Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Florida's governor is not prioritizing essential workers for vaccines, ignoring official advice. 'I don't think that's the direction we want to go,' he said.

The governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, said Tuesday that essential workers will not be prioritized in the state's next round of COVID-19 vaccinations, going against US health officials' advice.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended at a meeting on Sunday that frontline essential workers and people over the age of 75 should be next in line for a shot.

But DeSantis, a Republican, said at a news conference Tuesday that people over the age of 70 will come first. 

"The vaccines are going to be targeted where the risk is going to be greatest, and that's in our elderly population," DeSantis said. "We are not going to put young, healthy workers ahead of our elderly, vulnerable population."

This would appear to mean that younger people with underlying health conditions are also not being prioritized, per the Miami Herald.

Click on the link for the full article

Looks like Texas is doing the same thing as Florida:

Texas breaks from CDC in vaccinating elderly over police and teachers as states set own priorities for rationing Covid shots

People 65 years and older, and those with certain medical conditions will be able to get the Covid-19 vaccine sooner in Texas than the federal government is recommending.

In Massachusetts, prisoners and corrections officers are in the first round of vaccine recipients, along with first responders like police officers and firefighters, even though the federal government recommended including just health-care workers and long-term care residents.

The limited supply of the vaccine doses has forced public officials to ration the shots to a select few groups of people, mostly those in hospitals fighting the pandemic or society’s most vulnerable populations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention prioritized health-care workers and nursing-home residents in the first round of inoculations.

Most states followed the CDC’s outline for the so-called phase 1a group, but some are deviating a bit from the agency’s advice for the phase 1b group, which the agency outlined Sunday to include everyone over 74 years old as well as front-line essential workers like agricultural workers, police and teachers.

1 hour ago, China said:

Florida's governor is not prioritizing essential workers for vaccines, ignoring official advice. 'I don't think that's the direction we want to go,' he said.

The governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, said Tuesday that essential workers will not be prioritized in the state's next round of COVID-19 vaccinations, going against US health officials' advice.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended at a meeting on Sunday that frontline essential workers and people over the age of 75 should be next in line for a shot.

But DeSantis, a Republican, said at a news conference Tuesday that people over the age of 70 will come first. 

"The vaccines are going to be targeted where the risk is going to be greatest, and that's in our elderly population," DeSantis said. "We are not going to put young, healthy workers ahead of our elderly, vulnerable population."

This would appear to mean that younger people with underlying health conditions are also not being prioritized, per the Miami Herald.

Because we're not trying to control the infection. (Why start now?)  We're trying to reduce the death number. Because that's the number that the media is beating up our Party with. 

Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University report findings on an advanced nanomaterial-based biosensing platform that detects, within seconds, antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to testing, the platform will help to quantify patient immunological response to the new vaccines with precision.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-covid-antibodies-seconds.html?fbclid=IwAR2E-SzeXc42NInDFwnw-PmHEdXFv57-vnXipvmKnhAVoylWF5eVgSwlAoQ

On 12/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, Springfield said:

I just have a hard time believing the model projections. It seemed like when the actual numbers were flat they were still projecting increases. Ultimately they did increase, but there were months of just a flat trend.

I have seen those projections, and it’s absolutely scary.

So I finally saw the state wide projections for the February peak

holy **** are they bad. 

we’re basically hovering around max capacity right now and they’re projecting more a than 3x  increase in the next 6 weeks. 

the ideas on how to deal with it all orient around doing less of things that have been created to reduce bad outcomes. Like documentation. Which Texas and New York already did /are doing. 

that’s where we are folks. A plan being used in other states and strongly considered in others to deal with the projection is to significantly cut nursing responsibilities. They will basically be in a permanent state of triage - deal with what’s right in front of you with urgency and the best you can in the short time allowed, and then move on to the next one. 

12 straight hours of that. Go home. Do it again tomorrow. 

And by 12 hours who knows what the real shifts will work out to

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

So I finally saw the state wide projections for the February peak

holy **** are they bad. 

we’re basically hovering around max capacity right now and they’re projecting more a than 3x  increase in the next 6 weeks. 

the ideas on how to deal with it all orient around doing less of things that have been created to reduce bad outcomes. Like documentation. Which Texas and New York already did /are doing. 

that’s where we are folks. A plan being used in other states and strongly considered in others to deal with the projection is to significantly cut nursing responsibilities. They will basically be in a permanent state of triage - deal with what’s right in front of you with urgency and the best you can in the short time allowed, and then move on to the next one. 

Much better than, say, closing dine-in restaurants, gyms, and bars.  Big box retailers.  And actually enforcing masks.  

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

Much better than, say, closing dine-in restaurants, gyms, and bars.  Big box retailers.  And actually enforcing masks.  

Close all the bars, won't matter one bit. People are just stocking up at the liquor store and holding parties at home, utterly oblivious to the 'Rona or anything else.

Birthday parties, football parties, "any reason you can pull outta yer azz" parties, around here at least the surge has been driven by private gatherings that you cannot control without going WAY overboard.

32 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Close all the bars, won't matter one bit. People are just stocking up at the liquor store and holding parties at home, utterly oblivious to the 'Rona or anything else.

Birthday parties, football parties, "any reason you can pull outta yer azz" parties, around here at least the surge has been driven by private gatherings that you cannot control without going WAY overboard.

The admittedly few cases I've seen where people quote actual statistics seem to disagree. 

I'm unsure how much faith I can put in those. But it's all we've got. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The medical workers are on the front lines.  Our ignorance has put them there.  Our stupidity is killing them.  Make no mistake that this is a war, and they are the people in the trenches.  Bloody heroes, every damn one.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The medical workers are on the front lines.  Our ignorance has put them there.  Our stupidity is killing them.  Make no mistake that this is a war, and they are the people in the trenches.  Bloody heroes, every damn one.

when the second wave hit there was a meme circulating that was basically a nurse with the caption:

we were the front line

now you are

meaning - social distancing and social responsibility is now the front line. 

but also there are a lot of piece of **** nurses. They are definitely soaking in the praise, but they’re actively working to not be hero’s. The opposite of hero’s. 

you’d be surprised. Some are hero’s. Many. 

some are pieces of **** and it’s a shame they haven’t been properly exposed yet. 

My solution was to line the pieces of **** up and go through them one by one. And when they refused their reassignment fire them in the spot in front of the others. See how quickly everyone stops being a piece of ****. 

my solution was not well received. Other options were chosen. 

I must point out, however, the problem is still not resolved and has not even improved. 

I stand by my solution. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Definately worth better to preserve the freedom to being an asshole, than anything else.

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

when the second wave hit there was a meme circulating that was basically a nurse with the caption:

we were the front line

now you are

meaning - social distancing and social responsibility is now the front line. 

but also there are a lot of piece of **** nurses. They are definitely soaking in the praise, but they’re actively working to not be hero’s. The opposite of hero’s. 

you’d be surprised. Some are hero’s. Many. 

some are pieces of **** and it’s a shame they haven’t been properly exposed yet. 

My solution was to line the pieces of **** up and go through them one by one. And when they refused their reassignment fire them in the spot in front of the others. See how quickly everyone stops being a piece of ****. 

my solution was not well received. Other options were chosen. 

I must point out, however, the problem is still not resolved and has not even improved. 

I stand by my solution. 

I can't stand anymore those that complain about mask, lockdown, or whatever... They'll revert their position if they ever caught this **** and complain that government haven't done enough. History will be tough on us when it's all said and done.

As Jabby said. It's a war.

But we're guided by clowns that want to fight this like they're in DisneyLand.  We should have fought this harder and faster as it started spreading. But we did crap.

• Like 1

Surge intensifies on Christmas Eve as hospitals reel from influx of intensive care patients

Intensive care availability plunged statewide and in the Bay Area on Christmas Eve, as hospitals across much of California were pushed well over capacity trying to keep up with an unprecedented surge of COVID-19 patients.

California was technically at 0% intensive care unit availability, although that doesn’t mean there are no beds left in the state. But with Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley at 0% availability for the seventh day in a row, overflowing ICUs in those two regions pushed the entire state to capacity on Thursday.

ICU beds remain available in the Bay Area, Greater Sacramento and Northern California regions. But the Bay Area’s ICU availability dropped to 9.2%, from 11.4% the day before.

The ICU situation is dire, public health experts said, with dozens of hospitals in much of the state opening surge wards and erecting parking lot tents to care for patients. The state has opened four field hospitals and planned to activate at least one more this week.

And the pressure on hospitals likely will increase over the next few weeks, if an expected bump in post-Christmas cases leads to even more people needing intensive care.