Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW

For now but again I am hoping that Peetz is released or given permission to seek employment with another team and that team being us.  I believe he wants to reunite with RR.  Hope it happens but if we keep Jordan than so be it.

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

For now but again I am hoping that Peetz is released or given permission to seek employment with another team and that team being us.  I believe he wants to reunite with RR.  Hope it happens but if we keep Jordan than so be it.

More reporting on it...

In other news, the Eagles Pederson said in a press conference that his OC and WR coach were being retained and then the owner fired them later the same day because they hadn't yet met and discussed it...so not only was there an embarrassing miscommunication but it also highlighted that the owner is making unilateral decisions about his Superbowl winning HC's assistants...

Our recent moves and organizational realignment are looking better and better.

51 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

In other news, the Eagles Pederson said in a press conference that his OC and WR coach were being retained and then the owner fired them later the same day because they hadn't yet met and discussed it...so not only was there an embarrassing miscommunication but it also highlighted that the owner is making unilateral decisions about his Superbowl winning HC's assistants...

Our recent moves and organizational realignment are looking better and better.

Wow, really!? That is... bad, lol. 

I’d love to read more about that. Going to look if there’s anything now. 

11 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Wow, really!? That is... bad, lol. 

I’d love to read more about that. Going to look if there’s anything now. 

Yep. Pederson put out a statement later trying to fix it, but Eagles fans seem pretty convinced he was just in the dark about what Laurie was going to do, and it seems obvious that is true. Of course they are convincing themselves that he had to do it for the good of the team.

Some of their local media also observed that it was just a weird press conference compared to how Pederson usually is. So who knows what's up. 

20 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yep. Pederson put out a statement later trying to fix it, but Eagles fans seem pretty convinced he was just in the dark about what Laurie was going to do, and it seems obvious that is true. Of course they are convincing themselves that he had to do it for the good of the team.

Some of their local media also observed that it was just a weird press conference compared to how Pederson usually is. So who knows what's up. 

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Fascinating stuff, thanks fellas. 

Lurie isn’t an idiot, so I find this even more intriguing than usual.

I always thought Pederson got way too much credit for that stacked roster he won a Super Bowl with... but that’s how it usually goes with coaches. Too much praise or too much criticism for what they can do. Maybe his head got too big and Lurie is trying to put him in his place? 

I don’t know. Either way, that isn’t a good look. Can’t play games like that within the building. And you’d think that at this point Doug would have total control over the coaching staff. Pretty nuts. 

Another thing I found fascinating was how little say Doug has had over his assistant coaches from the onset. I didn’t know he had no say in the Schwartz hire. It’s actually what I had wished happened when Jay was originally hired. Inexperienced offensive guy? Do everything you can to pair him with a stud defensive coordinator (we all know what we did instead). But you got to let him build his staff on his side of the ball, at least.

Once he grows into his role, you back off more and give him control over the entire coaching staff. 

But if this article is true, doesn’t seem like they did that with Pederson at any point. Interesting. 

Development of coaches, even head coaches, within organizations is so under appreciated and misunderstood, it’s sad. 

The Eagles situation is right out of the Dan 1999 playbook. Love it! Let them suffer for once.

So do we know if Pederson is alone in wanting  KOC and Lurie will sit back and watch KOC do his thing with Doug or will Lurie now become hands on and size up KOC himself as well?

Funny stuff with the planted O'Connell rumors for the Philly OC search. Get it out there, people will retweet it, then it becomes part of someone's article. Then another so-called journalists simply repeats it. Ah, funny. Anyway, so let me get this straight -- O'Connell didn't want to stay on in Washington (per his mesmerized sports radio/pseudo-journalist followers) because he wouldn't have any say in the offensive staff, but he's willing to go to Philly, where the staff is fully in place, except for WR coach? Alright.

45 minutes ago, panahoo said:

From Wade Philips to Joe Barry? McVay learned from Shanny and Jay pretty well I guess.

I thought this too but Rapaport reported that Brandon Staley LB coach from the Broncos was hired as their new DC. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, KillBill26 said:

I know it's not a big deal, but I had to laugh: we are all critiquing the new hires, and the next coach is from a high school that didn't win a division game.  

(Coach Vieselmeyer teaching high school kids the zone blitz.)

One thing I like about this guy is that after he was fired from Oakland along with DelRio he tried to get a job in the NFL but failed to find a good fit. He could have given up then and there and gone on to pursue his life’s work but he took a position coaching at an obscure undermanned high school instead. Certainly not a resume building decision. He had to know this was likely career suicide and The end of his NFL ambitions but he did it anyway.

There’s only one motivation that would explain why a man would do such a thing:

PURE LOVE OF THE GAME. 

I’m rooting for coach V.

21 hours ago, SmallDaddy said:

It looks like Kevin is now the OC for the Rams. Mcvay hired him. Game recognizes game. 

This is a weird move for Kevin. McVay is known as the genius play caller so O'Connell going to the Rams probably won't help his star rise. OTOH, he's officially got an OC gig so that's cool.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

This is a weird move for Kevin. McVay is known as the genius play caller so O'Connell going to the Rams probably won't help his star rise. OTOH, he's officially got an OC gig so that's cool.

It's a game of musical chairs. He probably recognized that if he didn't take this gig, he'd find himself a QB coach or in college football next season

Archived