Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Kind of feel sympathy for Chase in that encounter.

Put him in a bit of an awkward situation.

Like, what's he supposed to say, "Uhhh....thanks ? I think ?"

or

"Haha, yea our team sucks !"

He should have just told him he sucks because of his lack of sacks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

In his last 8 games he has

2 Sacks

4 QB Hits

3 Hurries

1 Knockdown

6 Pressures

I just don't know what to tell you guys. That's not good production.

Just for a reference of what numbers can look like. Nick Bosa's first 8 game stretch

7 Sacks

13 QB Hits

11 Hurries

6 Knockdowns

24 Pressures

It's comparing apples to oranges though because we have no idea what Bosa's production would have been on this team as a rookie.  How often did the 49ers defense blitz linebackers that left Bosa in better situations to get to the passer? Bosa also lines up next to Arik Armstead who had 10 sacks as a DT.  He ended the year with 9 sacks so does that mean once the league adjusted to him his production went way down?  Young is a rookie and is learning the position against NFL caliber competition.  When you watch the film breakdowns and the reaction of the analysts they seem pretty sold on the guy already. 

• Like 1

I'm cool w/ Young dropping into coverage at a decent clip, provided he sells the o-line on the idea he is rushing. He pulls so much of the lines attention pre-snap, in the form of line shifts, that him faking pressure can screw up an O-lines alignment before the play even begins. It creates numbers on the opposite edge rushers side due to the line shift towards someone who is not rushing the QB. Its almost an artificial blitz and it has worked several times this season.

I'd say we should be doing this more w/ Sweat as well but the dude is so physically freaky that he can cover his side of the field while rushing the passer. Seriously, the dude has a "no fly zone" established over his person.

It also does not hurt that Young is great in space. Plus, since he is easily our DE w/ that highest snap count, plays like this can also give him half a blow if they avoid his space.

This is just another tool in the toolbox employed by our coaches. All the additional benefits are simply grave-y (Zombie Pun)

• Like 4

We have had Collins, Apke, Everett and Curl as our safeties, yet we are top 3 against the pass in the NFL. Do people really think our secondary is the reason for that statistic? That is a direct result of our DL and the play of Young! Each week teams are forced into a quick passing game where they can't take advantage of our secondary. Against the Steelers, even our best corner Fuller had his worst game, and still, Ben could not attack him down field like he would normally do. Young getting so much attention has helped every player on our DL look better, and that in turn has helped our entire defense be one of the best in the LEAGUE.

I know, I know. "But sacks..." 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

We have had Collins, Apke, Everett and Curl as our safeties, yet we are top 3 against the pass in the NFL. Do people really think our secondary is the reason for that statistic? That is a direct result of our DL and the play of Young! Each week teams are forced into a quick passing game where they can't take advantage of our secondary. Against the Steelers, even our best corner Fuller had his worst game, and still, Ben could not attack him down field like he would normally do. Young getting so much attention has helped every player on our DL look better, and that in turn has helped our entire defense be one of the best in the LEAGUE.

I know, I know. "But sacks..." 

this is why I don’t get why people have been praising Darby. None of our corners have impressed me including Fuller. Far too often are guys open downfield but never get thrown to because of the pressure up front. Does anyone have the stats for our cb in terms of passes thrown to versus completed?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

this is why I don’t get why people have been praising Darby. None of our corners have impressed me including Fuller. Far too often are guys open downfield but never get thrown to because of the pressure up front. Does anyone have the stats for our cb in terms of passes thrown to versus completed?

This is the reason we should never spend a high draft pick on the secondary with this DL. It would make such minimal impact on our passing defense. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

"What are you dropping into coverage for?"

Yeah I think all of D.C. was asking that same question at that moment lolol

The scary thing is he's actually pretty good in coverage...dude is a total freak. Even if we still ran last year's 3-4 he'd be good.

I think that was Bens point. Dropping Chase into coverage creates confusion and Ben was still worried that Chase was chasing him.

I think that's a good take away from Manuskys bull**** coaching last year for Sweat. He had very little off line experience in college. Now he has some.

For teams that are going to try and take away the rush of our line, being able to drop a DE into coverage and bring pressure from a blitzer should really help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

well, we see Darby keep up with his man often enough I think a lot of those times guys are open it's a zone and the ball ends up in the wrong place to see how this player or that player would have reacted to it

On 12/8/2020 at 9:15 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

To be fair, he’s probably correct that Snell gets in if he doesn’t run into the back of his OL who got stoned at the line by, I think, Cole Holcomb.

And if Chase hadn't taken out his legs he probably is able to push through the pile and get in. Its almost as if football is a team game. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

well, we see Darby keep up with his man often enough I think a lot of those times guys are open it's a zone and the ball ends up in the wrong place to see how this player or that player would have reacted to it

I see a lot of times he's on an island and very easily beaten whether because he bit on a double move or just loses track of the ball. I think he's adequate, don't get me wrong. I think for this defense he works but only if the front 4 gets consistent pressure. I cringe everytime the ball is in the area near him. He's good value for his contract but neither he nor Fuller is worth anywhere remotely close to 9-10 a year. 

19 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

And if Chase hadn't taken out his legs he probably is able to push through the pile and get in. Its almost as if football is a team game. 

Zackly.  Chase yanked him to the ground.  Play over.  That's a rook, with a lingering groin issue, running around the tackle to make the play.  Chase Young could probably have stoned Barry Sanders, he's that good. 

• Like 2