Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

According to Grant Paulsen's Twitter:

Chase Young got pressure on 8 of his first 63 pass rushes. He's gotten pressure 10 times on his last 139.

Teams obviously decided he was not going to beat them. But I also wonder how much his groin injury is still a factor? It may not be. Spit-balling here.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Chase Young got pressure on 8 of his first 63 pass rushes. He's gotten pressure 10 times on his last 139.

Teams obviously decided he was not going to beat them. But I also wonder how much his groin injury is still a factor? It may not be. Spit-balling here.

Frankly I'm surprised he's as effective as he is with a groin injury. I had one once and you can get stuff accomplished but it's brutal. Mentally it takes a toll, too. And it doesn't heal... unless you stop doing stuff for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Frankly I'm surprised he's as effective as he is with a groin injury. I had one once and you can get stuff accomplished but it's brutal. Mentally it takes a toll, too. And it doesn't heal... unless you stop doing stuff for a few weeks. 

I mentioned this somewhere at the time he got the injury.  Doc Walker back when he heard about the groin injury said its one of the worst injuries for a pass rusher to get because it limits your (twitchiness) explosiveness.  He didn't say he had that injury but he seemed to be talking about having first hand experience with an injury like that. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Or triple teams...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I've heard so many excuses for the lack of production of Washington draft picks the past 30 years I just can't anymore. We just went through this same thing with Haskins. His pressures are barely more than a 4th round draft pick and he's barely top 90 in the league. If that's what you expect out of the #2 pick in the draft who's supposed to be an absolute game changer and dominate the line of scrimmage, than I don't know what to tell you. 

You are entitled to your opinion. I see a difference between development and lack of production. I also realize that the evidence of development is useless if you don't know what you're looking at. Some fans choose the cynical experience and that's cool.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

the fact Chase is drawing so much attention as a rookie and the rest of the DL isn't taking advantage of 1 on 1 matchups is sad and really makes me question how good Payne/Allen/Sweat are

Sweat was PFFs highest graded edge rusher in the NFL last sunday. He is having a pretty strong season. 

3 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

the fact Chase is drawing so much attention as a rookie and the rest of the DL isn't taking advantage of 1 on 1 matchups is sad and really makes me question how good Payne/Allen/Sweat are

It’s the freakin linebackers...

Linebackers.

Linebackers.

Why does this have to keep being said?

Its the NFL. Defensive linemen don’t win every down. They lose more than they win. It’s the way the league and football work for the most part. 

The linebackers prevent the defensive line from being as effective as they could be.

It doesn’t help that our defensive line is not built with aggressive guys, but rather gap closers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s the freakin linebackers...

Linebackers.

Linebackers.

Why does this have to keep being said?

Its the NFL. Defensive linemen don’t win every down. They lose more than they win. It’s the way the league and football work for the most part. 

The linebackers prevent the defensive line from being as effective as they could be.

It doesn’t help that our defensive line is not built with aggressive guys, but rather gap closers.

Yeah but I need Mack, Watt, Donald, and Bosa to be happy 😎

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Yeah this is my issue too. I don't think the problem is Young, actually Sweat has been good too, but the interior rush is non existent without Ion.

I'd play Settle more on pass downs. Allen and Payne are not really pass rushers at all. And on obvious pass downs we should use Young, Sweat, AND Kerrigan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IrepDC said:

You are entitled to your opinion. I see a difference between development and lack of production. I also realize that the evidence of development is useless if you don't know what you're looking at. Some fans choose the cynical experience and that's cool.

I mean, it's pretty subjective to say someone who isn't producing is actually really good. All I'm hearing is teams have game plans that shut him down. And that's a good thing? Haha. Not being cynical at all, just realistic.

• Like 1

Young will probably be fine, I was quick to judge after these last few games. The only thing I don’t get is how long people are going to ride the “he gets double and triple teamed” but eventually doesn’t he need to make plays regardless? Or are we actually happy with him just drawing a lot of attention and doing nothing else really. I’m just going to be patient 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Young will probably be fine, I was quick to judge after these last few games. The only thing I don’t get is how long people are going to ride the “he gets double and triple teamed” but eventually doesn’t he need to make plays regardless? Or are we actually happy with him just drawing a lot of attention and doing nothing else really. I’m just going to be patient 

I'm in the same boat, except my expectations have gone to just praying he has a career as good as Kerrigans. I just don't see it watching the games, sometimes I forget he even played because you rarely hear his name or see him make plays. So questioning the lack of productions seems like a normal thing yet these guys seem to be arguing that other teams have successful game plans that shut him down. Oh well, maybe he turns out to be the generational can't pass up #2 pick that we were sold. I have my doubts. 

My question is why didn't we build the linebacker core instead of the d-line. I knew linebackers are important. But now with how terrible our defense is, I'm starting to think they are far more important that the d-line. It's like how a good qb can make a bad o-line looks decent. Our defense sucks, no one can deny that. But Kyle and Bruce make a mistake? Honest question. 

3 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I'm in the same boat, except my expectations have gone to just praying he has a career as good as Kerrigans. I just don't see it watching the games, sometimes I forget he even played because you rarely hear his name or see him make plays. So questioning the lack of productions seems like a normal thing yet these guys seem to be arguing that other teams have successful game plans that shut him down. Oh well, maybe he turns out to be the generational can't pass up #2 pick that we were sold. I have my doubts. 

I still say he gets to 10 sacks. He pops on the screen, but I think we all would like to see more pass rush production. Not gonna lie, thought a 2 or 3 sack game was going to happen the last few weeks. 

Him having similar impact of Kerrigan would be  disappointment. He’s already dramatically better against the run than Kerrigan has ever been. 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

I still say he gets to 10 sacks. He pops on the screen, but I think we all would like to see more pass rush production. Not gonna lie, thought a 2 or 3 sack game was going to happen the last few weeks. 

Him having similar impact of Kerrigan would be  disappointment. He’s already dramatically better against the run than Kerrigan has ever been. 

Kerrigan wasn't a dude who was double teamed like crazy, Cooley would say from time to time they'd even leave just a TE to block him.   At a minimum, opposing offensive coordinators are game planning for Chase in ways i'd guess they rarely did for Kerrigan. 

• Like 2

I had a groin hernia repaired last week.  Been lugging that thing around for a couple of years.  It's a different beast than a groin strain but that area -- try getting out of bed without using your lower abdominal/groin muscles.  It can be done, if you have cables attached to the ceiling to pull yourself up by.  I'm cutting him some slack.  Additionally, if we bash the snot out of the #2 overall pick, whom almost everyone here was itching to draft, because of his still-good play despite injury and a LB corps that might as well be me and a couple of friends of mine, who's going to want to come here in FA?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Why the hell was Payne all the way out to the left like that? 

It's pretty sad the Chase is triple teamed and there's another guy in the middle looking for someone to block. That's essentially 4 guys and Chase which means where the hell is any sort of pressure up the middle?? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, max21 said:

no when you're double or triple teamed others need to make plays

• Like 2

My problem isn't with Chase Young it is with our decision making. Chase is good, will be very good.

My argument for drafting Tua was obvious, great QB spec is way better than a Great DE spec. Tua was set to go number 1 before Burrow and his injury. Once Doctors said he was fine, I thought we had to take him. Dude is right on his way to playing like Wilson and Murray.

Let's assume we all believe Lawrence Taylor is the best DE to ever play, and let us pretend the following players are all 22 (knowing how their careers played out). LT, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers

LT is going last in that group, because QBs change franchises. That was my logic, nothing again Young. The only thing that bothered me about Young's fans were the "Once in a generation" BS.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

But this is concerning the run defense, right?

What about the lack of pass rush from the line?

It's all symbiotic. 

If the linebackers can't cover the hook and curl zones, QBs can get the ball out quicker.

Our linebackers aren't great in coverage or run stopping. It's a problem. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2