Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

I had to look around, but I need help checking my work.  Is this actually accurate?  We'd have about $48 million if we did nothing, but could get somewhere around $52 million if we cut certain players?  If so, I don't even bother with trades or requested retirements.  Just do it and move on, send a message and do some of these folks a favor at the same time, like Kerrigan.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/5-steps-50-million-salary-cap-space-redskins

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

List from Article:

1. Cut Josh Norman / $12.5M saved and $3M hit

2. Cut Paul Richardson (post June 1 designation) / $6.5M saved and $2M cap hit

3. Cut or reach settlement with Jordan Reed / $8.5M saved and $1.8M cap hit

4. Trade or cut Ryan Kerrigan / $11.7M saved and $0 cap hit

5. Trade or cut Trent Williams / $12.75M savings and $2M cap hit

Looking at OverTheCap, cutting Moses would save about $4.8 million as well, we should cut him, too.  I don't want Trent back and do believe he's killed his trade value.  If we want to settle like we would with Kerrigan, fine, but I want to get this over with.  I like Dunbar, but I wouldn't be against cutting him, too, he's been missing a lot of games the last 2 seasons.  And yes, cutting Alex would cut into this huge amount of cap space, but if its really that large, which should just bite the bullet and get that over with as well.

image.png.5425485049c03ee808959e4d71ae6158.png

Again, need help confirming the math, and if anything, this is probably a huge reason Rivera took the job that I haven't seen talked about in a while, or at least this directly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Wow this is really good work @Renegade7.  Why do you not want Trent back?  I mean I still think he a lot left in the tank and one year removed healing his body, the change in regime I think he would really help the O line and provide some stability for Haskins.

What are your suggestions regarding the O line?  I just remember Haskins imploring them on what he could do to help them. I think we are going to wind up unfortunately franchise tagging Scherff unless he is excited by the changes in the organization, then maybe something is worked out. They have to pay him.  

• Like 2

Kerrigan, Trent, Reed, Thompson, Moses, Norman, Smith, Keenum, Richardson, Davis and Colt are all guys I would look to move. 

I would be okay with moving on from Nicholson and Fabian also.

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Wow this is really good work @Renegade7.  Why do you not want Trent back?  I mean I still think he a lot left in the tank and one year removed healing his body, the change in regime I think he would really help the O line and provide some stability for Haskins.

What are your suggestions regarding the O line?  I just remember Haskins imploring them on what he could do to help them. I think we are going to wind up unfortunately franchise tagging Scherff unless he is excited by the changes in the organization, then maybe something is worked out. They have to pay him.  

Trent is old, injury-prone and not the future. Plus he is still sour on this organization even with Goose Allen gone. The fact that we didn't trade him already for a 1st rounder is unacceptable management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of this will depend on what is available for FAs. If Trent wants to come back I'll take him because we could be down a couple OL (Moses,Sherff). If not trade if can cut if you must. Would also leave RK. Team leader and not sure if this's year was a legit decline or F'd up play calling.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Trent is old, injury-prone and not the future. Plus he is still sour on this organization even with Goose Allen gone. The fact that we didn't trade him already for a 1st rounder is unacceptable management.

I agree if he is still down on management he has to go. I mean Rivera would not put up with that ****.  But I still think so much bull**** went on between him and Allen I am more apt to give him a look if I am the HC.  

I still think a year out of the league and the age players are playing to now may have done his body good.   I think you take a look but I respect your position.

47 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

You cant let him come back in the building and act like nothing happened.  Plus we 3-13, is his cap worth it knowing hes going to miss games?  I can see the arguement for trading him, but for what now?  That value is dead, at this point other teams may be waiting for us to cut him while we battle to make sure this league year doesnt count.  Jus get it over with and move on, that's a lot of money we can use for other things.

If it gets to point we have to franchise him, so be it. That scene with Haskins and Oline might be overblown, but it stood out.  If we really are about a culture change, I absolutely want to purge this team without the requirement of putting up with BS for a chance at what next year?  It's not fair to expect a playoff berth next year, so let's not act like it. We shoulda nuked this roster a long time ago.

22 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

There should be other options, such as trading Kerrigan. He shouldn’t be outright cut. He still has value. 

The option is to post your rather do that, which I'm not against.  Even if we get what a 4th, I think hes done, and deserves enough respect to go sign with a contender not get traded to the browns.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much for trading/removing all those people except Moses (only because our moves on the OL are limited right now), and Dunbar.

I didn't put Smith either, because I don't think the team will cut him right now.

Kerrigan's position depends on if the Redskins get Young or not.

Though we really need to jettison that renegade7 guy. Talk about a drain on resources. ;)

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I agree if he is still down on management he has to go. I mean Rivera would not put up with that ****.  But I still think so much bull**** went on between him and Allen I am more apt to give him a look if I am the HC.  

I still think a year out of the league and the age players are playing to now may have done his body good.   I think you take a look but I respect your position.

The thing is, he has one year left on his deal. And there is a zero percent chance they'll pay the money he wants after that. You get what you can out of that situation.

It's the same thing we had with Kirk. They were never going to pay him and instead of getting a 1st rounder and maybe more, we payed him a ton through the tag and then got nothing.

It epitomizes what a moron Bruce Allen is and the fact that he made business decisions for the sake of winning pissing matches like a child. And sadly, in the Kirk situation many fans ate it up. That nonsensical video about the garbage offer they gave him. Lol, please.

• Like 3

Additionally, we should also think about moving Sherf. He spent almost half of another season hurt. The guy is talented, but he can’t stay on the field and wants 15 per. I think Martin could fill his spot adequately. We could get a great return on him. 

Trade bait: Kerrigan, Sherf ( 3rd/1st respectively) 

Cut: Reed, Richardson

Restructure/cut TBD: Norman/Smith

I would like to see what Rivera and Del Rio thinks about Norman before outright cutting him. I just find it hard to believe a corner can fall off that drastically without it being part of the defensive philosophy.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I think we could still get a low round pick for Kerrigan, which is why I wouldn't cut him. Same with TW.

Cutting Dunbar is crazy talk.

Like to hear why you say that about Dunbar.  He is probably our best corner, but played on 11 games this year and 7 last year.  At minimum I believe we should put him in the trade block so he doesnt become the next Chris Thompson, someone we put up with because of when they are healthy, but never are. 

I really want to get rid of everyone who has consistent injury issues, I'm ready to cut Guice and move him into broadcast booth before he ends up doing it from a wheelchair.  When you are 3-13 and your top 10 in contracts looks like that, what do you have to lose?

Hold on cap space for mid round picks, idk, I want to trade down anyway.  The quicker we get this over with, the better we can do what we need to do in FA to make sure as many of those picks are BPA and not desperate reaches as possible.

This is, of course, jus my opinion.

Norman, Reed and Richardson + cap carryover puts us at $70 million. 

Trading Trent frees another $12.5 million. 

Cutting Alex Smith actually takes off about $20 million in cap space but frees up A ton in 2021

Chris Thompson, Brandon Scherff, Ereck Flowers are free agents. So they are not factored into any of our cap room 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
48 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

It’s too early to give up on Guice 

( see: Dalvin Cook) 

I really like Guice and want to agree with you, i have his jersey, but Cook didnt injury his knee in college nor finish his only two NFL seasons on IR.  We've all seen this movie before, I cant even process Bryce Love right now after Keith Marshall : (

Edited by Renegade7

Here are the easy ones for me:

- Cut Norman ($12.5)

- Cut Reed ($8.5)

- Cut Richardson ($6.5)

Cap carryover ($12.5) on top of our current space ($34) gets you to $46.5. Those cuts get you to $74 million. 

That includes keeping Trent and Kerrigan. I can’t see Ryan leaving or being cut. But if Trent won’t come back then trade him for a late 1st and that takes you to $86.5 million

$76m is plenty though. Get a CB1, TE1 resign Scherff And a couple vets and you still probably have $30-35m to roll over into 2021 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The thing is, he has one year left on his deal. And there is a zero percent chance they'll pay the money he wants after that. You get what you can out of that situation

It epitomizes what a moron Bruce Allen is and the fact that he made business decisions for the sake of winning pissing matches like a child. And sadly, in the Kirk situation many fans ate it up. That nonsensical video about the garbage offer they gave him. Lol, please.

I agree wholeheartedly regarding Allen and I am not sure that Danny Boy was not aligned with some of that bull ****.  

Okay but here is my only point regarding TW.  What if Rivera talks to him, the air is cleared, and you take him back for one year even as a stopgap and then let him test his wares in FA.   I guess I am looking at who is going to be available in FA at LT.  And if we do the BPA at #2 it is Chase Young and we are not picking again until the third round where does that leave us?  

Edited by skinsmania123
  • Like 1

We can definitely create plenty of space but I'm not sure we will need it all, I looked at the upcoming free agents and it's not impressive when you take in consideration where we are as a team and the age of the free agents available.

2020 Top Free Agents

1870003305_Annotation2020-01-01134424.png.a6ff21bc39d596ab8660ab09f07b5bf2.png

2.png.5f91aec8909f958aff74e9f37b5a8d4b.png

3.png.143bf26db5779b05c41e6b7b72b4d922.png

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 7