Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

14 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Eagles #8 on the list?? Didn't we read earlier that their entire roster would have to be dismantled for 2021 without a significant bump in the salary cap?  I foresee a rollover and some smart restructuring and they'll keep rolling

Maybe they have a lot of contracts that will all accelerate at the same time?

28 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Eagles #8 on the list?? Didn't we read earlier that their entire roster would have to be dismantled for 2021 without a significant bump in the salary cap?  I foresee a rollover and some smart restructuring and they'll keep rolling

I'm sure they will find a way but keep in mind Goodwin opted out this year and if he had played that cap space would be down to $12M, also Wentz is only $18.5M against the cap this year and next year that jumps to $34.6M.

I didn't really dig into their cap too much but those were two things I was already aware of.

36 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Wentz ALONE goes from $18mil this year to $34 mil next year. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

2020 They're $18 mil under

click on the 2021 tab and they're OVER by almost $65 mil and that doesn't count the cap dropping to $175 mil.  

37 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Phis top 51 in 2021 is 258 Million against the cap... and they only have about 41 players under contract.

There is a possibility the cap may only be 175. They will need to clear extra space for draft pics AND they still have to fill out their roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Phi is going to have to clear 100 million off of their books next year. 18 mil in rollover don't help them too much

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree they will have to move some money around and probably unload some players but the $175M will be the floor of the cap not the ceiling.

The way I understood it, they're looking at dropping the cap to $175 because of lost revenue.  It's already been proposed and agreed upon in principle from the NFLPA and the owners. 

i may be mistaken... looking more it looks like that's a possibility

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

No they're looking at dropping the cap to $175 because of lost revenue.  It's already been proposed and agreed upon in principle from the NFLPA and the owners.   

Wait, so when they say "the floor" doesn't that mean the minimum cap per team, or are they saying that's the lowest proposal for the maximum cap next year?

"In the NFL’s latest proposal, they’ve asked players to accept a $175 million salary cap in 2021, unless the financial drop-off isn’t as severe as expected. While the salary cap could be higher than that next season, $175 million is the floor at this point."

Just now, JSSkinz said:

As the minimum, not the maximum, big difference and I think some are confused which is why I posted that.

"In the NFL’s latest proposal, they’ve asked players to accept a $175 million salary cap in 2021, unless the financial drop-off isn’t as severe as expected. While the salary cap could be higher than that next season, $175 million is the floor at this point."

yeah i edited my post, sorry, didnt mean to come across condescending.  I went back and looked and you may be right... I will look into a bit more.. 

It COULD drop as far as $175 million, but that has not been determined. 

50 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Honestly, because of the pandemic and the effect on the cap, the league may have to get involved. It's way worse than you realize. As it stands, WITH the savings you discussed, they are still $66 million over the cap floor. They also don't have a lot of room for savings from cuts.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

yeah i edited my post, sorry, didnt mean to come across condescending.  I went back and looked and you may be right... I will look into a bit more.. 

It COULD drop as far as $175 million, but that has not been determined. 

Actually I think you might be right, now I'm confused by the wording.  This is the next sentence in the paragraph.

"By comparison, the salary cap in 2020 is $198.2 million, which would be a significant cut."

Regardless of what the next cap figure will be, I'm sure we can all agree that its not gonna suddenly explode and balloon.

A lot of teams will be underwater salary cap wise next year, but many will simply be under a lake. Teams like Phi and NO will be under a dang ocean. This division will get flipped on its head in 2021. We are positioning ourselves nicely to take advantage of it.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really wish they would just say Washington instead of “Football Team.” It’s a small point.  I don’t think it’s being done with malice or anything. It just is irri.

I took it as Breer trying to be a smartass, everyone likes to take shots and unfortunately we're the low hanging fruit.

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

That seems to be how much these teams are under THIS YEAR as opposed to an estimate of how much they will be under/over next year.

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

from what I saw part of that problem was setting the cap ceiling at $175 mil rather than it's base, in which case they were going to be 59 million over so having 18 to rollover would only be a minor help.  As it is they're probably going to be pretty tight

On 9/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, FootballZombie said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Phi is going to have to clear 100 million off of their books next year. 18 mil in rollover don't help them too much

Cash clears up cap space quick. 

Give Wentz a signing bonus instead of salary and now he counts $12m instead of $34m. 

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

Cash clears up cap space quick. 

Give Wentz a signing bonus instead of salary and now he counts $12m instead of $34m. 

Not that easy--they'd have to extend him past 2024 to spread it out over the life of the contract. Per NBC Sport Philthy:

Based on the available information, Wentz's cap numbers would be a minimum of $3.99 million in 2019, $12.653 million in 2020, $23.17 million in 2021, $27.771 million in 2022, $32.27 million in 2023 and $32 million in 2024.

Archived