Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Care to elaborate?  I’m not sure what you are trying to say here. Clearly there is a world of difference in what can be done now versus what could have been done  for the past year.

Sure...I'll be curious to see if the recent pattern of governors wanting to open schools and bars and restaurants continues. As @CousinsCowgirl84 mentioned, we've heard from Chicago and New York already with "we can't stay closed forever" tones. That forward lean despite rising numbers would suggest that some of these governors were just opposing the White House all spring, summer, and fall. BTW, I'm ALL FOR this approach to continue re-opening...I have been for months. I just think it'll be interesting to see the talking points shift a little. Maybe they won't...

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Got it.  

Either every single Dem politician must commit to shutting everything down, forever.  

Or it's proof that the only reason they ever shut down in the first place was to harm Trump.  

No, that's not what I said. It's just interesting, that's all. I'd want to hear why specific politicians would pivot...what's changed? If they have an answer, then great. 

I'm certainly not going to love "Trump didn't have a plan but now we will essentially do the same thing because he put us in such a bad spot" 

I don't think that's the "adults running the show" change that people voted for. 

Every single Governor and Mayor in the country, Dems/Reps/etc., has been trying to “thread the needle” of public health/hospital capacity and economic/budget concerns since March.  And that ain’t easy.

Except Trumpers.  They’ve been doing jack-**** and telling you it’s a hoax.  Which is actually a very “easy” way to address it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Every single Governor and Mayor in the country, Dems/Reps/etc., has been trying to “thread the needle” of public health/hospital capacity and economic/budget concerns since March.  And that ain’t easy.

Except Trumpers.  They’ve been doing jack-**** and telling you it’s a hoax.  Which is actually a very “easy” way to address it.

I just think if you take any specific governor or mayor, the timing of when "stay home to flatten the curve" becomes "we can't stay shut down forever" will be interesting. That's all. 

It's OK to hate the president and still acknowledge that other politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. 

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

Got it.  

Either every single Dem politician must commit to shutting everything down, forever.  

Or it's proof that the only reason they ever shut down in the first place was to harm Trump.  

Uh... no... there were good reasons to shut down and the infection rate is really high, higher than it’s ever been. 

There is no scientific reason to reopen now if there was scientific reason to be shut down for the past several months. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I just think if you take any specific governor or mayor, the timing of when "stay home to flatten the curve" becomes "we can't stay shut down forever" will be interesting. That's all. 

It's OK to hate the president and still acknowledge that other politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. 

Can I acknowledge that you talk out of both sides of your mouth?  I would like to acknowledge that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Uh... no... there were good reasons to shut down and the infection rate is really high, higher than it’s ever been. 

There is no scientific reason to reopen now if there was scientific reason to be shut down for the past several months. 

Exactly - I'm simply pointing out that the Dems be held to the same standards. If it wasn't safe in July it's not safe in February if we "follow the science" and don't ignore the numbers. When I hear someone tell me that the "death rate is actually quite low" I'll know I'm in Bizarro World. 

Now, I think I might agree with y'all, if the position is that we should begin easing restrictions when we have results showing that we should.  

Kinda like the benchmarks that we were supposed to meet before opening, the first time.  And decided to just go ahead and open even though we hadn't met them.  

Maybe start easing when the numbers get back to where they were in, say, August?  Or maybe when 25% of the population has been vaccinated?  (2nd shot.)  

• Like 1

Wait, did schools reopen in VA?  Have my kids been pulling the wool over my eyes these past two months?

Oh, they haven’t.

In fact, my child was in-person prior to the election.  But then was sent home before Christmas.  And has not gone back with no signs of returning this school year. 

Edited by Ball Security
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

Now, I think I might agree with y'all, if the position is that we should begin easing restrictions when we have results showing that we should.  

Kinda like the benchmarks that we were supposed to meet before opening, the first time.  And decided to just go ahead and open even though we hadn't met them.  

Maybe start easing when the numbers get back to where they were in, say, August?  Or maybe when 25% of the population has been vaccinated?  (2nd shot.)  

I'm not commenting on what decisions should be made. I'm commenting on my expectation to see inconsistency moving forward. I think there will be many who have spent a year being "anti-easing restrictions" who will suddenly be "pro-easing restrictions"

I'm not going anywhere, so I'll be here to eat crow if that doesn't happen. 

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Wait, did schools reopen in VA?  Have my kids been pulling the wool over my eyes these past two months?

Oh, they haven’t.

In fact, my child was in-person prior to the election.  But then was sent home before Christmas.  And has not gone back with no signs of returning this school year. 

Virginia Beach changed the metrics they use to reopen from certain thresholds to just a “7 day decline in cases” and Northam held a huge press conference last week where he said it was time to stop saying we should be closed and time  to start saying what can be done to reopen, and that kids should be in School, and there isn’t additional risk of transmission in school. But there isn’t a scientific basis for the switch, at least he didn’t lay one out.

• Like 1

Frankly, I think that at the national level, the position needs to be that we need to impose more restrictions.  

I keep reflecting that supposedly, the city of El Paso was doing contract tracing, before the numbers got too huge to do that.  And the Mayor, who I heard being interviewed, said he looked at the data for a recent week, about where infected people got infected.  

Something like 27% of them got infected at an in-person restaurant.

And 22% at a big box retailer.  

And my thought was "Holy ****!  Does that really mean we could cut Covid in half if we replace Wal Mart with Amazon, and replace restaurants with takeout?  

Yeah, I'm aware that lots of people work in those places, and need money.  But heck, send them home and have the government pay them for a couple months.  

15 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Virginia Beach changed the metrics they use to reopen from certain thresholds to just a “7 day decline in cases” and Northam held a huge press conference last week where he said it was time to stop saying we should be closed and time  to start saying what can be done to reopen, and that kids should be in School, and there isn’t additional risk of transmission in school. But there isn’t a scientific basis for the switch, at least he didn’t lay one out.

Let me know when they actually go back.  Again, my child was in-person prior to the election and sent home after the election and has not gone back with no signs of doing so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Frankly, I think that at the national level, the position needs to be that we need to impose more restrictions.  

Biden’s plan has more restrictions. And a mask mandate, finally.

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Let me know when they actually go back.  Again, my child was in-person prior to the election and sent home after the election and has not gone back with no signs of doing so.

you understand we were talking about changes in what politicians are saying, correct?

• Like 1

I think the main shift in approach will be tied to larger and larger proportions of the population getting vaccinated.  I'm pretty confident that the Biden admin will un**** the vaccine rollout and by early spring, significant numbers of people will have gotten it.  At that point, it is reasonable to start talking about reopening everything because enough people will be immune that life can go back to normal, and the people that haven't gotten it (or refuse to) can plan their own decisions accordingly.  

What will be interesting is politician's (and other's) reaction to how well the economy is doing.  Pretty sure that starting at about 12:01 tomorrow afternoon, most MAGA people are going to start saying the economy is the worst in history and the GOP is going to insist on Greece-style austerity measures immediately.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What will be interesting is politician's (and other's) reaction to how well the economy is doing.  Pretty sure that starting at about 12:01 tomorrow afternoon, most MAGA people are going to start saying the economy is the worst in history and the GOP is going to insist on Greece-style austerity measures immediately.  

Looking forward to the "real unemployment rate" being a Fox News talking point, real soon.  

• Like 1

You would think politicians would be interested in unifying against a global pandemic, the likes of which the World hasn't seen for 100 years. 

We couldn't keep our butts at home for 8 months.

Our social experiment continues.  Do you believe scientists still don't know where the 1918 flu came from?  We may never know where COVID-19 originated. 

15 hours ago, Larry said:

Looking forward to the "real unemployment rate" being a Fox News talking point, real soon.  

I don't doubt the right will take their shots, but can we all agree that politicians on both sides will be talking from a different playbook now? Like you said, the right will suddenly acknowledge Covid as a huge threat while the left will be all about opening things up much more than they were.