Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I track JHU’s data.  The seven day average is around 3800 deaths a day.  A week ago, it was 2800.  The death rate remains at 1.7% of reported cases.  We are looking at 280k+ cases a day and it’s rising.

And why I quit my job and only go out when I have to. 

It ain't gonna be me. 

• Like 2

Ohio researchers say they’ve identified two new Covid strains likely originating in the U.S.

Researchers in Ohio said Wednesday that they’ve discovered two new variants of the coronavirus that likely originated in the U.S. — one of which quickly became the dominant strain in Columbus, Ohio, over a three-week period in late December and early January.

Like the strain first detected in the U.K., the U.S. mutations appear to make Covid-19 more contagious but do not seem like they will diminish the effectiveness of the vaccines, researchers said.

The Ohio State University researchers have not yet published their full findings, but said a non-peer-reviewed study is forthcoming. Jason McDonald, a spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement to CNBC that the agency is looking at the new research.

One of the new strains, found in just one patient in Ohio, contains a mutation identical to the now-dominant variant in the U.K., researchers said, noting that it “likely arose in a virus strain already present in the United States.” However, the “Columbus strain,” which the researchers said in a press release has become dominant in the city, includes “three other gene mutations not previously seen together in SARS-CoV2.”

“This new Columbus strain has the same genetic backbone as earlier cases we’ve studied, but these three mutations represent a significant evolution,” Dr. Dan Jones, vice chair of the division of molecular pathology at Ohio State and lead author of the study, said in a statement. “We know this shift didn’t come from the U.K. or South African branches of the virus.”

Researchers at Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center have been sequencing the virus since March, but have since drastically scaled up their efforts to sequence hundreds of samples per week, Jones told reporters at a press briefing Wednesday. He added that he’s sent his team’s findings to the Ohio Department of Health, but not the CDC yet.

“We are now in a period where the virus is changing quite substantially,” Jones said. “This is the moment, as we’re starting to see changes, where vaccination is being introduced and where the virus has been in the human population for some months, where we do want to be looking out very carefully for the emergence of not just single mutations, but new strains that have multiple mutations.”

Click on the link for the full article

Anybody see the article today about lung damage on all symptomatic people, and on 70-80% of asymptomatic people?  That's millions of people with long term lung damage in the US

The toll this thing will have on our health and health care system will be huge for decades

• Like 1

Morons.

COVID-19 spread in Capitol shuts down Missouri House

Missouri lawmakers made it just one full week into their annual four-month legislative grind before the rapid spread of COVID-19 forced the cancellation of next week’s session.

A day after the Post-Dispatch reported that at least one Kansas City lawmaker had tested positive for the virus, a new handful of cases surfaced Thursday, forcing leaders in the GOP-led chamber to put the brakes on next week’s schedule.

“Due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the building, we are exercising an abundance of caution to protect members, staff, and visitors by canceling session next week. Our goal is to return to work the following week,” said a joint statement from Republican leaders.

The Senate, where at least one member was in quarantine, also could choose to cancel next week. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Caleb Rowden, R-Columbia, said members of the Republican majority were meeting Friday to decide whether to follow suit.

In the Capitol hallways and chamber floors, a largely Republican contingent wears no face coverings.

On Tuesday, the House rejected a Democrat-led proposal to require all 163 members to wear masks on the floor.

America is tuning out the coronavirus at the peak of its destruction

The U.S. is now averaging nearly 250,000 new coronavirus cases per day — a crisis of staggering proportions, even though many Americans have tuned it out.

The big picture: It's not even sufficient to say the pandemic is “still going on,” as if it’s a fire that hasn’t finished burning out. The pandemic is raging. Its deadliest and most dangerous days are happening right now. And it keeps getting worse.

Everywhere you look, day-to-day vigilance is fading.

You see it up close, as social distancing falls by the wayside, masks dangle on people’s chins, and friends and family let their guard down to socialize indoors.

Americans are traveling, restaurants are at max capacity, some sports teams have fans in the stands, and some colleges are bringing students back to campus. People were ignoring news coverage of the virus even before new crises pushed it off the front page.

But at the same time Americans are taking the virus less seriously, it is becoming more serious.

The U.S. averaged 244,519 new cases per day over the past week, a 13% jump from the week before.

Hospital capacity is dangerously strained in several parts of the country. Coronavirus patients now occupy 40% of all the hospital beds in Arizona, 33% in California and Nevada, and 26% of all the beds in Georgia and Texas.

December was the deadliest month of the entire pandemic, and January is on track to beat it. The virus has already killed roughly 35,000 Americans just in the first 13 days of this month.
What’s next: This will keep getting worse before it gets better.

• Sad 1

This thread is over a year old now.  My how the world has changed.

Mask-Wearing, Social Distancing Improve, But Too Slowly, Survey Shows

Americans are being more careful to avoid catching and spreading the coronavirus but are still not being careful enough to slow the pandemic, especially with worrisome, apparently more contagious new variants looming.

That's the conclusion of the latest findings, released Friday, from the largest national survey tracking behavior during the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's good news-bad news," says David Lazer of Northeastern University, who is helping run the survey with colleagues at Harvard, Rutgers and Northwestern universities.

"The good news is we've improved a lot in terms of mask-wearing and social distancing. The bad news is, to bend the curve they really need to be much better," Lazer says.

Lazer's consortium has regularly surveyed about 20,000 people in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia since last spring. The latest data come from 25,640 people who were surveyed Dec. 16 and Jan. 11.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I've read that viruses like covid-19 mutate so that they can spread easier and also become less deadly (since they [not giving sentience to them] want to exist. 

Not sure how accurate that is but it made it easier for me to understand. 

Understandable,  but eerie af

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I've read that viruses like covid-19 mutate so that they can spread easier and also become less deadly (since they [not giving sentience to them] want to exist. 

Viruses (regardless of their potency) has always, since the beginning of time, mutate. RNA based virus have higher mutation rate since they lack the proofreading mechanism of DNA based viruses. Some mutations can be deadly and some not so much. The hope is covid-19 would just die off if it can no longer spread or due to a mutation that makes them become ineffective. But if the mutation goes the other way and becomes more deadly than that is really bad. 

This is why vaccinating as many people as possible and quickly is so important right now. We are already seeing new strains coming out that are more contagious and even deadly. I know Covid-19 will never truly disappear. It will become part of this world but will be more of an endemic instead of a pandemic. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

You're right that it's not correct to bestow sentience.  

But yes, it has at least been argued that the purpose of evolution is to favor survival.  And that not killing the host can actually increase the organism's survival.  

The flu successfully infects a lot more people than Ebola.  

On 1/15/2021 at 1:32 AM, mammajamma said:

Anybody see the article today about lung damage on all symptomatic people, and on 70-80% of asymptomatic people?  That's millions of people with long term lung damage in the US

The toll this thing will have on our health and health care system will be huge for decades

That's the biggest problem to me. Death are one thing and are scary enough. But the lasting effects of those that recover seems to last long with damage to brain and lung mostly (though other organs are hurted as well).

Everyone is focusing on death toll, but lasting effects are non existent in the media. Somehow that'll come back and hit us hard as well if not more. 25% of infected have brain damage? That one is freaking scary, even more than the death count.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

That's the biggest problem to me. Death are one thing and are scary enough. But the lasting effects of those that recover seems to last long with damage to brain and lung mostly (though other organs are hurted as well).

Everyone is focusing on death toll, but lasting effects are non existent in the media. Somehow that'll come back and hit us hard as well if not more. 25% of infected have brain damage? That one is freaking scary, even more than the death count.

This is what scares the crap out of me.  I’m not scared of dying.  That is guaranteed to happen one day.  But I already deal with the effects of lung damage from a punctured/collapsed lung.  And I already deal with neurological issues from multiple TBIs.  I feel like I’m already at the end of my leash from that stuff.  I don’t know if I could handle either of those being even worse.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3