Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Kloots first shared her husband’s illness on April 1 and has shared his continued medical struggles through Instagram. He’s been in the intensive care unit for more than 40 days after arriving at the emergency room in late March.

Edited by visionary
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

HIV?

That one didn't last long.

And flu is only coming back every year.

Only one I found was smallpox. 40 years ago. But I just read stuff that we also found this virus buried in permafrost in Arctic. Which could go live again if climate keeps heating and permafrost melt...

And plague still lives one in some countries like Peru or Congo it seems.

Can't imagine those kind of stuff running wild with globalization.

Not sure if serious. You think HIV went away?  

And smallpox "went away" (mostly) because of global administration of an effective vaccine. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2020 at 5:58 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Bolsonaro rallying against covid19 and coughing on his supporters.

In Brazil, a desperate search for an open bed

As the rain picked up, the ambulance sped across the largest city in the Amazon. In the back, a 78-year-old man lay disoriented, unable to say who he was, slipping in and out of consciousness. The coronavirus had reached his brain, emergency physician Alessandra Said realized. He was in danger of dying. They didn’t have much time.

But in a city isolated by geography and overwhelmed by disease, Said didn’t know of a single hospital with space left for coronavirus patients. The hunt for a bed could take hours, and some patients didn’t survive to see its conclusion. She looked down at the man — bald and frail, writhing on his stretcher — and hoped that this one would.

“We have no place to take him, and we are going to bang on door after door,” thought Said, 45, who described the scene later. “It’s desperation. You have a terrible pain in your heart. We don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Brazil’s failure to provide enough hospital beds for the surging number of critical coronavirus patients is yielding increasingly grim results across the country, but particularly in Manaus, a city of 2 million people on the Amazon River deep in the rainforest. More than 2,000 people died in Manaus in April, more than four times the monthly average. Now, the city is running out of coffins. Hundreds are dying at home, either because they can’t get treatment at the hospitals or because they fear they won’t. Ambulances race down streets with no clear destination, waiting for someone to die and relinquish a hospital bed.

Click on the link for the full article

Still gonna require clinical testing for safety.

California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough

A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.

Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

• Like 2

US coronavirus deaths to surpass 100,000 by June 1, CDC director says

he number of coronavirus deaths could surpass 100,000 by June 1, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

The 12 forecasting models in the United States tracked by the CDC are predicting an increase in deaths in the coming weeks and this grim milestone, CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield tweeted.

As of Friday, more than 1.4 million people in the US have been infected with the coronavirus, and more than 87,000 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

"Fox news has exclusively learned"
If there was one news organization to push a false narrative about there being a cure for coronavirus, it would be them.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking combined with the guy's over confident language. Hope we're wrong.

This article describes efforts to suss out risks for patients with Covid-19 to develop more severe outcomes during the course of disease. These results are from investigations into blood taken from Chinese patients by Chinese researchers. These risk factors can be determined from a drop of blood.

There are three factors that predicted 10 days out with 90% accuracy.

"1. High levels of the enzyme lactic dehydrogenase (LDH). This is associated with lung damage and the type of tissue breakdown that happens during pneumonia.

2. Lymphopenia, the term for low levels of lymphocytes — white blood cells that defend the body against invading pathogens. 

3. An increase in high-sensitivity C-reactive proteins, or hs-CRP for short. This indicates inflammation in the lungs. "

This test can prioritize treatment of patients.

https://www.businessinsider.com/patients-risk-of-death-from-coronavirus-predicted-blood-markers-2020-5

This article also references another article that mentions 10 risk factors.

"Two of those biomarkers overlap with those suggested in the Nature study: high levels of LDH and a high neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (which is associated with lower levels of lymphocytes).

The other eight risk predictors include a history of cancer, high number of preexisting medical conditions, older age, shortness of breath, coughing up blood, unconsciousness, abnormal chest X-rays, and high levels of bilirubin (a substance in the blood that, in elevated amounts, indicates liver damage)."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2766086

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Califan007 The hospital should be able to help him. Happy to hear he made it there, because riding it out without help from a hospital/doctor I don’t think is a good option. My friend got it a while back after traveling, was misdiagnosed on Reentry after feeling ill. But finally received the meds she needed. She says it was horrible. Dengue doesn’t play, happy to hear he’s under medical care. 

• Like 3

Somebody was also claiming that the whole "We've passed the peak" narrative?  

It's because the infections in NYC are going down.  The rest of the country, they're increasing.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, visionary said:
America's population and Covid cases

This is meaningless to me cause there is so much either false reporting or non-reporting in places that are certainly going to get crushed by this if they haven't already. Too many dishonest leaders out there that hide numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope that Ed Solomon thing isn’t true. Cause that makes me worried this thing actually destroy this ****ing country. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

This is meaningless to me cause there is so much either false reporting or non-reporting in places that are certainly going to get crushed by this if they haven't already. Too many dishonest leaders out there that hide numbers. 

this makes me feel better 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I really hope that Ed Solomon thing isn’t true. Cause that makes me worried this thing actually destroy this ****ing country. 

this makes me feel better 

Sorry. I just hate that this world can't be honest about something like this. 

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Gonna be a lot of people dying from the Flu, in June?  That what you're saying?