a day wouldn't be dying.  I find that to be much more exhausting.

I'm able to acknowledge that this kids should be more careful AND be annoyed by the tattle tale culture I see on social media. Most things aren't so binary.