Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

So our next TE is going to be Greg Olsen.

Hopefully they don't overpay for him considering he's only 2 years younger than Chris Cooley.

Olsen would be a great get for several reasons including what he would bring to the clubhouse as far as getting RR's word and expectations across to the entire team. I'm sure he'd be productive on the field too if he's healthy. What better TE to help Haskins grow than a guy like Olsen and what better TE to groom a rookie TE than Olsen? I see no downside to signing Greg Olsen as long as we have two young guys being groomed behind him....and who's to say one of those younger guys can't be Austin Hooper? How bout a two TE set with Olsen and Hooper???? Gold Jerry....gold!!!

I think that TEs play a big role in the type of O that Scott Turner wants to run here in DC.  Olsen on a 1 year deal and drafting a good TE in the 3rd or better yet 4th round makes sense too.  The only thing I don't want to see happen is us reup Vernon Davis.  I believe our TE coach coached him in SF when he was there.  Davis is finish, IMO.  No need to waste $$$ on him.

40 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think that TEs play a big role in the type of O that Scott Turner wants to run here in DC.  Olsen on a 1 year deal and drafting a good TE in the 3rd or better yet 4th round makes sense too.  The only thing I don't want to see happen is us reup Vernon Davis.  I believe our TE coach coached him in SF when he was there.  Davis is finish, IMO.  No need to waste $$$ on him.

Get Olsen and then sign either Hooper or Hunter Henry....Two more weapons for the offense and positions we don't have to draft. Let the Hentges kid be the third TE, I like what we saw in him.

At the end of the season I liked what I saw out of Hentges. I know Colt fans were pissed we grabbed him from their practice squad. What are some of the guys who pay closer attention than me thoughts on his development? Could we sign a veteran TE, and not draft one at all? 

54 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

At the end of the season I liked what I saw out of Hentges. I know Colt fans were pissed we grabbed him from their practice squad. What are some of the guys who pay closer attention than me thoughts on his development? Could we sign a veteran TE, and not draft one at all? 

Hentges was never actually on the Colts' practice squad. He was waived from their 53 man roster and claimed off waivers. Mainly a blocking TE in Alabama, he did look decent in his time here. I do think there is upside, moreso than just a guy who can block. But how much do you really want to rely on a second year UDFA? Most rookie TEs struggle, so it'll likely take another year or two to even really get a feel for what Hentges is.

He might be a depth piece for 2020, but it's hard to see him being the starting plan. That's likely a free agent acquisition. Free agency is deep at the position and it'll happen before the draft. While addressing the position in the draft makes sense, no one has any idea what players will be available when the Skins pick. We know they're not drafting a TE at #2 overall. Which means the 3rd round pick is the first possible chance. But it's not like the team is going to lock in to a specific position for that pick months in advance. Plus, most third round picks don't become instant starters (McLaurin was an exception, but you can look at most of recent Skins 3rd rounders as examples of players who don't start as rookies). And again, most rookie TEs struggle. So the draft can't really be plan A. And the current roster can't really be plan A. That leaves trade/free agency.

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Olsen on a 1 year deal and drafting a good TE in the 3rd or better yet 4th round makes sense too.  The only thing I don't want to see happen is us reup Vernon Davis.

At this point in their careers, is Olsen really any better than Vernon Davis?

I don't mind bringing in Olsen on a value deal, but it doesn't make me feel much better about the TE position, short term or long term.

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't mind bringing in Olsen on a value deal, but it doesn't make me feel much better about the TE position, short term or long term.

He is in the sense that he knows the system and can better help young DH and receiving core during this transition. Which would be invaluable imo.

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

How bout a two TE set with Olsen and Hooper???? 

I'd be all for that, as it addresses both short term and long term needs.  Panthers opening day roster included 3 TEs and 1 FB, and I'd prefer they keep hentges over sprinkle, so this could spell the end for JS.  With 27 starts over 3 years, he hasn't really shown enough to keep a roster spot anyway.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

he is a few years younger, knows the offense for the most part and most importantly knows Ron r.  I guy like that can be huge for not just DH but the entire lockerroom.  You still need to look for a stud in the draft or FA but he would be a solid guy for a few years as the team transitions.  

Sad. 

Jordan Reed (concussion) could be cleared for the 2020 season.

Reed spent the first five weeks in the concussion protocol before going on IR. Given his concussion history, he's not a lock to be cleared for next season, but Reeds wants to continue his career. The Redskins can't count on Reed to stay healthy after appearing in 19 games the last three years. They can save $8.5M from his offseason release.

23 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Get Olsen and then sign either Hooper or Hunter Henry....Two more weapons for the offense and positions we don't have to draft. Let the Hentges kid be the third TE, I like what we saw in him.

If we go 3, I'd let Henteges, Sprinkle, a late pick/UDFA and maybe another UDFA (or young steet guy) fight it out for 3.  Hope that whoever loses out isn't too attractive not to be able to put on the practice squad and is eligible since that kind of gives you 4.

5 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Anyone pretending to have the redskins FA board is just false.

No team would create a real FA board and leak it. 

Not least since the self scout on our own roster which then sets the needs that would factor into building a free agent board has not yet been done. Rivera said meetings on the self scout start Feb 10.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Play for Rivera.

He probably wants to win. He's made enough friends and has a lot of respect from his peers. If he comes here to end his career because of Rivera or because it's close to where his family is, then he probably is coming for all the wrong reasons.

14 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Anyone pretending to have the redskins FA board is just false.

No team would create a real FA board and leak it. 

I think that's what BA used to do, print out player profiles and cut them out, rank them on his wall.  Have no other notes or anything around it.  And he would just come to Redskins park and stare at it until dinner time.  I think that's why the picture is blurry, bc that's how it looked to Bruce after all those Coors lights.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Close to North Carolina so his family doesn’t have to move.  Familiar with the coaching staff.  Starting gig

It's been 4 years since he played a full year and has concussion issues. he's really only a year younger than Davis and unless you're signing him to a vet minimum one year deal I don't see the point. Don't get me wrong, I love the dude and respect his career, but he doesn't really bring anything to the table other than a veteran presence. If we're bringing in someone for that, I'd rather he be more reliable in terms of health. I'd honestly rather throw 2-3 million at Darren Fells than 5-7 at Olsen.

Archived