Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Cases though...even as we get further from the weekend, the flattening trend continues in the US and worldwide. US numbers:

Friday - 33,752
Saturday - 30,003
Sunday - 27,741
Monday - 26,641
Tuesday - 26,945

Might wanna look at the post below yours, before cheering a drop in the number of positive tests.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Might wanna look at the post below yours, before cheering a drop in the number of positive tests.  

Already did and edited accordingly. 

If one reads the article, it suggests that labs are prioritizing some samples over others to save on materials. What method of prioritization is being used, how quickly the rate of decrease would show up in the numbers, etc makes it impossible to supply a 30% increase to the present numbers to determine the "real" ones. 

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Deaths are down too.  We've almost certainly peaked for at least now (i.e. until behavior changes).

The impression I get is that there's a whole lot of places that haven't been hit at all, yet.  Let alone peaked.  

(Sure would be nice if we actually had some data that was more reliable than my hunches.)  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Larry said:

He explains that the opposing force to power, is responsibility.  That the two are always equal,  That they cannot be any other way.  That no one can be heald morally responsible for something which they had no power over.  And that it is shear insanity to pretend that anyone has power, without responsibility for that power. 

That any attempt to create a system in which power and responsibility are not idential is as doomed to failure as any engineering which ignores conservation of energy.  

This story may have been useful 50 years ago. However the concept of "morality" has become so vague and riddled with bullet holes because everybody has to have their feelings and way of life protected. It has become impossible for society as a whole to agree upon and define  what constitutes morality, so now we are simply left with some very obvious criminal offenses while members of society have become reluctant to judge one another for the things are causing us to rot from the head down (drug abuse, obesity, sexual promiscuity, laziness, parental abandonment, disloyalty, disrespect for family members).  No leadership from mist if our public officials.  Try finding morality if you can't even define it.

Power, on the other hand, is much more easily defined.  Not only do our procedural laws define and consolidate power in a small number of individuals in (for the most part) a very clear manner, that power opens the door to corruption ("immorality").  But when the concept of morality is on the ropes, or is already on the canvas, who's to stop the rot?  

If the presidential election was held tomorrow, half our country would probably vote to re-elect Trump.  What does that tell you about how we define morality?  Think about what the standard for impeachment requires. He could not be pinned to the wall because a high crime or misdemeanor could not be proven.  All the things that Trump has done that make you hate him the most probably are not illegal, they are simply "immoral" in some sense of the word.

Edited by kfrankie

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

The impression I get is that there's a whole lot of places that haven't been hit at all, yet.  Let alone peaked.  

(Sure would be nice if we actually had some data that was more reliable than my hunches.)  

There is also the issue of states not reporting all nursing home deaths. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

He could not be pinned to the wall because a high crime or misdemeanor could not be proven. 

He confessed to crimes.  

He wasn't acquitted because it wasn't proven.  The GOP knew he was guilty, and acquitted him, anyway.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Oh that's absolutely true, BUT those places tend to have a lot less people than NYC in a lot less population density.  And most of them are already doing significant social distancing and other things.  They won't get it (very much very quickly) until/unless behavior changes (i.e. social distancing rules, etc. are changed).

Edited by PeterMP

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Exactly, how many states still haven't put stay at home orders? 

South Dakota is spiking, the national overall daily dead may go down, but that's only because that state has a fraction of the population of some other one's do, like New York.

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

He confessed to crimes.  

He wasn't acquitted because it wasn't proven.  The GOP knew he was guilty, and acquitted him, anyway.  

Then was it illegal for the dreaded GOP to acquit him?  Or was it just immoral?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Deaths are down too.  We've almost certainly peaked for at least now (i.e. until behavior changes).

Deaths were at their absolute worst today, far up over the previous peak (2400 vs 2100).

They have showed signs of slowing prior to today, but that might have been a matter of reporting. 

Edited by Bacon

3 hours ago, kfrankie said:

Then was it illegal for the dreaded GOP to acquit him?  Or was it just immoral?

That seems like a smart debate to have but I would suggest you (and Larry] to either:

1 - Take it to PM

2 - Have this debate have its own thread (which to me would be relevant around here, but that's just personnal opinion).

Otherwise you'll have Jumbo jumps in for derailing the purpose of this thread :)

And you don't want Jumbo diving in the pool as there's no water left :)

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Deaths were at their absolute worst today, far up over the previous peak (2400 vs 2100).

They have showed signs of slowing prior to today, but that might have been a matter of reporting. 

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the data for yesterday.  I guess we'll see what today brings.  It certainly looked like it was leveling off.  And it was over several days so it didn't look like it was just a reporting issue. 

59 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the data for yesterday.  I guess we'll see what today brings.  It certainly looked like it was leveling off.  And it was over several days so it didn't look like it was just a reporting issue. 

I've stopped looking at VA's numbers every day.  I found that the cases for recent days were really low, probably because the data hadn't been interpreted yet.

Funny thing though, is that when I went to the VA Dept of Health website today, they've updated the look and feel and it seems more intuitive than it used to be.  Frankly, I feel lucky to live in VA, which has held this thing lower than other areas of outbreak.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/

56 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I've stopped looking at VA's numbers every day.  I found that the cases for recent days were really low, probably because the data hadn't been interpreted yet.

Funny thing though, is that when I went to the VA Dept of Health website today, they've updated the look and feel and it seems more intuitive than it used to be.  Frankly, I feel lucky to live in VA, which has held this thing lower than other areas of outbreak.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/

Hopefully it stays relatively low but IIRC the models were predicting the DMV area not peaking until late May or so.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

They truly have such contempt for the intelligence of their viewers and voters. KellyAnne knows what the “19” refers to and yet... 

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Hopefully it stays relatively low but IIRC the models were predicting the DMV area not peaking until late May or so.

I think that’s a good thing.  From what I recall, the better we are at social distancing the longer it takes to peak but also the lower the total amount of cases and fatalities there are.  Where it peaks early, it happens because there is a spike in cases due to uncontrolled spread.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 2