Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

32 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Thinking back to when the White House said we were supposed to be at 60,000 by August 4th... My guess is that we will be at 100,000 by the weekend.

100k by Memorial Day. The magaGOP should hold a mission accomplished celebration replete with banners next Monday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

^^ Strongly advise reading the article above.  

The vaccine being discussed is an entirely new type of vaccine.  Different risks, and different attractive features.  

Edited by Larry

Amazing how every time there is talk of a new vaccine or any potential "cure" real or fake, the stock market has huge gains. It's almost like people are manipulating the market for their own gain. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Amazing how every time there is talk of a new vaccine or any potential "cure" real or fake, the stock market has huge gains. It's almost like people are manipulating the market for their own gain. 

I bought Moderna for $50/share a month or so ago and got Sorrento at 6 bucks about an hour before market close on Friday.  Up rougly 40% after hours.  Figured I might as well get something out of all this BS.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

While it would not shock me to learn that people are trying shady things, before we get TOO carried away with this, I think we should remember that

1. What you are implying is sometimes called "pump and dump". It's usually done with penny stocks because it's really difficult to move entire markets, or even larger holdings, that way.

2. It's also really illegal, and unless you're a member of Congress, insider trading IS the kind of thing people actually do go to jail for. 

3. It's not surprising that markets move on news like you're describing. Lots of people think they can time the market and jump in and out precisely because of news like this, so it's exactly the market behavior we'd expect even if there were no insider trading. I don't see these moves in a vacuum as evidence for anything other than that people think they can beat the market indexes.

25 minutes ago, techboy said:

While it would not shock me to learn that people are trying shady things, before we get TOO carried away with this, I think we should remember that

1. What you are implying is sometimes called "pump and dump". It's usually done with penny stocks because it's really difficult to move entire markets, or even larger holdings, that way.

2. It's also really illegal, and unless you're a member of Congress, insider trading IS the kind of thing people actually do go to jail for. 

3. It's not surprising that markets move on news like you're describing. Lots of people think they can time the market and jump in and out precisely because of news like this, so it's exactly the market behavior we'd expect even if there were no insider trading. I don't see these moves in a vacuum as evidence for anything other than that people think they can beat the market indexes.

It's just really rich people taking advantage of a stock market that is disconnected from the reality that is this pandemic. Not that it hasn't always been but Covid has done a great job highlighting the inequities of our system. 

(side story: one of my fraternity brothers got arrested for putting out a false document about the company he worked for to drive up share prices. We made CNN. This was back in the mi- late 90s.)