Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

I have attached the Redskins Cap Situation for 2020-2021 (there's a little dead money not showing up but its minimal). It also includes their PFF player grade.

Major takeaways:

*We have 1 corner under contract for 2021. Greg Stroman. So far, none of the corners outside of Dunbar are worth extending.

*Only Quinton Dunbar had a 70+ rating as a corner. We should extend him if we can get a reasonable deal done.

*Need to redo the linebacker corps in order to go 4-3. Will need a few free agents for this plus some late round draft picks. 

*5th year option (have until May 30) on Jonathan Allen . Does Ron Rivera see something in him that we haven't seen.  This option would be around $15 million (there goes the savings from cutting Alex Smith in 2021)

Moves:

*Do something with Kerrigan's contract. You could guarantee the $11mill and then extend him by 3 years for example. Or cut him (would be sad to see a great and loyal Redskin go. That and we need team leaders).

*Cut Jeremy Sprinkles once you sign a free agent or two. Saves $2.14mill.

*Cut Alex Smith in 2021

*We could cut many of the lower paid underporfmers once Rivera can bring in some of his people.

***We can afford 2 or 3 top tier free agents. With Alex Smith's $13 mill savings in 2021, we could easily afford the free agent's contracts for 2-3 years and won't need to extend Dwayne Haskins for over 3 years (hence saving about $30 mill if/until he becomes good). No major 2021 contracts coming up for extension as the Redskins have underperformed vs average starters (hence our #2 draft pick). 

***We need more draft capital!!

Redskins Cap Situation.xlsx

• Like 2
On 1/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Norman, Reed and Richardson + cap carryover puts us at $70 million. 

Trading Trent frees another $12.5 million. 

Do we still get the cap carryover if we trade TW?

5 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Do we still get the cap carryover if we trade TW?

We already carried over $12m from 2019. When i posted this it hadn’t been made official.

Trading Trent immediately frees us $12.5 million and puts us at $74m. My math was a bit off with that projection. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We already carried over $12m from 2019. When i posted this it hadn’t been made official.

Trading Trent immediately frees us $12.5 million and puts us at $74m. My math was a bit off with that projection. 

Thanks. That’s what I thought but couldn't find a direct source on the matter. Is it fair fo say that this is a cap windfall and that if TW gets traded, that adds another $12M? Thats $25M in extra cap for 2020 from one player alone that could offset cutting Alex Smith’s and his $21M cap hit (if not ready to play). 

@JaxJoe in theory ... yes. Trent was on the books for $14 million In 2019 and 2020. $3 million guaranteed in 2019 and $2 million guaranteed in 2020. So we didn’t pay $11m last year and it rolled into this year. Our cap would be $51m right now had we paid Trent his full salary in 2019 and projected pay for 2020. 

Rolling the $11m over to 2020 got us to $62m. And trading him gets us to $74.5m. So in essence yes, if we trade him we essentially free up $23m of the money he was owed last year and this year into our cap space. 

We ended up rolling about $12m over this year from last years cap. If Trent had played and been paid his $11m in game checks we wouldn’t have rolled any money over. So instead of $200m our cap this year is $211m. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why doesn't Snyder just meet with Alex Smith and make an agreement that Smith would retire to save the team on cap space. In this agreement, Dan would write Alex a personal check for the amount his contract would still be owed. The check would be off the record NFL wise, a gift of money from Dan to Alex. Smith still gets paid, but since he retires the team can recoup that cap space. Makes sense to me.

@skins2victory I believe that would be a massive violation of the salary cap. Unless somehow he offered him that $$ as a consultant but I can’t imagine the NFL would sign off on that. 

I think we ride Smith this year then cut him next year. Hell we could even cut him this year if we don’t eat all our cap up. It’s a $-10m hit on this years cap but would free up $30m next year. Or we could wait until next year and cut him and save $20m

but getting him to retire now accelerates 10 million, almost offsetting the insurance policy.  You really want to make him easier on the cap, extend him.  Give him a small bonus to extend his contract an extra year

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

that’s what I’d do, net cap gain from right now of 2mi.

Then move on.

Yep. Because you add $2m this year, but next year you free up $30. And actually, factoring in the $12m insurance play, there’s really no difference between cutting now or after the season ...

With Smith cut After 2020 it looks like:

2020: $61m

2021: $143m (W/ $12m ins)

2022: $159m

2020: $61 (W/ $12m ins)

2021: $143 

2022: $159 

Also these numbers are with a $211 cap in 2021 and 2022 and they’re saying $240m+ ... so add $30m to 2021 and 2022 if you want to see what those #’s are

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Team has a real opportunity with current core and cap flexibility. The improvement with football people running things will hopefully provide us fans a window of being elite. 

• Like 3