Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah one thing I'll say is his football IQ is tremendous. I haven't seen a Washington defender ever sniff out screens like he does. Its a big step up considering for years now I've always felt we've had absolute morons on our D.

the Burrow fumble.  He was mid spin move and changed direction, sprinting to the ball.. he sensed Apke coming and hesitated because he knew Burrow was coming back inside.  His instincts are scary.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

See that's the thing, I have seen nobody call Chase Young a bust but posters are reacting as if they did.  Many of us have simply said we expected more impact plays by this point in the season or in my case pointing out the claim that he is constantly being double teamed is simply not true.  

Come on. So many are calling him a bust. Just because they’re not using the b word doesn’t mean that’s not the very clear insinuation.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

All those guys had much better rookie seasons than Chase though so far. What concerns me is his 4 QB hits. All these guys were pushing 20. Myles Garrett also only played in 11 games. 

I am concerned with his pass-rush abilities. Honestly, where did his elite first step go?

This is my concern as well. His sacks he might get to 6-7 which is fine but his other production numbers in the back field are terrible. Nick Bosa pretty much had double the production in most backfield production numbers. And some stats like QB hits, had 14 through his first 8 games. I was just hoping for one of those special rookie seasons. But here we are comparing him to other d ends who struggle their rookie years. Reminds me of the Haskins thread. Oh well. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Come on. So many are calling him a bust. Just because they’re not using the b word doesn’t mean that’s not the very clear insinuation.

That is your (poor) interpretation. What I have seen is clearly "thought we'd see more by now" than people claiming he was a bust which didn't happen.  

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That is your (poor) interpretation. What I have seen is clearly "thought we'd see more by now" than people claiming he was a bust which didn't happen.  

Aw, don't make me waste an hour going back to prove you wrong. Just PLEASE take my word on this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

... Early in the season he got flagged for a few off sides and he is hesitating, he is not the first one off the ball as he was in college.   So yeah that first step has been missing all year. I have supreme confidence it will return as he gets used to the NFL game. 

Sweat was like that last season, especially in the first10-12 games.  He played more instictually late in the season.  Look for the same from Chase in the last few games of the season (championship & SB)....

Edited by ILikeBilly
  • Like 1

You absolutely want an elite QB over an elite DE but without that comparison, overall I am very happy with Chase. His numbers aren’t what I expected (was hoping for more sacks) but, I am not mad at the pick at all.

Edited by dyst

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

to be fair, I read it the exact same way as @PartyPosse does and I responded a few pages back with that sentiment.  

Well I'm certainly not going to read 161 pages to confirm @PartyPosse's claim. I'll simply state the posts I have seen are more in line with "I was expecting more impact plays". Tell the truth, didn't you after 10 games?

As I continue to post I am not worried about Chase Young being a good to great player some day. But I just thought I'd see more explosive plays.  But several plays on Sunday showed what a good football player his is already, just not a game changer. Yet. 

I also agree with the comment that Sweat was also hesitant in his rookie season, I look for this to change for Chase as well moving forward.  

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

going to read 161 pages to confirm @PartyPosse's claim. I'll simply state the posts I have seen are more in line with "I was expecting more impact plays". Tell the truth, didn't you after 10 games

There’s a difference between hoping and expecting. I was hoping for 20 sacks and 59 tfl but I was expecting a rookie learning the ropes in his first year no matter how talented.

Its like that scene in Matrix where Morpheus tries to get Neo to jump between the buildings. He doesn’t do it right away and everyone is disappointed because he was supposed to be the one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well I'm certainly not going to read 161 pages to confirm @PartyPosse's claim. I'll simply state the posts I have seen are more in line with "I was expecting more impact plays". Tell the truth, didn't you after 10 games?

As I continue to post I am not worried about Chase Young being a good to great player some day. But I just thought I'd see more explosive plays.  But several plays on Sunday showed what a good football player his is already, just not a game changer. Yet. 

I also agree with the comment that Sweat was also hesitant in his rookie season, I look for this to change for Chase as well moving forward.  

To be completely honest, no, I did not think I would see more 'explosive plays' because I was one of the posters that want us to harness the expectations pre-draft.  I never wanted to compare him to the next LT or Von Miller.  You do that and you find yourself in the situation we're in now.... people wanting a player taken in 2020 to put up statistics on the same plane as people who are no longer playing the game.   Jonathan Allen was on the radio with the junkies this morning and he basically said that anyone who look at the stats doesn't have a clue what is actually going on.  He said "what if Chase wins his matchup every play but there is no push up the middle?  The QB can step up and Chase doesn't get a stat"  

My expectations of Chase Young was a potentially elite talent walking into one of the worst defenses into the league.  Add to that the fact that it's a brand new system, zilch for an offseason, and a rookie who has never taken an NFL snap in his life.  No preseason, no camps, none of the stuff that any other EDGE guy gets going into their first season.  Add to that a player that sustained a core groin injury that it's now being reported will not be right until the offeseason.... at this point it's a pain threshold.. Have you ever tried to be explosive with a groin injury?  He's still the highest rated rookie D-lineman in the NFL according to PFF. 

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

To be completely honest, no, I did not think I would see more 'explosive plays' because I was one of the posters that want us to harness the expectations pre-draft.  I never wanted to compare him to the next LT or Von Miller.  You do that and you find yourself in the situation we're in now.... people wanting a player taken in 2020 to put up statistics on the same plane as people who are no longer playing the game.   Jonathan Allen was on the radio with the junkies this morning and he basically said that anyone who look at the stats doesn't have a clue what is actually going on.  He said "what if Chase wins his matchup every play but there is no push up the middle?  The QB can step up and Chase doesn't get a stat"  

My expectations of Chase Young was a potentially elite talent walking into one of the worst defenses into the league.  Add to that the fact that it's a brand new system, zilch for an offseason, and a rookie who has never taken an NFL snap in his life.  No preseason, no camps, none of the stuff that any other EDGE guy gets going into their first season.  Add to that a player that sustained a core groin injury that it's now being reported will not be right until the offeseason.... at this point it's a pain threshold.. Have you ever tried to be explosive with a groin injury?  He's still the highest rated rookie D-lineman in the NFL according to PFF. 

Yeah I had a groin tear from softball, it sucked. But I don't want to hear about Chase's groin injury, every NFL player has injuries. All the good ones face double teams. It sound like there are a lot of what sounds like excuses to some extent to me. 

As for walking into a bad situation all I heard all offseason was how good the Dline was, that had to help Chase.  While 20 sacks for a rookie is unrealistic I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to have expected more impact plays at this point in the season, that's all I'm saying.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I had a groin tear from softball, it sucked. But I don't want to hear about Chase's groin injury, every NFL player has injuries. All the good ones face double teams. It sound like there are a lot of what sounds like excuses to some extent to me. 

As for walking into a bad situation all I heard all offseason was how good the Dline was, that had to help Chase.  While 20 sacks for a rookie is unrealistic I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to have expected more impact plays at this point in the season, that's all I'm saying.  

And i dont think it's unfair for other fans to disagree with those expectations.. to evaluate a player upon their own opinion... 

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

And i dont think it's unfair for other fans to disagree with those expectations.. to evaluate a player upon their own opinion... 

Agreed. That's what places like this is for. And for the record I'll state again I have zero concern that he will meet expectations at some point.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Agreed. That's what places like this is for. And for the record I'll state again I have zero concern that he will meet expectations at some point.

I will say that a lot of the conversation is predicated on opinion, but there are subjects that can be rebutted based on fact.. like claims that Young is getting beat 1 on 1 the vast majority of the time, and that simply is not true.. because we don't know the playcall, the gap run responsibility, or any number of factors that could be beat by a single blocker.. a lot of this side of the conversation, as one of the posters pointed out with screen grabs in the game vs Detroit, is just making a case contradicting claims that we feel are just incorrect. 

I don’t think Young has played his best ball yet at all, still expected a bit more against potentially the worst Oline in pro football. He could shut a lot of people up on Thanksgiving tho, I am hoping he builds off his last game. 

46 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

There’s a difference between hoping and expecting. I was hoping for 20 sacks and 59 tfl but I was expecting a rookie learning the ropes in his first year no matter how talented.

Its like that scene in Matrix where Morpheus tries to get Neo to jump between the buildings. He doesn’t do it right away and everyone is disappointed because he was supposed to be the one.

I will not walk back in wanting and borderline expecting a Randy Moss rookie year production from the DE spot— plenty of time remains for him to spearhead a playoff run. I still believe some huge games are to come in this season and makes sense him sharing he feels healthy again. 

34 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As average as the defense has been, it’s made major strides in year 1 of Rivera and Del Rio. This idea the unit has underperformed is interesting. What were your expectations coming in?

When you say impact plays, what does that mean and what’s the number that would allow you to anoint him as having an impactful rookie season?

Not coming at you contentiously, as I’m guilty of being subjective with most things. Not accusing you to be subjective, maybe you have some concrete information and data you go off of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I will not walk back in wanting and borderline expecting a Randy Moss rookie year production from the DE spot— plenty of time remains for him to spearhead a playoff run. I still believe some huge games are to come in this season and makes sense him sharing he feels healthy again. 

Nothing wrong with that and if it happens it happens. But if it doesn’t, I hope you won’t let it define how you feel about him  now and in the future.

• Like 1