Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Kids school just got canceled on the 16th so the staff can train on distance teaching.  And the nail in the coffin, we just got an e-mail that someone in our building (on a different floor) was in direct contact with someone who tested positive.  So....****.

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Actually sounds like a well thought out response to limit spread.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html

"Residents of the area will be allowed to leave and enter the zone".........

Doesn't sound like much of a quarantine to me.  I guess they won't let really stupid outsiders enter though.

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Kids school just got canceled on the 16th so the staff can train on distance teaching.  And the nail in the coffin, we just got an e-mail that someone in our building (on a different floor) was in direct contact with someone who tested positive.  So....****.

Where are you?

• Like 1

😐
19 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

"Residents of the area will be allowed to leave and enter the zone".........

Doesn't sound like much of a quarantine to me.  I guess they won't let really stupid outsiders enter though.

Damn, that's too bad. I was hoping that trump would go and let them know how safe they are since it's all a hoax.

^^re: Immigration Courts: This administration is wasting time planning on how to **** on people seeking asylum instead of using that time to plan constructive actions for the Covid-19. FFS 

And this mishmash of comments on how to provide financial relief: How about setting up a task force of knowledgeable financial experts to come up with some options that might work. The White House Occupant is a ****ing expert on everything.

This is not going to end well financially for this country.  

In reference to the Sacramento County Mitigation announcement earlier there is this. 

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/placer-yolo-county-health-officers-recommend-covid-19-mitigation/

Placer, Yolo county health officers recommend COVID-19 mitigation

AUBURN and WOODLAND — Laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the region are increasing, according to a news release from Placer County.

In one week, the number of cases in Yolo and Placer counties has grown from 1 to 8.  This number includes travel-related cases and their contacts, and we are now seeing evidence of community spread – meaning, cases of unknown origin. Yolo’s first case of COVID-19 is believed to be community-acquired.

“Given the amount of time that has elapsed since the return of passengers from the Grand Princess on Feb. 21, we know that COVID-19 has been spreading in the Placer community as well,” the release states. “To date, public health teams have focused on identifying and separating persons with COVID-19 from others and tracking down persons who were exposed to the infected person. This containment approach has helped to slow the introduction of COVID-19 into the United States.”

According to the releae, with community spread, public health departments must now shift their efforts to community mitigation measures that will slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community, protect those who are most vulnerable to severe illness, and allow the health care system to prepare resources to take care of severely ill patients. Like a handful of other counties in California, Placer and Yolo counties will now enter this new phase.

Has all kinds of good  recommendations for residents and businesses  of those counties on what to do at this time. Apparently,the kicker is this. 

6. Exposed Persons: With the shift from containment to mitigation, it is no longer necessary for someone who has been in contact with a person who has COVID-19 to quarantine for 14 days. This applies to the general public, as well as health care workers and first responders. However, exposed persons should self-monitor for respiratory symptoms and fever. If they develop symptoms, they should stay home in order to protect those who are well – again, for 72 hours after symptoms resolve or 7 days after symptoms began, whichever is longer. 

Any credentialed people here have an opinion on Michael Osterholm? I know it's a joe rogan podcast, but still the guy he's interviewing seems legit. I've only watched a quarter of it, but he mentioned some stuff I hadn't heard yet, like how people in their 40's are getting hit from this in Italy and it's not "just an old person" problem, especially if your obese or have a history of smoking (which we'd heard before).

This is also not stopping just because the weather will get warmer. Or at least so far, none of the models support that assumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&t=1111s

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs" for more info.

Edited by Fresh8686

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Any credentialed people here have an opinion on Michael Osterholm? I know it's a joe rogan podcast, but still the guy he's interviewing seems legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&t=1111s

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs" for more info.

I know him.  Had dinner with him about a year ago.  He’s very, very legit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:
 the worst stimulus possible.

I think you underestimate how much payroll tax is. If I hire a person at 16/hr by the time all the taxes are paid it ends up costing me around 22/hr. That’s an extra employee for every 3-4. What stimulus would you like to see?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

33 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think you underestimate how much payroll tax is. If I hire a person at 16/hr by the time all the taxes are paid it ends up costing me around 22/hr. That’s an extra employee for every 3-4. What stimulus would you like to see?

One that doesn't stimulate sick people to work and spread their infection.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PCS said:

Shouldn’t we already have tested more than 75k?  It seems that the only way to get ahead of this is the South Korean way, which was to test as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.  

75k is nothing in a country of 350 million.  It seems like too few for a single metropolitan area.  

Am I way off for thinking this?

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Shouldn’t we already have tested more than 75k?  It seems that the only way to get ahead of this is the South Korean way, which was to test as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.  

75k is nothing in a country of 350 million.  It seems like too few for a single metropolitan area.  

Am I way off for thinking this?

No.  You're exactly right.  And this terrible incompetence is why this is going to be far worse in the US than it should be.  More people are going to die because this administration eroded bureaucratic competence, defunded the CDC, prioritized messaging and the stock market, and gaslighted the public rather than actually address the problem in the only way that works.  

Edited by bcl05