Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coaching hire in the Snyder era?

bakedtater1

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah it would be nice if there was some more clarification from the organization about what the plans for the actual GM position is going forward.  Glad Bruce Allen is out, but now what?

I would imagine we have a little better idea after 2 pm tomorrow

4 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

How many new threads have you started recently? Man-o-day.

Hiring a coach means you need to wait and see what they do over time....years. It's like draft picks and the 3-year rule.

We'll see. 

Man-o-day?...please explain lol...I thought about that...I hope I'm not starting to many new threads..I understand not every thought needs to be a thread. But I truly believe out of all the hires this is his best job yet.

7 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

This is Dan following his same predictable pattern:

Hire an unproven offensive coach in hopes that he will uncover the next Joe Gibbs, but undermine him when he flounders because of a lousy roster. Then replace him with a big name established coach and cede full roster control.

As a coaching hire, Rivera makes infinitely more sense than Schotferbrains or Lobsterman hires, both of which I loathed. But the set-up is exactly the same, which is irrefutable evidence that after twenty years of failure, Snyderman has learned nothing.

Once again, no search for a qualified GM, something we haven't had since Beathard left for SD. Instead, the GM will be the coach's lackey. 

It's been obvious for some time now that Allen was on his way out, but rather than concentrating on finding a proven replacement, it was all about a shiny new coach instead. Maybe Rivera will be like Belichik or Carroll and excel at dual duty, but it's far far more likely he will be a self-indulgent failure like Holmgren, Shanahan, Schotferbrains, Seifert, et Al.

Why are people so hung up on this.  The new norm in the nfl is get the coach you want and find a gm that will fit with him and help him build his team.  Oakland, SF have done this, clevland is doing it this yr, Houston fired the gm cause he didnt mesh with obrian.  Its fine Rivera will find someone that will build his team.

I have a feeling its gonna be a young personnel guy that hasnt been gm yet like Kyle Smith, Dan Morgan in Buffalo, Ed Dodds in indy or someone of the ilk.  Its the way i would go so a power struggle doesnt develop

9 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

That dont help me...I ask for an explanation and instead of just talking to me ya send me a link to urban dictionary..what is that..it still didnt explain what the term man o day means..if your on the east coast it must be an east coast saying..I've never heard the saying man o day..

Been an ES viewer for a long time. Early 2000's from what I remember. Havent posted much at all.

This feels so right! Rivera is exactly what this franchise needs. From the top (Danny), down (us as loyal fans).

I have to say not knowing all that much about RR, the idea of bringing him in was blah to me at first. But reading more about him, his coaching style, his belief in creating a winning culture first, his desire to make people around him better, has me beyond excited and hopeful.

The more articles, tweets, videos I read and watch, the more I love this guy. I want to run through walls for him. I want to become a better husband, father, coach. I want to become a better person! I can only imagine what he will do for our locker room.

Imo, the culture change has begun already. I dont think we need to fix everything this offseason. Hiring RR is like a fine wine. Danny boy just popped the cork. Let's let it breathe.

The interesting thing about where the Shanahan era could have gone differently is if they had drafted Russell Wilson instead of Cousins to back up RG3.  They supposedly were eyeing Wilson as their Plan B because he had a similar skill set but they also felt he could potentially be a better actual QB to go with the sizzle.   

The Shanahan's weren't doing all so hot in DC until RG3 was drafted and they enjoyed the 1 year of success before we all know what happened, happened.  Would have been interesting to see Wilson go from back up to starter, being able to pretty much run the same type of offense without skipping a beat, but be smarter about his scrambling, and just an all around better passer.  

1 hour ago, boston skins fan said:

Why are people so hung up on this.  The new norm in the nfl is get the coach you want and find a gm that will fit with him and help him build his team.  Oakland, SF have done this, clevland is doing it this yr, Houston fired the gm cause he didnt mesh with obrian.  Its fine Rivera will find someone that will build his team.

I have a feeling its gonna be a young personnel guy that hasnt been gm yet like Kyle Smith, Dan Morgan in Buffalo, Ed Dodds in indy or someone of the ilk.  Its the way i would go so a power struggle doesnt develop

In SF, Lynch was technically hired before Shanahan.  True part of that was because the Falcons made the Super Bowl, but it seemed like more of a simultaneous process rather than hiring the coach first and then finding a GM

Coach' return for his 2nd go-around. 

And it's not even open to debate. 

The excitement when it first broke the Gibbs was returning was off the charts mad ecstasy. It completely unified the WHOLE fanbase. 

This is great as it's (hopefully) bringing around internal structuring right the way through the organisation to a professional level again. 

But it doesn't compare at all to the unadulterated bedlam of Coach' return. 

Hail.  

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Coach' return for his 2nd go-around. 

And it's not even open to debate. 

The excitement when it first broke the Gibbs was returning was off the charts mad ecstasy. It completely unified the WHOLE fanbase. 

This is great as it's (hopefully) bringing around internal structuring right the way through the organisation to a professional level again. 

But it doesn't compare at all to the unadulterated bedlam of Coach' return. 

Hail.  

Absolutely - I still remember when it was announced.  I had a dentist appointment that day in DC and you could feel the electricity in the city.  Absolutely tangible.

Gibbs.  Not even a contest.  I firmly believe if they went for Brees he would have gotten another SB or been really close.  GOAT coach IMO.  2 Playoffs and a playoff win in 4 yrs.  Not bad under the management.  I still remember how excited I was when I heard.  Mind was blown!

Marty was 2nd.  Rivera is a good hiring though, it has grown on me.  Seems like an awesome dude.

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

What I read from the Rivera quotes a couple days ago was that he doesn't even want full GM control and is fine with the draft and fa being ran by somebody else.

Hilariously, considering the favorable position to hire any qualified GM to run the show, Dan will hire nobody because he's actually going to be the GM himself again or continue with his failed committee approach which always fails because of obvious reasons.

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah it would be nice if there was some more clarification from the organization about what the plans for the actual GM position is going forward.  Glad Bruce Allen is out, but now what?

Yup, I really hope our media members ask him good questions tomorrow about this. I wonder if Dan is going to take questions, too? He should. 

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the hire is what Ron said about the roles he’d like to see for player personnel acquisition organizationally. It can easily mean nothing because Jay had the same idea, but that’s nonetheless awesome to hear and I hope he’s able to follow through. 

This is the part of the Snyder Cycle were accustomed to where, out of desperation, he cedes pretty much everything to the new, veteran, coach after hiring the inexperienced guy with a high ceiling. In the past that cessation simply doesn’t last for long and the structure/support around them still hinders them considerably. 

But the good news is this is the first time within said Snyder Cycle we actually have the coach himself recognizing he can’t and/or shouldn’t do it all himself.

That’s what has me really excited.

And as an added, massive bonus, Larry Hess was fired. Which means Snyder’s “guys” and his structuring of the organization which was, by far, the biggest obstacle to success (contrary to what our resident geniuses claim here who think they can assess coaching at a high level consistently), is all up for change. 

As long as Rivera holds true to his word about it, we might be ok. Even if we didn’t get rid of Allen in time to really find a TP or GM before his hire. The priorities seem to be there on the surface.

And I think it’s better they take their time with it instead of: 

1) Just elevating someone like Schaffer or Kyle before Ron gets a chance to work with them and;

2) Just hiring someone from a limited pool since most qualified candidates are still under contract with their respective teams. 

The potential for failure there is still very real, nonetheless. Ron can end up dictating they make a comfort hire as opposed to the best hire. And he might end up getting greedy about final say if he gets a taste, contrary to what he said about it recently. 

But it’s all more promising than anything we’ve had in a long, long time. 

10 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Absolutely - I still remember when it was announced.  I had a dentist appointment that day in DC and you could feel the electricity in the city.  Absolutely tangible.

That excitement was unparalleled. I still remember how I felt. And then to have it carry over to the first game against Tampa with Portis taking it to the house on the first play from scrimmage. Lordy, lordy......

20 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I wonder if Dan is going to take questions, too? He should. 

Snyder needs to start the entire thing off by explaining himself, the past 10 years, or 21 years, since he hasn't said a damned thing to the fans during his entire Bruce debacle.

Not to mention, he's sat right there in FedEx field for 21 years and watched it week by week slowly turn from a rabid fanbase that can't even get tickets to games unless they inherited them from ancestors, to today where 1/2 of the reduced amount of seats are empty and 80% of the attending fans are cheering for the wrong team.

If that doesn't motivate him to speak to the fans then this is really just all a charade, IMO.

6 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I agree here..I still slam the table 2012 was our closest to a super bowl scince 91..i GURUANTEE we would have beat seattle had the turf not reached up and bit rg3...than yeah snyder ****ed it all up the following year..forcing rg3 back and changing the way he plays 

Actually I think the turf held up pretty well this season, it was still green during the final Giants game, hopefully this problem is in the past now 

It could be. Gibbs is better because he has the best results under snyder so far. 

the thing that makes this interesting is we haven’t had solid DC talent since Gibbs. Blache was not impressive to watch but it worked. Williams was good. But who else? Hazlett, the ones under gruden... 

having a tough team with an aggressive and competent defense would have helped so much over the years...

it’s going to come down to the staff he puts together and whether the culture stuff we hear from Carolina is real and he can implement it here

Up until now it was Marty.  I say that because Marty canned Vinny and took total control over player personnel.  Really started to change the culture in the locker room and was going to make moves to bring in guys that bought in.  Dumb ass Snyder fired him and brought Cerrato back in WTF!!!!! Marty was going to fix the ****!!!

Archived