Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Rivera hit the nail on the head. Trading down in theory sounds great but often times you're giving up a star for a bunch of guys.

Look at the RG3 trade in 2012. Now can anyone name one player the Rams took with those picks without google?

The Chiefs traded up to get Pat Mahomes. What did the other team get for those picks? Nobody has any idea, because they passed up on what could be the QB of this generation.

Blue chip players win games. Chase Young is a blue chipper. We haven't had a blue chipper since RG3 and that was for just one year. We haven't had one on defense since Sean Taylor and that was 2007, 13 freaking years ago.

Chase Young. No matter what.

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera hit the nail on the head. Trading down in theory sounds great but often times you're giving up a star for a bunch of guys.

Look at the RG3 trade in 2012. Now can anyone name one player the Rams took with those picks without google?

The Chiefs traded up to get Pat Mahomes. What did the other team get for those picks? Nobody has any idea, because they passed up on what could be the QB of this generation.

Blue chip players win games. Chase Young is a blue chipper. We haven't had a blue chipper since RG3 and that was for just one year. We haven't had one on defense since Sean Taylor and that was 2007, 13 freaking years ago.

Chase Young. No matter what.

correction.. blue chip QUARTERBACKS win games. while pass rushers could impact a game and could even win one or two.. most of the time teams can game plan to put them out of the game.

how many superbowls have any of these guys won?

• Cameron Jordan, Saints.
  • Myles Garrett, Browns. ...
  • Calais Campbell , Jaguars. ...
  • Demarcus Lawrence, Cowboys. ...
  • Joey Bosa, Chargers. ...
  • Jadeveon Clowney, Texans. ...
  • Danielle Hunter Vikings. ...
  • Mack
  • Donald
  • Von Miller

3 hours ago, oraphus said:

correction.. blue chip QUARTERBACKS win games. while pass rushers could impact a game and could even win one or two.. most of the time teams can game plan to put them out of the game.

how many superbowls have any of these guys won?

• Cameron Jordan, Saints.
  • Myles Garrett, Browns. ...
  • Calais Campbell , Jaguars. ...
  • Demarcus Lawrence, Cowboys. ...
  • Joey Bosa, Chargers. ...
  • Jadeveon Clowney, Texans. ...
  • Danielle Hunter Vikings. ...
  • Mack
  • Donald
  • Von Miller

This argument is tired. No one player wins you a SB. Brady didn't do it alone, Steve Young didn't do it alone, the "one player away" argument is tired too. San Fran went from crazy to the SB. Was it because they drafted Bosa? No. But it sure as hell made a huge difference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Doesn’t matter if Garrett was generational. Setting his year 1 floor as Myles Garrett is lofty. 

He can do it. I absolutely believe that. But I think we’re setting expectations high for a NFL rookie.

Your PS was my point @Alcoholic Zebra :)

Young is generational and double digit sacks and dominating the end should be expected. This draft has a top 10 thats as good or better than most and thats without even including Young and yet there's zero discussion who's the hands down best player. If Burrow didn't have such an amazing year, we'd have no shot at Young at 2. You can point out that he's raw and has room to improve and that is just awesome.

And were adding that generational talent to not only our strength and most talented unit, but our leader in Allen and to a group of guys who all buy in and want it bad. I'm pretty excited about my high hopes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This argument is tired. No one player wins you a SB. Brady didn't do it alone, Steve Young didn't do it alone, the "one player away" argument is tired too. San Fran went from crazy to the SB. Was it because they drafted Bosa? No. But it sure as hell made a huge difference. 

I agree with you,  

As an aside, There is only one player in my memory who really put an entire team on his back and carried them almost on his own.  Elway before Shanahan.  The fact he got those broncos teams to multiple SBs is astonishing.  Then when they played actual championship caliber teams (49ers, Skins, Giants), he alone wasn’t enough.  But he basically took the Broncos to the SB based on his considerable will.  I view that basically as the exception which proves the rule. 

/tangent

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

True but a lot of that has to do with the fact Fisher was a complete dope. 

Didn't they have the 2nd or 3rd pick in the  2014 draft and also trade down and blow it?

So dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Young is generational and double digit sacks and dominating the end should be expected. This draft has a top 10 thats as good or better than most and thats without even including Young and yet there's zero discussion who's the hands down best player. If Burrow didn't have such an amazing year, we'd have no shot at Young at 2. You can point out that he's raw and has room to improve and that is just awesome.

And were adding that generational talent to not only our strength and most talented unit, but our leader in Allen and to a group of guys who all buy in and want it bad. I'm pretty excited about my high hopes.

What does that have to do with my point?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

You want to carefully manage expectations, and I see your point, but it's hard to see him doing poorly with the depth along the line. 

The advantage of a 34 to 43 conversion is the defensive line gets a boost.

If he's not being talked about as DPOY, then something else went horribly wrong along the way. 

I like how they filled out the back end and keeping costs down. Hoping they are eyeing a FS next year on day 2. 

Listening to Rivera, It's pretty much a lock at this point. Chase Young is going to be on our team and we're going to have a seriously talented/young/deep DL. If Payne or Allen truly break out and one of them turns into a star I won't know what to do with my hands. Even though Payne had a down year, he's the guy who I think will have a really good year under JDR. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

What did the other team get for those picks? 

For what it’s worth Mahomes likely would not have had the same progression had he gone to the Bills. They ended up drafting Tre'davious White and Tremaine Edmunds with the picks from the trade, so they came out of it pretty well.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

They also drafted Jalen Hurd. The Butch Jones effect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One of the nice things about the Chase Young pick, is that it further extends our rookie contracts for DL's into the future.

Soon, Allen, Payne, Ioan will be FA's, and it's like insurance against that, so if any of them leave, our DL may not miss a beat.

That’s my only issue drafting another defensive lineman.  We have so much tied up in the position. I really think we should look at trading Jonathan Allen before we lose him for nothing because you can’t tie up all of that cap space in your D line. The 9ers traded Forest Buckner for the same reason. I don’t think we could get a 1st rd pick for Allen like they did but a 2nd this year would be great. We have Settle and Brantley to take that spot.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree with you,  

As an aside, There is only one player in my memory who really put an entire team on his back and carried them almost on his own.  Elway before Shanahan.  The fact he got those broncos teams to multiple SBs is astonishing.  Then when they played actual championship caliber teams (49ers, Skins, Giants), he alone wasn’t enough.  But he basically took the Broncos to the SB based on his considerable will.  I view that basically as the exception which proves the rule. 

/tangent

True but a lot of that has to do with the fact Fisher was a complete dope. 

Didn't they have the 2nd or 3rd pick in the  2014 draft and also trade down and blow it?

So dumb.

Elway is a great point. Reeves was an awesome coach too, but it was Elway and he got them through a pretty amazing division to get to those superbowls. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

To what I quoted. I don't know. Probably nothing, but its a point that you've made several times about not calling him generational, that I do kind of agree with but I was about to go to sleep and kind of worked up about something else and had been thinking about this, so ithe tangent kinda just slipped out. Good morning. 

1 hour ago, mojo said:

we should look at trading Jonathan Allen 

NO.  People need to stop saying this. We're about to add our last finishing piece to that unit. Allen is a team leader, potential double digit sack earner, perfect fit as a 3 tech DT in the 43 and before it gets finished people suggest wrecking it.

Were putting the whipped cream and cherry on our Sunday and you're trying to pick out the bananas. 

6 hours ago, Silvernon said:

You want to carefully manage expectations, and I see your point, but it's hard to see him doing poorly with the depth along the line. 

The advantage of a 34 to 43 conversion is the defensive line gets a boost.

If he's not being talked about as DPOY, then something else went horribly wrong along the way. 

I like how they filled out the back end and keeping costs down. Hoping they are eyeing a FS next year on day 2. 

No one said poorly, though.

And DPOY year one is the expectation now? Or do you mean eventually? I agree that to prove his worth he’ll need to be in that conversation some day. But I’ve been talking about managing expectations through year one and the beginning of his career. 

@Koolblue13 fair enough! Good morning man!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mojo said:

That’s my only issue drafting another defensive lineman.  We have so much tied up in the position. I really think we should look at trading Jonathan Allen before we lose him for nothing because you can’t tie up all of that cap space in your D line. The 9ers traded Forest Buckner for the same reason. I don’t think we could get a 1st rd pick for Allen like they did but a 2nd this year would be great. We have Settle and Brantley to take that spot.

Allen is the leader of the defense, no way he gets traded. He's also the best DT on the team with Ioannidis and Payne not far behind.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/29011098/ex_cid/espnapi_internal Rex Ryan wished like heck he would have had an elite pass rusher playing for him when he coached and basically said dominant pass rushers are the most important defensive players for a team to have.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39840/redskins-optimism-stems-from-front-four-likely-chase-young-addition?platform=amp

The Redskins' front applied pressure last season, as Washington registered a sack on 8.5% of pass attempts. That was tied for seventh in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But the team was 21st on sacks per pass attempt on third down. Not coincidentally, the Redskins were last in the NFL on third-down conversions.

Opposing quarterbacks posted an NFL-best 119.4 passer rating vs. Washington on third downs. That's the highest rating allowed by a defense since ESPN Stats & Info started tracking those numbers in 2001.

Poor communication in coverage contributed to those woes. There was also a lack of creativity up front at times, leading to less pressure. The Redskins have several players capable of applying heat: Allen, Ioannidis and Sweat -- all aged 26 or younger this season -- combined for 21.5 sacks last season. Kerrigan, who missed four games because of injuries in 2019, had 5.5 sacks. However, he had 37 the previous three seasons combined and will be able to rush more than ever while strictly playing end.

The Redskins can add Young to this mix and, they hope, have a defensive turnaround similar to San Francisco's. In 2018, the 49ers allowed a passer rating of 116.4 on third downs, second worst since 2001 after Washington's mark. Last season, opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.9 passer rating on third downs. The 49ers were tied for second overall on third-down conversions.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/04/113265/from-the-shoe-to-the-show-a-look-back-at-the-ohio-state-career-highlights-of-nfl-draft-prospect-chase-young?amp

qa5schacifqrryiwdggj.jpg

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 1

I think by switching back to a traditional 43 base alone puts us at more of a strength and that's without even adding Young to that group. The personnel just works.

We did pretty well on pressures and sack, mostly from raw talent, because it certainly wasn't coaching or coverage. Those will both improve.

I don't think it's going to take much for our sack and defensive production totals to increase regardless of adding Young, but he will get a ton of that credit (looks at @KDawg

The person who is going to really benefit from the switch to a JDR 43 is going to be Collins. He will be a centerpiece of this defense.

Also, I don't see where Chase Young is raw at all, or that he doesn't use his hands enough as a pass rusher. He uses his hands very well while pass rushing to keep blockers at bay, and has advanced skills and awareness for a 20 year old DE. Sure he can get better, and physically stronger, but he isn't raw. He's already a great player and will be from day 1 in the NFL.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98

38 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Also, I don't see where Chase Young is raw at all, or that he doesn't use his hands enough as a pass rusher. He uses his hands very well while pass rushing to keep blockers at bay, and has advanced skills and awareness for a 20 year old DE. Sure he can get better, and physically stronger, but he isn't raw. He's already a great player and will be from day 1 in the NFL.

He does use his hands well. Just not all the time. He’s so good with his feet he doesn’t need them. Hands on isn’t the only thing a DL needs. They need to work them. He’s so good with his feet he didn’t need to do anything else than get hands on and move.

10 hours ago, mojo said:

Part of my point is that they're rookie contracts, so that really reduces what we have tied up in the position.

And Allen is the last player I would trade right now.

He's the kind of player you need in the locker room.

He's one who will hold other players accountable (as well as himself) when things aren't going well. Not many players like that, and like him.

Plus, he could potentially be here a very long time.

• Like 1