Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coaching hire in the Snyder era?

bakedtater1

I mentioned something in the press release of the hiring of Ron Rivera possibly being the best hiring for the Redskins scince Snyder had bought the Redskins. Let's break it all down. I truly believe Snyder has finally seen the light and has hit a homerun with this hire.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Do you still want TK to throw a baked potato  on FedEx field now that you like the coach?

O.    M.    G.   I didnt even think about this...he told me to shut up about that..yeah..I guees I need to change it up 😪...

I like the hire. I like his pedigree and many of his accomplishments, but before we dub him the best Snyder coaching hire(which is admittedly more of a speed bump than a mountain) let's let him assemble a staff, run a training camp, and at least win a scrimmage.

That said, it feels good to feel good about the future of this team again.

Perspective is needed. Every head coach Snyder has gotten, with the exception of Zorn, immediately after was dubbed a great hire. And yet here we sit, 21 seasons into his ownership, 50 games under .500 during that time. Optimism is certainly warranted, but just sayin.

I think Rivera can be a great hire if Snyder gives him full support, time, and doesn't undermine Rivera's football decisions.  Like many here, I have often doubted whether Snyder would ever get the fine balance right between being an involved, passionate owner and a meddling moron.  Still, I hope he can change and will do things differently this time around because eating a plate of crows about my opinion on Snyder will be so much preferable to being correct.  Snyder got the first step correct: Hire a competent football man to run the ship.  Now let him do his job.

I'd still argue Shanahan was his best, and if he'd never meddled with him a la the RG3 saga, who knows where the Shanahan Era would have ended. But we'll never know. 

But that's my $0.02.

And I'll add though, if Jack Del Rio rumors turn out to be true, this is the most excited I've been for Redskins news in forever.  I'm very excited to potentially match up two defensive minded coaches with the TONS of defensive talent we have on our roster after having to suffer through years of abuse watching Haslett, Barry, Mansucky. 

Hail. 

15 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

And I'll add though, if Jack Del Rio rumors turn out to be true, this is the most excited I've been for Redskins news in forever.  I'm very excited to potentially match up two defensive minded coaches with the TONS of defensive talent we have on our roster after having to suffer through years of abuse watching Haslett, Barry, Mansucky. 

Hail. 

THIS!!!!

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

Nothing personal but what is it with fans and claiming something is the best before seeing proof.

Apparently we have the best defensive line, WR corp and now coaching hire.

Good point..I thought maybe it was premature to start this..but I just feel to warm inside lol

I think what we are going to find some of the first rounders we think just need coaching just really average to some are way overrated and arent very good and the change could actually see some players that have produced take a step back.

For example nothing has shown us Allen is anything special, I would argue he is closer to bust then good

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I mentioned something in the press release of the hiring of Ron Rivera possibly being the best hiring for the Redskins scince Snyder had bought the Redskins. Let's break it all down. I truly believe Snyder has finally seen the light and has hit a homerun with this hire.

Im inclined to agree. Looks like we are going to have a strong coaching staff.

The key is to add a strong front office, exec, structure alongside that.

Let's see what happens.

Rivera has to surpass Gibbs 2 playoff berths, meaning at least 3 berths.  He has to win at least 2 playoff games.

He does that, then he can earn that title.

Whether Rivera becomes one of the greats, he needs to surpass his record in Carolina. That means winning a Superbowl. 

To be the greatest Redskins coach,  he needs to win 4 Super bowls.

So, let's see what happens. Yes, he has to surpass the legend. He does that, then we can be proud.

This is Dan following his same predictable pattern:

Hire an unproven offensive coach in hopes that he will uncover the next Joe Gibbs, but undermine him when he flounders because of a lousy roster. Then replace him with a big name established coach and cede full roster control.

As a coaching hire, Rivera makes infinitely more sense than Schotferbrains or Lobsterman hires, both of which I loathed. But the set-up is exactly the same, which is irrefutable evidence that after twenty years of failure, Snyderman has learned nothing.

Once again, no search for a qualified GM, something we haven't had since Beathard left for SD. Instead, the GM will be the coach's lackey. 

It's been obvious for some time now that Allen was on his way out, but rather than concentrating on finding a proven replacement, it was all about a shiny new coach instead. Maybe Rivera will be like Belichik or Carroll and excel at dual duty, but it's far far more likely he will be a self-indulgent failure like Holmgren, Shanahan, Schotferbrains, Seifert, et Al.

Rivera is a better hire than Gibbs???? Come on.

I love the Rivera hire but nothing was better than the Gibbs hire. It needed to be paired with a Vinny firing but regardless no one ever will come close to Gibbs even including the underrated Gibbs 2.0 era. Playoffs 2 out of 3 years with Vinny picking the ingredients is nothing short of a miracle.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

It's been obvious for some time now that Allen was on his way out, but rather than concentrating on finding a proven replacement, it was all about a shiny new coach instead. Maybe Rivera will be like Belichik or Carroll and excel at dual duty, but it's far far more likely he will be a self-indulgent failure like Holmgren, Shanahan, Schotferbrains, Seifert, et Al.

What I read from the Rivera quotes a couple days ago was that he doesn't even want full GM control and is fine with the draft and fa being ran by somebody else.

Hilariously, considering the favorable position to hire any qualified GM to run the show, Dan will hire nobody because he's actually going to be the GM himself again or continue with his failed committee approach which always fails because of obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I think what we are going to find some of the first rounders we think just need coaching just really average to some are way overrated and arent very good and the change could actually see some players that have produced take a step back.

For example nothing has shown us Allen is anything special, I would argue he is closer to bust then good

Maybe the change brings out the best in these players and they show why they went in the first round.

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah it would be nice if there was some more clarification from the organization about what the plans for the actual GM position is going forward.  Glad Bruce Allen is out, but now what?

Anything but Bruce is what's happening...

5 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I'd still argue Shanahan was his best, and if he'd never meddled with him a la the RG3 saga, who knows where the Shanahan Era would have ended. But we'll never know. 

But that's my $0.02.

Hail. 

I agree here..I still slam the table 2012 was our closest to a super bowl scince 91..i GURUANTEE we would have beat seattle had the turf not reached up and bit rg3...than yeah snyder ****ed it all up the following year..forcing rg3 back and changing the way he plays 

Archived