Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

Ummm... Chase Young would like to disagree with you:

https://twitter.com/RobPaulNFL/status/1336087516504420354

How do you insert a tweet? LOL

That play shows his tremendous athleticism, as well as awareness.

But I also noticed he was completely unblocked.

Both things can be true.

Without his athleticism, that does not happen.

But if one guy blocks him, with just 1% effort, it wouldn't happen either.

Thanks to his talent and instincts, and thanks to the Steelers for not blocking him.

Letting CY go unblocked on any play is just asking for trouble

31 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

You're literally just making up stats. Let's just take last year first 12 games for Nick Bosa and look at the drastic difference between the two compared to elite rushers in the league. There's just no way to justify this other than saying Chase Young simply isn't ready to be a dominant pass rusher in this game. Was I hoping he would be? Yes. Is it disappointing that he is this far off from being one of the better rushers in the league? Yes. I don't know why that is an unreasonable position to have. 

2019 First 12 games vs Chase Young First 12 games

QB Hits

TJ Watt 28

Joey Bosa 22

Nick Bosa 18

Chase Young 6

QB Pressures

TJ Watt 46

Joey Bosa 42

Nick Bosa 32

Chase Young 10

How many Nick Bosa posters do you have on your wall?

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Both things can be true.

Thanks to his talent and instincts, and thanks to the Steelers for not blocking him.

I believe the shifting TE, no 85, was supposed to chip him and Chase beat him so bad he looked unblocked. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Both things can be true.

They probably did not block him by design. WHo would think someone could get down the line and launch themselves fast enough to catch the back.  🙂  Bet he doesn't get left unblocked again.  LOL  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It looks to me like the entire offensive line was pushing to the right, away from Chase Young, and STILL got there.  If he doesn't get his arm around Benny Snell's waist, that's a touchdown and likely the nail in the coffin for us at that point.

That still-shot captures it pretty well.

Gives me visions of the Lavar Leap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How is it that the stats you like to cite have to do with production but the things that are counterpoints to your argument have nothing to do with production?

It appears like you're wrong but you're too stubborn to admit it so you want to frame the conversation to your narrative rather than admitting you're incorrect.

Exactly this. @GOATFrerotte, you can't just IGNORE evidence that flies in the face of your argument and expect to be treated seriously. You've said MANY times in this thread "Chase gets handled one on one easily," or doesn't face many double teams. See below, for instance. Are you running away from saying this when the data says you're wrong?

On 11/15/2020 at 6:30 PM, GOATFrerotte said:

Sacks are the least of his issues. He has no impact on the game. Easily blocked with a single guy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

He's not, you're ignoring it because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

If Chase Young is not asked to pass rush on every play, then you can't get mad when he doesn't get a sack.  There are a lot of plays that his is not rushing the passer, he's got gap control, run defense, or edge contain.  Add to that a fair amount of times the other team is literally gameplanning to slow him down.  Additionally he does not play 100% of the snaps because we have the franchise leader in sacks playing the same position he is.  Bosa did not have Ryan Kerrigan eating up obvious pass rushing situations from him.  Look at Bosa's snap count vs Young... Bosa played 777 snaps his rookie season across 16 games, Young through 11 games has played 423.  Bosa played 76% of San Frans snaps... Young has played in 68%. 8 % may not be a ton but there is likely a very stark contrast in the situations he's one the field... hence the analogy of the batter getting ABs.  If he's not pass rushing specifically then there's a lack of opportunity for those all encompassing stats you're prioritizing. 

Young plays primarily on downs that can result in a run or a pass so the assignments and responsibilities aren't "go get the QB."  Go back and watch the game yesterday, there were MULTIPLE situations where you could tell Young was intentionally not going up field.  He engaged the blocker, then stepped back and jumped into a potential passing lane.  More than once he took it away.  That's by design because we knew Ben was not going to sit back there and take sacks all game.  

I like Chase Young. If it's the teams fault he isn't producing more than that's another excuse. The bottom line is his production numbers are not good. I have no clue why you guys can't just admit that, lol. It's hilarious the way you guys will skate around the basic fact that his pass rushing numbers are pretty poor and if you expected his numbers to be this poor when we drafted him then we just have different expectations. 

12 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I like Chase Young. If it's the teams fault he isn't producing more than that's another excuse. The bottom line is his production numbers are not good. I have no clue why you guys can't just admit that, lol. It's hilarious the way you guys will skate around the basic fact that his pass rushing numbers are pretty poor and if you expected his numbers to be this poor when we drafted him then we just have different expectations. 

There is no fault... this rotation makes the defense more efficient 

It's about stopping the opposing offense to give the team a chance to win... stats are a result, not a goal

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Fine. You know what? I’ll let you have this since this is all you got. His NUMBERS aren’t HOF worthy yet. That is very true.

You win.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

There is no fault... this rotation makes the defense more efficient 

It's about stopping the opposing offense to give the team a chance to win... stats are a result, not a goal

If that's what you're going with then fine. But if you went in to this season after what we were sold on Chase Young expecting his pass rushing production to be this poor then we just had completely different expectations. 

Just now, GOATFrerotte said:

If that's what you're going with then fine. But if you went in to this season after what we were sold on Chase Young expecting his pass rushing production to be this poor then we just had completely different expectations. 

I wasnt sold anything... his pass rushing production is not poor either 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I wasnt sold anything... his pass rushing production is not poor either 

As a fan base we've spent the last three decades clinging to small personal victories based off a few players exceptional stats, and even that was extremely rare.

Now that we're getting a small taste of what it looks like when an elite level talent uses his skills exactly as his coach asks of him and the results actually translate onto the field instead of just the record books, some fans are having a hard time processing that.

I totally understand the desire to see those gaudy statistics, we all want to be able to brag about how our team has a 20 sack a year guy, but personally I'm just as happy seeing a defense that has been stingy as hell and playing very sound team football.

Our defensive players seem to be more worried about being out of position and getting burned for a huge chunk plays than racking up stats.

I'm sure once this team establishes itself as a good team to be reckoned with you'll start seeing the players like chase really start to pile up the stats ( especially against bad offenses) but for now I think there's been a laser focus from the coaches on sound disciplined defense and it shows.

• Like 2

The Final Boss of Busts has a 78 PFF grade, placing him ahead of all but 4 players from the 2020 first round (Andrew Thomas, Tristan Whirfs, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk). That suggests he is top 5 in terms of production.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z259pmnytma2bi8yr5

Edited by Bacon
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The Final Boss of Busts has a 78 PFF grade, placing him ahead of all but 4 players from the 2020 first round (Andrew Thomas, Tristan Whirfs, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk). That suggests he is top 5 in terms of production.

People are comparing him to Bosa, not Andrew Thomas. And it's funny how Andrew Thomas has rebounded. I was not happy when he wound up with the Giants. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

People are comparing him to Bosa, not Andrew Thomas. And it's funny how Andrew Thomas has rebounded. I was not happy when he wound up with the Giants. 

I was jealous about that pick after the tumult surrounding Trent and resulting question marks surrounding our offensive line. We still need a tackle and interior depth but that unit has actually been quite strong this season, considering.

Edited by Bacon

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z259pmnytma2bi8yr5

All picked behind Chase which means he's SEVERELY underachieving and should be demoted to the CFL or thrown out of North America all together for impersonating a football player.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

All picked behind Chase which means he's SEVERELY underachieving and should be demoted to the CFL or thrown out of North America all together for impersonating a football player.

In Maryland, fraud is a max 15 year sentence.

Let's make sure to lock him up in Washington until he's served his time.