Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Renegade7

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@KillBill26 I believe Paul Richardson contract savings depends on if its pre-June 1st vs post-June 1st, that's how NBC Sports saw it and what I'm seeing in other places.  I get your point, but he's making more then Terry, Harmon, and Sims combined.  I don't believe he's worth keeping at that dollar number, if it was different, I get where you coming from as a player that can help.  But that contract hurts more then it helps, imo.

no June 1 due to next year being an end of CBA year

25 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That would make more sense if we were actually a contender. In a season where we go 7-9 or 8-8 at absolute best, why bother for one year when you can trade him, get a high pick, and maybe hit on a building block?

You don't think we would have a chance to win the division next year given what we are seeing in the division overall?  I just don't think it is a very good division compared to others.  There is absolutely no dominant team in our division.  And with upgrades, new coaching , getting the best out of guys I just I think we have just as good a chance as any of others because there is no dominant team.

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'd be ok with guice love and a.p...actually I hope a.p does come back..isnt he just a few tds and yards away from breaking records..tho I'm sure he'll retire a viking it would be awesome to see him break some records in a skins uni..I know I know hes old as hell but hes still performing at a...high?...level

I'd keep him around as long as he wants to play with us at an affordable price.  He's a great example of toughness and hard work for the entire team. 

We are at such an awesome place for a rebuild. Our (soon to be expensive) skill position players are mostly on rookie contracts. Those are your extra expensive FAs.

FAs are always expensive, always. Skill positions, more so. However, CB and maybe LT are the only really expensive positions we need to target. 

TE, FS, OLB we will over pay for. Yes, but not like at CB or if it was WR. 

These FA contracts that we'll most likely get this offseason, will start expiring in 2 or 3 years, when our rookie contract players are looking for their first real professional contracts.

This gives us the opportunity to go all in one day one this offseason. We can spend big in FA this year to patch a lot of holes and become a very competitive, if not contending team and it gives us 3 years of drafting before that comes home to roost, to address the future.

We could not be in a better place to begin anew.

Dump all the old guard (except the interior Oline and Dunny) and go big in FA.

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

You don't think we would have a chance to win the division next year given what we are seeing in the division overall?  I just don't think it is a very good division compared to others.  There is absolutely no dominant team in our division.  And with upgrades, new coaching , getting the best out of guys I just I think we have just as good a chance as any of others because there is no dominant team.

Dallas underachieved so badly due to coaching that its criminal.  They get a hardass like Rivera, different story, huge reason why we scoped him up before they did.  

It is tempting to want to try to go all in to win a weak division, but its been noted a couple times how quickly that cap space can disappear just doing what you are supposed to do, not counting above and beyond.  We could overachieve and be in the conversation if we play our cards right.  But I wish the front office or Rivera would come out and say they are rebuilding the roster and expect patience, I don't want to be sold this being a fringe playoff team versus what it really is, we've all seen that before, I don't want to get mad for no reason.

Goal should always be a championship, one game at a time.  But damn, we are 3-13.  We've done that twice since 1994, following season we won 6 games, then next time we won 4.  I wish this organization would just be honest with us for a change, I can live with that if I know there's a plan.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We are at such an awesome place for a rebuild. Our (soon to be expensive) skill position players are mostly on rookie contracts. Those are your extra expensive FAs.

FAs are always expensive, always. Skill positions, more so. However, CB and maybe LT are the only really expensive positions we need to target. 

TE, FS, OLB we will over pay for. Yes, but not like at CB or if it was WR. 

These FA contracts that we'll most likely get this offseason, will start expiring in 2 or 3 years, when our rookie contract players are looking for their first real professional contracts.

This gives us the opportunity to go all in one day one this offseason. We can spend big in FA this year to patch a lot of holes and become a very competitive, if not contending team and it gives us 3 years of drafting before that comes home to roost, to address the future.

We could not be in a better place to begin anew.

Dump all the old guard (except the interior Oline and Dunny) and go big in FA.

Wow..dont think I've seen ya ever say so much..lol good stuff tho man..great points here.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dallas underachieved so badly due to coaching that its criminal.  They get a hardass like Rivera, different story, huge reason why we scoped him up before they did. 

I guess when you take their roster and look at the talent it is safe to say they are definitely underachieving.   I wonder who the hardass they could bring in that would be able coexist with Jerruh.   

But I wish the front office or Rivera would come out and say they are rebuilding the roster and expect patience, I don't want to be sold this being a fringe playoff team versus what it really is, we've all seen that before, I don't want to get mad for no reason.

I get what your saying.  And we are rebuilding.  We have some good pieces on the Offensive side of the ball, at receiver, but need a better O line, a decent TE, and of course Haskins needs to take that next step.  Still I am not sure the talent has been tapped to its to capacity.  

The area that has bothered me the most over the years as a fan is our secondary.  Still no decent FS, and CB's being beat like drums.  So patience is probably key.   

After the list of FA's was posted, which is not impressive, hmmm yeah....patience...lol!

I know when Gruden started he came out with the patience moniker but somehow I think I would probably feel more confident with Rivera saying it.

51 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@KillBill26 I believe Paul Richardson contract savings depends on if its pre-June 1st vs post-June 1st, that's how NBC Sports saw it and what I'm seeing in other places.  I get your point, but he's making more then Terry, Harmon, and Sims combined.  I don't believe he's worth keeping at that dollar number, if it was different, I get where you coming from as a player that can help.  But that contract hurts more then it helps, imo.

I know someone already mentioned no June 1st rule this year, so his 8.3 cap number minus 6 mil in signing bonus portion is about 2.3 mil.

Agreed on how he is nowhere near worth that contract.  He is too injury prone, and even when he is on the field, he isn't that productive. 

I don't really feel strongly either way about keeping vs cutting him.  We aren't going to be able to trade him for anything.  But considering the savings is only 2.3 mil, we aren't going to be cap strapped this year or next, I think keeping him on to aid Haskins development might be worth it.  But if someone impresses in training camp and takes his spot, great!  Or once we make decisions on some other roster spots via free agency and extensions and we feel clearing his number off the books for 2021 is better, great!  Or if we decide since he definitely isn't in our long term plans, and there is a young pup that we would rather give the roster spot to (a la Steven sims this year), great!  Cut him and move on. 

But 2020 is a huge year for Dwayne Haskins.  If we didn't have a young potential franchise QB in the fold, I'd be more comfortable with cutting p rich and Moses, but I want to surround Haskins with the best supporting cast we can without hindering our long-term plan, and I think keeping p rich for now satisfies that.

fwiw - I was advocating for the skins to trade p rich before the season bc I felt his production did not match his contract, so I completely understand your reasoning.  I just hope they take a wait and see approach to see how our roster looks at the end of the summer.

35 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

It was speculation, so no clue if I truly want to or not, but thankfully there are people far more qualified than I making the decisions, especially with the new regime changes. 

But I do know this - while I might be one of the biggest Guice fans on the planet, if we roll into next year with expecting Guice, Love and AP to carry the load given their history and APs age, then it's malpractice. 

So looking at that list, knowing we have a ton to spend and RB is a glaring need, then yes, my Madden like GM skills say, sign me up for Derrick Henry and add another Bama boy to the mix. 

You said let’s add both Henry boys and now you say no clue if you really want it or not.

were still rebuilding so this is the perfect year you roll with Love and Guice to see whether or not they’re capable of the nfl grind. Signing an RB in his prime coming off a 3-13 season makes no sense. 

I also don’t see RB as a glaring need. TE is a glaring need. LT if Williams doesn’t return is a glaring need. RB is not.

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But I wish the front office or Rivera would come out and say they are rebuilding the roster and expect patience, I don't want to be sold this being a fringe playoff team versus what it really is, we've all seen that before, I don't want to get mad for no reason.

The FO can tell each other and Dan behind closed doors that the team is rebuilding and to be patient.   It does a disservice to the players who work hard and give their all, and to some extent the fans, to be be complacent with losing.  The philosophy should be win today AND tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

The FO can tell each other and Dan behind closed doors that the team is rebuilding and to be patient.   It does a disservice to the players who work hard and give their all, and to some extent the fans, to be be complacent with losing.  The philosophy should be win today AND tomorrow.

I don't believe "rebuilding" and "complacent with losing" are the same thing.  Those players are still playing for their career, that's why they loved Callahan so much because he focused and make sure to showcase players that wanted to give it what they had so either the Redskins or someone else will give them a chance to start and get a contract.

Teams announce they are rebuilding all the time to make clear to the fans to chill on demanding people's heads because they aren't with playoffs just to keep the relationship honest.  Most of these players already know without being told that even if they do well, that doesn't mean they will have enough talent to have a winning record or will even be on the team in 2021.  Jonathan Allen is the perfect example of someone who I don't expect to resign here but will give his all in hopes we do or someone else will.

Get rid of all those guys. I'd keep Dunbar though, he's a solid player on a very good deal. No upside to cutting him.

I'd keep guys on rookie contracts. You don't gain much getting rid of them as you'd just have to replace them with other cheap players who are likely to be worse anyway.

59 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It is tempting to want to try to go all in to win a weak division, but its been noted a couple times how quickly that cap space can disappear just doing what you are supposed to do, not counting above and beyond.  We could overachieve and be in the conversation if we play our cards right.  But I wish the front office or Rivera would come out and say they are rebuilding the roster and expect patience, I don't want to be sold this being a fringe playoff team versus what it really is, we've all seen that before, I don't want to get mad for no reason.

They've really hurt you, huh?

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe "rebuilding" and "complacent with losing" are the same thing.  Those players are still playing for their career, that's why they loved Callahan so much because he focused and make sure to showcase players that wanted to give it what they had so either the Redskins or someone else will give them a chance to start and get a contract.

Teams announce they are rebuilding all the time to make clear to the fans to chill on demanding people's heads because they aren't with playoffs just to keep the relationship honest.  Most of these players already know without being told that even if they do well, that doesn't mean they will have enough talent to have a winning record or will even be on the team in 2021.  Jonathan Allen is the perfect example of someone who I don't expect to resign here but will give his all in hopes we do or someone else will.

Are we "rebuilding" though?🤔

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

They've really hurt you, huh?

They made me cry twice when I was a kid, yes, yes they have.

Being a millennial Redskins fan is like finding out Europe had water running down hill for miles to help Rome's plumbing and sewage system, then dark ages people constantly looking up at the aqueducts for a 1000 years falling apart imagining they were for something important.

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Are we "rebuilding" though?🤔

God I hope so.

Archived