Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Arizona wasn’t a great landing spot for Simmons. As much as I love the dude, he has a specific set of skills that need to be properly paired with a scheme. He needs to be a guy that the scheme focuses on... he can’t be the fourth fiddle guy. He’s a playmaker that wants to be near the ball. 

To be fair, I don’t think Washington would have worked well for him either at this point. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Arizona wasn’t a great landing spot for Simmons. As much as I love the dude, he has a specific set of skills that need to be properly paired with a scheme. He needs to be a guy that the scheme focuses on... he can’t be the fourth fiddle guy. He’s a playmaker that wants to be near the ball. 

To be fair, I don’t think Washington would have worked well for him either at this point. 

I agree. It's a shame that he winded up there. He was definitely a favorite for both of us. I want to see what he can do, but that defense is flat. 

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, but the other side of that coin are the Cleveland Browns, the poster child of "Lose to win in the draft" method of building a team. How has going 1-31 worked out for them so far?

Agreed, but the biggest problem with Cleveland is that the in '18 when they had the #1 and #4 picks, they screwed up.  They could, and should have drafted Saquon #1 and then whichever QB (Darnold or Josh Allen) fell to them at 4.  Instead they drafted Baker (red flags that could be seen a mile away) and Denzel Ward.  Think they'd like to have a re-do on that one?   Not to mention the ridiculous hiring and subsequent one-year later firing of Freddie Kitchens (he actually made Jay Gruden look somewhat competent).

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually feel sorry for college players like that.  The odds of their success in the NFL is slim, cause no one is really capable of doing in the NFL.  It's easier for the other side to scheme to avoid them

There's a limit to how much you can scheme a Swiss army knife like Simmons if he can't do some of the Swiss army knife roles.

He was getting toasted in coverage by RB's and TE's.  That was a welcome to the NFL game for him.  Maybe it was nerves and adrenaline causing him to take bad angles, and bad leverage/hips.

It's just 1 game.  He's a rookie that's going to need time to adjust.  If 10 games from now he's still struggling...

Cause otherwise he just profiles as a Blitzer that can play the Robber zone.  That's not exactly Top 10 draft worthy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, but the other side of that coin are the Cleveland Browns, the poster child of "Lose to win in the draft" method of building a team. How has going 1-31 worked out for them so far?

It’s different to do that every year. A situation where you know a talent like Young is there, and coming down the stretch in a lost season with a fill-in HC knowing you only need a few losses to fall correctly, that’s rooting with a purpose. Not just generally wanting high draft picks. Imo there’s a difference.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It’s different to do that every year. A situation where you know a talent like Young is there, and coming down the stretch in a lost season with a fill-in HC knowing you only need a few losses to fall correctly, that’s rooting with a purpose. Not just generally wanting high draft picks. Imo there’s a difference.

Exactly, Colts were good forever, have one bad year and get Luck. Steelers have one bad year, Rothlesberger.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly, Colts were good forever, have one bad year and get Luck. Steelers have one bad year, Rothlesberger.

Plus, we had the added purpose of feeling like we were one season-long cataclysm away from ousting Bruce Allen and enacting some real necessary change. Some called it a long shot, but we were right. That’s not the same as wanting a 76ers or Browns-like forever rebuild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Plus, we had the added purpose of feeling like we were one season-long cataclysm away from ousting Bruce Allen and enacting some real necessary change. Some called it a long shot, but we were right. That’s not the same as wanting a 76ers or Browns-like forever rebuild.

Had to dig on my 76ers, huh? Ouch.

Last year was the first time I've ever rooted for the team to lose. Ever. I enjoyed the hell out of the season, because it just felt like it was finally done, ya know. It was the end of the garbage team era, so I wanted to throw as many tires on the fire as possible and we landed possibly the next Bruce Smith out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep some teams by luck time a bad season perfectly.  We land a top 2 pick in 2013 but traded it away albeit it wasn't a great draft.  Had a top 5 pick in the 2015 draft but it wasn't that good of a draft.  Other examples of that.

Clinton Portis once said about a year ago so when asked why this team just can't get over the hump -- he said part of it is that even when we are bad, we don't end up with the #1 pick, or #2, etc.  Even when we are bad we miss out on elite talent.

This year that changed.  Chase Young is the type of dude that this franchise typically doesn't land.  We are either bad but not quite bad enough to land them or end up bad leading to the wrong draft.  

Guys like Jonathan Allen are good players, maybe even very good.  But they aren't (at least thus far) pro bowl, elite players, that other team would kill for.   Chase Young is that kind of talent.  And its rare for this franchise. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Agreed, but the biggest problem with Cleveland is that the in '18 when they had the #1 and #4 picks, they screwed up.  They could, and should have drafted Saquon #1 and then whichever QB (Darnold or Josh Allen) fell to them at 4.  Instead they drafted Baker (red flags that could be seen a mile away) and Denzel Ward.  Think they'd like to have a re-do on that one?   Not to mention the ridiculous hiring and subsequent one-year later firing of Freddie Kitchens (he actually made Jay Gruden look somewhat competent).

I can kinda see where you're coming from but 

1) Mayfield looked far and away the best of the rookie QBs in 2018 (though I do agree with you about possible character red flags)

2) Denzel Ward was a Pro Bowler his rookie year

3) I think coaching had a lot to do with how they fizzled after that

4) Let's not pretend like Darnold or Allen are world beaters

5) Barkley would have been nice to have but without a QB or competent coaching staff would he make enough of a difference? 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There's a limit to how much you can scheme a Swiss army knife like Simmons if he can't do some of the Swiss army knife roles.

He was getting toasted in coverage by RB's and TE's.  That was a welcome to the NFL game for him.  Maybe it was nerves and adrenaline causing him to take bad angles, and bad leverage/hips.

It's just 1 game.  He's a rookie that's going to need time to adjust.  If 10 games from now he's still struggling...

Cause otherwise he just profiles as a Blitzer that can play the Robber zone.  That's not exactly Top 10 draft worthy.

Yeah I definitely like Simmons pre-draft but I was worried that if we took him we wouldn't use him correctly (or that another team who took him wouldn't use him correctly).

That being said, you're right. If you put a guy in a position to make a play and he completely flubs it (getting caught flat footed and being torched, taking poor angles, etc) at some point that's on him, not the coaches putting him in the wrong position. I still like him so I hope it was mostly just nerves and it was a result of his first time playing in the NFL, but it was pretty ugly. 

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I definitely like Simmons pre-draft but I was worried that if we took him we wouldn't use him correctly (or that another team who took him wouldn't use him correctly).

That being said, you're right. If you put a guy in a position to make a play and he completely flubs it (getting caught flat footed and being torched, taking poor angles, etc) at some point that's on him, not the coaches putting him in the wrong position. I still like him so I hope it was mostly just nerves and it was a result of his first time playing in the NFL, but it was pretty ugly. 

I liked Simmons a lot predraft but for me it was Chase Young by a mile.  Simmons is a physical freak, Derwin James type.  I think he's a better athlete than James, better in coverage.  But James is a dog.  I didn't always get that impression about Simmons.   Chase likewise is a dog.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Definitely agree with that. Just don't agree with rooting for losses from day one. There's a point where a winning record is more or less out the window so being fine with losses for (like you said) that one specific player is more than reasonable.

I will say, though, that if we still had Gruden, Manusky, and Bruce here and only had Kerrigan, Ioannidis, and Settle, a very real part of me would feel as if Chase Young's talent would be wasted on this team and it may have been better to trade down. Having FIVE genuine talents along the DLine (along with coaches who abso-****ing-lutely know defense) has and will help maximize having Young on the team...and none of those 5 DLinemen were acquired through losing a bunch of games...we didn't have to root for losses to get them. But there's no denying that losing 13 games brought us Young, jettisoned our coaches and incompetent GM, and brought the team a legitimate HC and DC (I don't enough about the rest of the coaching staff to say anything lol).

Edited by Califan007

Rewatching the game. There’s a sequence where Chase just dominates and disrupts the entire Eagles drive:

Start of second quarter.

Eagles 1st and 10 on their 37 yard line. Chase, who is playing on the right side for the first time, defeats a double team and solo tackles the rb for a two yard gain.

Eagles  2nd and 8 on their 39 yard line. QB drops back to pass. Chase blows by Peters and has a free run to the QB but he sees the rb is free coming out of the backfield. Chase covers him like he’s Monte Coleman in his prime taking away any possibility of a pass. Meanwhile Montez Sweat engulfs Wentz for a sack. Hockey assist for Chase.

Eagles 3rd and 20 on their 27 yard line. QB drops back to pass. Chase rushes hard but at the last moment senses something. Quick pass to rb on his side. Chase does a 180 accelerates like no man on earth his size should be able to and solo tackles the running back for a small gain.

Punt.

And this was just the kids 1st game.

Wow!

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 8

Love the wrinkle of letting him get in the flat to cover a back, but making sure to come with a blitz up the middle to get the most out of a play when asking him not to pass rush. That’s a sweet blitz, what is the RT suppose to do and at times he may get doubled or chipped, occupying two people while able to contain the outlet pass to the back. Fun stuff. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Love the wrinkle of letting him get in the flat to cover a back, but making sure to come with a blitz up the middle to get the most out of a play when asking him not to pass rush. That’s a sweet blitz, what is the RT suppose to do and at times he may get doubled or chipped, occupying two people while able to contain the outlet pass to the back. Fun stuff. 

They had him in coverage at least a couple of times, and it actually worked out. Imagine. A decent DC.

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

They had him in coverage at least a couple of times, and it actually worked out. Imagine. A decent DC.

Right. Most of the fan base was on the extreme and with dropping pass rushers in coverage, but it’s a great move with the right personnel, situation, and play call. I like the call because he occupied the RT while covering the RB and that was leveraged by the call with a blitz up the middle. Sprinkling it in is a great move. Sweat can as well. Sweat in the 3-4 and covering may help in the future when wanting to do some exotic stuff that’s asks him to be in coverage. 

11 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The difference is del Rio will have a defensive end slide out to cover the back and get rid of the quarterbacks hot route while disguising a linebacker blitz.

Thats smart.

Manusky probably would have sent one of the defensive ends rushing down the sidelines trying to catch up to DeSean Jackson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Even though he didn’t have a sack, Bosa was in the Cardinals’ backfield all day. I’m not expecting Young to win as often or as cleanly as Bosa does in the video below, as Bosa is more technically proficient than most 10-year vets, but I do expect Chase’s athleticism to do what Bosa couldn’t and take Kyler to the ground if he does get near him.