Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Renegade7

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

Since we are flipping to the 4-3, and there is a chance to get Chase Young, what they choose to do and where they decide to play guys is going to be interesting to watch.

You if we drafted Young, we would have Young, Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Sweat and Kerrigan all as DL players most likely.  Kerrigan and Sweat should NEVER be asked to cover anybody.  So you kinkdof have a glut of talent and it would be interesting.  Ryan Anderson has played extremely well this year, one of the most improved players on the team. 

Personally, I think either Kerrigan is a backup at a different cap number or he has to be moved.  But that is going to be one hell of a difficult decision to make.  Dan might push back on that one, honestly.  But it's probably the right thing to do.

It is also going to be interesting to see if Rivera and Del Rio want to keep Norman around.  I doubt they would at his salary.  But who knows.

It's going to be interesting.

If it were me, I would jettison Norman and Reed, trade Williams and Kerrigan.  

The other question is what cutting Alex Smith buys you this year vs. next year.  The right thing to do was to go nuclear last year.  But since they didn't do it, I'm not sure what the effect of doing it now is, how much of an additional hit they take in 2020, and what they save in 2021.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

True lol....but I don't think we have to be for long.

Agreed.  I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt for 2020, this franchise needs a 1 year grace period instead of fixing 20+ years of dysfunction in a couple months.  Even Gibbs had a losing record his first year back.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe "rebuilding" and "complacent with losing" are the same thing. 

Teams announce they are rebuilding all the time to make clear to the fans to chill on demanding people's heads because they aren't with playoffs just to keep the relationship honest.

Rebuilding means we are starting over and expect to lose as the team dumps players and acquires new players that might fit the new system and improve the team.  At what point does this phase end?  The coaches and FO are working for their careers too.  Everyone is given opportunity to improve but the expectation should to be competitive and win.

Which modern NFL team has openly said they are rebuilding? 

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

Rebuilding means we are starting over and expect to lose as the team dumps players and acquires new players that might fit the new system and improve the team.  At what point does this phase end?  The coaches and FO are working for their careers too.  Everyone is given opportunity to improve but the expectation should be competitive and to win.

Which modern NFL team has openly said they are rebuilding? 

Dolphins this year, Browns the year they decide to draft 20 WRs in the same draft off the top of my head.

Rebuilding can end very fast if you do it right.  This is from John Lynch's press conference when he was hired as GM for the 49ers back in 2017:

I’ve been pretty clear in saying that this week, [head coach] Kyle [Shanahan] and I are on the same page that we’re going to put together and assemble a team and how long that takes we don’t know, but we’re going to assemble a team that will make you proud. I can promise you this; we’re going to have players that will compete, that will compete every day, that will compete to be the best that they can be. They’re going to be great teammates. We’re going to have a team that plays fast. We’re going to have a team that plays physical. We believe in those things. We’re going to have guys with great character, football character and we’re going to have guys that are interested in making their community a better place. That’s important to Kyle and I and it’s important to Jed. I could not ask for better partners in the process and the challenge that lies ahead in Jed and Kyle. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/9/14571224/kyle-shanahan-john-lynch-jed-york-press-conference-transcript-49ers

It's 2020, three years later, and they have home field advantage in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Jordan Reed and Alex Smith could both just walk away and help our contracts situation but they will not do it so we need the front office to tell them

we thank you for the memories and send them on their way.

if we cut Smith now it will cost us 10.8 million in cap space, the same amount of dead money his contract would cost us if we cut him before 2021

1 minute ago, carex said:

if we cut Smith now it will cost us 10.8 million in cap space, the same amount of dead money his contract would cost us if we cut him before 2021

That's what I'm seeing, too. From what I put in OP and last time there was a thread about cutting him, there was a window after the third year of his contract that some places advertised as the "out year" in case we wanted to cut him and actually get cap savings.  That's next offseason from my understanding, open to anyone correcting me on that to make sure we're all on same page.

Rebuilding in the NFL is far different than any other sport. Teams can be competitive fairly quickly and be able to win. Remember the cap is a hard cap not the bullcrap that you have in the NBA. Our new GM needs to be good. The reason the niners competed so quickly is because Lynch made some shrewd moves getting Jimmy Sherman and drafting well. 

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Lynch didn't use the term "rebuild".  Along the way, the 49ers were competitive even when their record wasn't.  If the skins can rebuild like this or even like the skins last 5-6 games this year, I'll be satisfied. 

Let's agree to disagree on what rebuilding means.  

I get where you coming from, and to be clear, I don't believe a rebuild requires intentionally losing either.  That's tanking, that's different, I've never supported that.  If we can't agree on what a rebuild is, saying people are saying it without saying the magic word is not going to go anywhere.  

But to me, 49ers an example of what I believe a rebuild should be, a first time GM with a first time HC and no talent being honest that they have a plan but the reality on the ground the owner is giving them the time and support to do what needs to be done to intact their vision with clear understanding it won't happen overnight.  It didn't, but it worked.

49ers were 6-10 then 4-12 Kyle's first two years out there, but ya, I'd say if we had more games even like 2018 Redskins were they played well enough that if you didn't knock us out you could definetly lose to us, I'd be happy too.  That can be done while scorching earth this franchise.  

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I really like Guice and want to agree with you, i have his jersey, but Cook didnt injury his knee in college nor finish his only two NFL seasons on IR.  We've all seen this movie before, I cant even process Bryce Love right now after Keith Marshall : (

You ready to give on a guy who had two mcl sprains this season? He'll be fine next season. 

Looking at that FA list, I'd be interested in Conklin at RT, Henry at TE, and resigning Scherff at OG. I'd really like this scenario if we extend Trent Williams a couple of years as well.

Cut P-Rich, Moses, Norman, and Reed.

Try and Trade or restructure Kerrigan, but cut if you have too.

Maybe a darkhorse Scenario would be signing Yannick Ngakoue and trading back from the number two pick. Definitely cut Kerrigan in that scenario 

4 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

You don't think we would have a chance to win the division next year given what we are seeing in the division overall?  I just don't think it is a very good division compared to others.  There is absolutely no dominant team in our division.  And with upgrades, new coaching , getting the best out of guys I just I think we have just as good a chance as any of others because there is no dominant team.

I want to build a team that can make deep playoff runs, not go 9-7 and inevitably lose to a legit good team in the first round. Maybe if literally everything broke right, we'd win the division next year but I'm not trading that for a chance at true success in the future. And who's to say that upgraded coaching staff can't help Trent's replacement?

If he was 5 years younger, I'm with you. But the problem with this team for so long is trying to extract every little win in the near-term to reach 8-8/9-7 instead of building a long-term plan to be consistently good and great. That's what the Nationals do. That's what the Capitals do. And it's why they have championships.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Like to hear why you say that about Dunbar.  He is probably our best corner, but played on 11 games this year and 7 last year.  

I don't disagree that he seems fragile, but I am pretty sure we locked him up with a very cheap deal - I think Breeland, for example, got more than double what we extended Dunbar for.  Replacing him would eat up significant cap space. If Dunbar is only getting the equivalent of backup money, then he is worth it even for just 8 to 10 games at probowl level.

The problem with Jon Allen is we'll have to decide fairly early whether or not to pick up his 5th year option which I believe won't be more than 4 million (I could be wrong). He's got an incredibly team friendly contract which would prove extremely valuable to other teams. With Chase in the fold he may be our most valuable trade commodity if we go that route. Would a team be willing to give up a first and a third for him?

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Agreed, this would be a good year to take care of our own and roll the rest over.

J Allen is going into a contract year, we all know about Scherff, Trent wants more money.

Gonna have to spend some of it, we probably need a FA OL, CB and TE at the least..

Pay Allen and franchise Scherff if need be, but **** trent. That guy can hit the road.

as for TE, I'd keep Hentges and see how he looks next year. He's shown more in a few games than Sprinkle has in 3 years. I wouldn't be opposed to letting him walk and signing a tryhard UDFA or really late round guy who could stick around due to effort, even if he's not the greatest athlete as the 3rd TE behind a FA and Hentges.

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are not going to trade Jonathan Allen. You cannot have too many quality defensive or offensive lineman. Allen is a beast 

While I agree with the sentiment, there is a thing as too many high-priced at any position. If Chase was aboard there's simply no way to keep Allen, Payne, Chase, Ion, Sweat, Kerrigan and Settle. Granted Kerrigan will probably be highly paid until Payne is due for a contract so we can essentially make it work, but somewhere down the road it's just gonna be too much money invested there. You're looking at 50 mil invested in those guys annually no matter how you work the cap. 

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are not going to trade Jonathan Allen. You cannot have too many quality defensive or offensive lineman. Allen is a beast 

Yes you can if you cant afford it.  You cant pay everyone what they are worth, salary cap wont allow it.  Smart organizations get this and accept they cant pay all their draft picks, thus have a combo on rookies worth extending and rookie contracts.  Is what is, even if we activate 5th year, think hes gone after that.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I don't disagree that he seems fragile, but I am pretty sure we locked him up with a very cheap deal - I think Breeland, for example, got more than double what we extended Dunbar for.  Replacing him would eat up significant cap space. If Dunbar is only getting the equivalent of backup money, then he is worth it even for just 8 to 10 games at probowl level.

I can see that.  Hes is on a decent deal for his play, I wouldnt say pro bowl, but hes above average on a reasonable contract.  I've jus lost patience with all these players that cant stay healthy, but if you ask me to make an exception for him, ya, I can see the case.  I'd be open to a trade now before he misses more then half the season again like he did in 2018. Basically while his trade value is the highest, it wont get higher if he keeps missing games like that.

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

Gonna have to spend some of it, we probably need a FA OL, CB and TE at the least..

Look at the free agents for next year, to improve at CB we would need to sign a 31-32 year old player (no quality youth available) and give him tier 1 money, is it worth it?

O line, same exact story, the top 6 guys are over 30, so again I don't see a point.  TE is also the same, free agency is thin this year or at least it looks that way.

Trent's 31 and he's better than any option available to us.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Look at the free agents for next year, to improve at CB we would need to sign a 31-32 year old player (no quality youth available) and give him tier 1 money, is it worth it?

O line, same exact story, the top 6 guys are over 30, so again I don't see a point.  TE is also the same, free agency is thin this year or at least it looks that way.

Trent's 31 and he's better than any option available to us.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

Oh, trust me. I'd rather not sign any fa guys for those positions, but with CY in the first and a missing 2nd round pick there just isn't enough draft picks to fill all those needs with solid players, much less starters. Asking a lot to find starters in the 3rd, 4th and 5th at 3 different positions.

I'm not thrilled about a potential 28 year old Byron Jones and the kind of money he'll demand.. but we don't have any guys of that caliber in the secondary who can stay healthy either. Look at the Dallas game with guys signed off the street for what will happen.. not good.

Archived