Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing is Chase Young is being double-teamed, right? Well there are 4 other 1st rounders (maybe less with Ionnadis out?) on that line that are now left 1 on 1 who you expect can beat their match ups.  If any of them could win more consistently, it would mean Young would get less attention on him.  

When Aldon Smith was wreaking havoc for the 49ers in 2011-2014 it was because Justin Smith was being double teamed, leaving Aldon to beat 1 guy.  

Chase Young is already being schemed for as if he is a 4th year pro bowl pass rusher.  The attention he gets from O-coordinators should be translating into other guys doing more. 

It wasn't just the double teams in and of themselves IMO Smith was a genius at the art of occupying blockers. Not sure any 5 tech ever did it better. 

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Ok...ok...you have the second pick in the draft.....

Mclaurin or Young?

Highest paid WRs don't make the money of Highest paid DEs. Positional value matters. If your telling me I can have an elite young talent at a bargain bin price, It is hard to not value the more expensive position.  (Ignoring team composition of course)

Unless I can lock down the ghost of Megatron in his prime, it is very difficult for me to choose an elite receiver over an elite edge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

You don't remember a loud group of fans who questioned his pick throughout his rookie year? Similar to Chase Young this year? The constant bringing up of a particular stat lacking (for Sean it was Interceptions). 

I actually find quite a bit of similarities between the reaction of fans durong Sean's rookie year and Chase's. Were you on here back then? 

No I was a very infrequent posters here at that time. I was posting on other Redskins boards and the reaction to Sean Taylor there was mostly all positive.  I had an issue with his attitude early (walking out of the rookie thing set up by the league, not returning Joe Gibbs' phone calls) but I never had a problem with his play.  

• Like 1

I think the early issue with Sean Taylor was the perception of his character, he had that edge to him that was difficult to see through at first. Many also wanted Winslow, who thankfully had the Poston brothers as agents which put Gibbs off him. Didn’t fancy a contract battle.

I don’t see a direct correlation with Young. It’s all about expectations on first rounder. We have the same debate on Jon Allen, Payne to a lesser degree this year. There are other examples.

Young probably received more pre draft hype than anyone we have drafted. Maybe ever.

Taylor and Young don’t have many similarities beyond talent. Young is a guy that came out hyped in a position that has had a ton of hype. Taylor was an ahead of his time safety who fed on punters who thought they were running backs, receivers who crossed the middle (anyone remember a certain Philly WR that alligator armed passes because he was terrified) and people stayed the hell away from.

He was way ahead of his time at a position that had elite players but not a lot of in between guys.

Taylor had a pretty similar rookie year to Young's. He showed flashes, like running step for step with Randy Moss and scaring the bejesus out of TO, but also had some flaws like biting on double moves(remember Patrick Crayton in Dallas?). But by year 2 he kinda had it figured out and was a pretty dynamic presence.

I guess it's a coincidence that once we get Chase Young on the other side Montez Sweat - who many said was meh last year - is now feasting. Dude is straight out balling. At least some part of that is becasue teams have to pay so much attention to Chase Young. 

Did people see him launch across the back of the line to stop that 4th and 1 at the goal? The problem for many of you is that you are not understanding Chase is playing within the defense. He is not going rogue to look better but ultimately give up plays.

People really need to GTFO with the Chase is not delivering stuff. Chase Young delivering exactly what a 2nd pick 1st yr player should. Dude is a beast and he is making the entire defense better. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I was one of those who were hard on him a few weeks ago. The Lions game made a lot of us sick as ****. Tonight is what I've been expecting from him. Freaking great game! 

Also want to give Kyle Smith credit for sticking with the Sweat pick. He didn't let Snyder's dumb*** selection change his draft strategy. Sweat has played like a top 5 end!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Redd said:

Chase Young was providing a lot of pressure tonight.  The Defense is feasting with Chase Young out there.

Also defense looks a lot better without Collins out there. 

Man...haven't missed Collins one bit.

In fairness though, he went down early and the defense has had some more time to gel and work with Del Rio.  Hard to judge Collins and where he'd fit right now if healthy.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2020 at 8:00 PM, PartyPosse said:

How can you be unsure of him and also glad he's on the team?

Because I think he has a lot of potential.  He has shown flashes but hasn't been dominant like everyone expected.  Not that difficult to understand really.  Loved his game today and what I was expecting from the get-go.  Really glad to see him come up big.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Man...haven't missed Collins one bit.

In fairness though, he went down early and the defense has had some more time to gel and work with Del Rio.  Hard to judge Collins and where he'd fit right now if healthy.

Run defense took a big step back for a few weeks after Collins went down.  Stabilized now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, owa said:

Because I think he has a lot of potential.  He has shown flashes but hasn't been dominant like everyone expected.  Not that difficult to understand really.  Loved his game today and what I was expecting from the get-go.  Really glad to see him come up big.

Not everyone expected him to be dominant.

• Like 2

I really wish I could help other fans identify how many plays Young makes throughout the game. The stuff he does is not normal for a DE, much less a rookie DE. I know most will only understand the sack total though. Dude is a beast.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, owa said:

Okay, so your pet rabbit didn't expect it.  Anyone else?

I actually didn’t expect it. On record saying it was a poor expectation since before he was drafted. 

It’s not Young’s fault that you bought into ridiculously copious amounts of hype.

He’s been fantastic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Chase got injured before he could get comfortable. Anyone who’s ever had a groin injury knows how limiting they are. You can’t run. 

Took him a few games to get healthy after he returned to the lineup. Now he’s healthy and comfortable. Look out.

Also want to add that I like the way he handles his business. I feel that way about most/all of our guys. Kudos to the character scouting department.

• Like 5

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Chase got injured before he could get comfortable. Anyone who’s ever had a groin injury knows how limiting they are. You can’t run. 

Took him a few games to get healthy after he returned to the lineup. Now he’s healthy and comfortable. Look out.

Also want to add that I like the way he handles his business. I feel that way about most/all of our guys. Kudos to the character scouting department.

I don’t think he’s healthy. Those groin injuries don’t heal that quickly. They linger until you can truly rest them.

So, what I’m saying... is I think he’s still playing hurt. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So, what I’m saying... is I think he’s still playing hurt. 

You could certainly be right. He just seems to be moving much better the last couple weeks. Would be nice to think he still has another gear to get back.

Excited to see what he and the front can do when we get a true ring leader at MLB.

• Like 1