Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I love the weekly "Chase young is playing great" vs "He didnt get a sack today cut him now" updates to this thread.

With the way hes playing, hes likely to have a 3 sack game before the end of the season.  No one is thinking the safety duo of Collins and Apke is capable of stopping a pass from even John Beck, so the fact we are #1 against the pass tells you we have probably the best DLine in the league.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:40 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

This is the reason we should never spend a high draft pick on the secondary with this DL. It would make such minimal impact on our passing defense. 

I disagree.  It doesn't necessarily take a high draft pick to find, but if you get legit lock down DBs and playmakers, then it will lead to turnovers and sacks.  Drive killers and extra possessions.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Didnt get a sack here either... so terrible... smh

Why don't they ever call those blocks in the back in that situation?  The rules don't count on screens?  That is an impossible block they drew up and the center didn't really come close to sticking it legally, but no chance of a flag.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw clipping called during the course of offensive play in an NFL game.

What I personally love about Chase is that whenever the cameras cut to the sidelines he's there encouraging players or taking an interest in whatever is going on. He's often the first to meet players coming off the field too. That kind of enthusiasm and interest is infectious and also unteachable. The physical skills will develop but I for one am rooting for that young man to be a success.

• Like 8

On 12/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, OVCChairman said:

I believe the shifting TE, no 85, was supposed to chip him and Chase beat him so bad he looked unblocked. 

Yeah looked like Ebron was supposed to block him.  The Steelers actually didn't leave him unaccounted for.  He was the reason for that motion.  Their block just didn't work.

The point of attack was the strongside C gap and Chase was responsible for the weakside C gap.  Normally the weakside end is not a factor on a run like that.  But Chase ignored the eye dressing motion to TE block and sniffed out the play.  It was kind of obvious where the ball was going to go on a run given the jumbo set extra tackle.  That's how Chase reacted so quickly once he read run.  But still, to get from that alignment to a pursuit tackle in the opposite C gap is just incredible speed and playmaking ability.  He's got instincts paired with athleticism.  He really does have it all and he's going to be an incredible all-around player.  This DL is going to win games.  The run defense is finally starting to come together.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Any of you touch a quarterback today? 

Not yet, but I took Cleveland to the Superbowl

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I disagree.  It doesn't necessarily take a high draft pick to find, but if you get legit lock down DBs and playmakers, then it will lead to turnovers and sacks.  Drive killers and extra possessions.

I do like the point someone made about Washington now being a great place for career rebounds like Darby. Id say we're a desirable one year contract team for secondary players.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I do like the point someone made about Washington now being a great place for career rebounds like Darby. Id say we're a desirable one year contract team for secondary players.

Certainly.  Who wouldn't want to play behind a stud defensive line?  DBs and LBs appreciate the big guys.  But to be realistic, pretty much any NFL job is precious and coveted for the guys who are in the one year contract market.  The Not For Long league is just brutal with how quickly opportunities disappear and often it's for reasons that are arbitrary or outside of your control.  It's a tough business.  Sometimes I feel like the guys who make it and have spectacular and long careers are almost psychotically delusional and focused.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Why don't they ever call those blocks in the back in that situation?  The rules don't count on screens?  That is an impossible block they drew up and the center didn't really come close to sticking it legally, but no chance of a flag.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw clipping called during the course of offensive play in an NFL game.

Yeah it's so inconsistent, and visibly incorrect at times that it's frustrating. 

What I want to know is how we got called for 2 roughing penalties against Detroit, one where a hand brushed the helmet of Stafford, and another where Allen (if I'm remembering correctly) landed on top of Stafford in the action of a tackle... meanwhile Smith was getting driven into the ground with regularity against Pittsburgh but it was not called a single time.  

IMHO the rule book is TOO big.  Stupid rules that the refs have to watch for that have literally no effect on the game play get called all the time.  The old 12th man penalty while he's running off the field is the dumbest rule in the book.  If the 12th guy on defense is 1 step from the sideline and CLEARLY not engaging in the action of the play that should not be a penalty, and the Refs should not be required to watch that action instead of watching the actual play beginning and alerting on an issue that does actually effect gameplay.  If they would simplify the rulebook so that rules don't change based on situation... like if an offensive player fumbles forward and it goes out of bounds then the ball comes back to the spot of the fumble... UNLESS he fumbles into the endzone and it goes out of bounds, then it's a touchback..  another stupid rule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

What I personally love about Chase is that whenever the cameras cut to the sidelines he's there encouraging players or taking an interest in whatever is going on. He's often the first to meet players coming off the field too. That kind of enthusiasm and interest is infectious and also unteachable. The physical skills will develop but I for one am rooting for that young man to be a success.

Agreed

Or like when he ****ed up against the Lions, he owned it, manned up and was humble about it, was a man there. Not every player comes into the league with the personal character and assurance we see in Chase (and Terry), but having that in a lockerroom is a huge plus for the other guys.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rivera has had plenty of success without using a 1st rounder on a DB though. Now that I think about it, I don't think Rivera has ever used a high pick on a DB. I could be wrong there as I'm just going off of memory but I think James Bradberry might be the highest he's ever gone and he was a late 2nd rounder.

22 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Any of you touch a quarterback today? 

No, but I know someone who has touched someone else

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I haven't bought a team jersey since the Moss/Portis days. I'm strongly thinking about grabbing a Young

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Rivera has had plenty of success without using a 1st rounder on a DB though. Now that I think about it, I don't think Rivera has ever used a high pick on a DB. I could be wrong there as I'm just going off of memory but I think James Bradberry might be the highest he's ever gone and he was a late 2nd rounder.

Not sure Rivera has much say in personnel, especially early on. Maybe he gained some cache when competing for a SB. 

On 12/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, NoCalMike said:

It's comparing apples to oranges though because we have no idea what Bosa's production would have been on this team as a rookie.  How often did the 49ers defense blitz linebackers that left Bosa in better situations to get to the passer? Bosa also lines up next to Arik Armstead who had 10 sacks as a DT.  He ended the year with 9 sacks so does that mean once the league adjusted to him his production went way down?  Young is a rookie and is learning the position against NFL caliber competition.  When you watch the film breakdowns and the reaction of the analysts they seem pretty sold on the guy already. 

Are we really arguing that Young's situation is so different than all the d ends in the league and all the d ends that have been rookies before, that he simply can't produce more than he has? That's the argument we are going with. He has 2 sacks and 4 qb hits in the last 8 games. There is really nothing that can be said about that other than it's not good. Why this is even an argument is beyond me. I would think most people had higher expectations than that.