Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

6 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Wasn’t here at the time but no shame in that stance. Both positions are infinitely defensible.

Playing to win has a purity that cleanses the soul. It aims for a Platonic ideal. It is the honorable stance of true believers.

Playing to get a higher draft pick is for those, like myself, who have been both corrupted and sophisticated by the dark paradox of life. A place where stone cold realists reign.

I agree with this 100%.  It was especially tough to convince my son (budding Skins fan, was 13 at the time, that's him with me in my profile pic) that we should actually be rooting for the Skins to LOSE those last three games last season (all three division games to boot).   It took him about 1 1/2 quarters of watching Chase Young on Sunday to realize what those of us wanting that #2 draft pick knew all along!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Wasn’t here at the time but no shame in that stance. Both positions are infinitely defensible.

Playing to win has a purity that cleanses the soul. It aims for a Platonic ideal. It is the honorable stance of true believers.

Playing to get a higher draft pick is for those, like myself, who have been both corrupted and sophisticated by the dark paradox of life. A place where stone cold realists reign.

Rrrrrriiiiiggghhttt...lol..we root together!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Notice who placed 2nd. 

Moses was awesome that game. He played with a nastiness I don't think I've ever seen from him. 

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And Fabian Moreau.

Fabian Moreau scored an 86.0. One of the highest grades in the league for a CB. 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/fabian-moreau/11836

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Unless they agree with my assessment of a player!! But, they are dead on about Martin and Christian. Those aren't tough evaluations. 

I don't think they do a good job of evaluating defensive or run game performance at all.  And they won't release their system for how they come up with their grades.

I don't see much of a use for their grades any more.  They don't predict or evaluate team performance at all.  They don't do a good job of isolating and contextualizing individual contribution either.  Do they really offer us significantly more accurate insight than counting stats do for any position other than OL?  And since I don't trust their run blocking grading, are they really doing much more than providing a service to tally an unofficial (and fairly subjective and decontextualized) pressures / block wins counting stat for OLs and DLs?

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's how the top 10 picks performed Week 1 according to PFF:

PICK NO. 1: QB JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2020 overall grade: 61.6

It was far from a perfect outing from Joe Burrow, who threw one of the worst interceptions of the week, flicking the ball casually to a defensive lineman. However, it’s tough to ignore the poise he showed when the chips were down late in the game in executing the two-minute drill on his way to what should have been to be his first fourth-quarter comeback.

PICK NO. 2: EDGE CHASE YOUNG, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

2020 overall grade: 86.5

Chase Young was billed by PFF as the best edge-rushing talent to enter the league since we started grading college football (2014), which features NFL stars such as the Bosa brothers and Myles Garrett. His debut didn’t disappoint, with Young posting four total pressures and two sacks. What is perhaps most impressive is that the damage wasn’t coming against a makeshift right side of the Eagles' offensive line, but against one of the best left tackles of his generation in Jason Peters. While Peters is 38 years old and was practicing at guard for most of the offseason, the fact that he had that much trouble with Young is a great sign for the rookie.

PICK NO. 3: CB JEFFREY OKUDAH, DETROIT LIONS

2020 overall grade: n/A

Did not play due to a hamstring injury.

PICK NO. 4: OT ANDREW THOMAS, NEW YORK GIANTS

2020 overall grade: 60.8

First-rounder Andrew Thomas played every snap at left tackle in Week 1. And though he surrendered some pressure, he wasn’t the primary source of the team's protection problems. Thomas allowed four total pressures within a unit that was overmatched by Pittsburgh’s defensive front and blitz packages. His work in the run game was better, but the Giants as a whole were dominated in that regard, so it would be difficult to tell without focusing on him individually.

PICK NO. 5: QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS

2020 overall grade: N/A

Tua Tagovailoa is healthy, but he has yet to win the starting job from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

PICK NO. 6: QB JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

2020 overall grade: N/A

Justin Herbert has yet to win the starting job from Tyrod Taylor.

PICK NO. 7: DI DERRICK BROWN, CAROLINA PANTHERS

2020 overall grade: 32.7

The one thing we were all sure about with Derrick Brown was that he would be a high-level force against the run in the NFL — the debate was whether he could generate pressure. However, he struggled in the former facet, earning a 28.5 grade against the run. The biggest impact he made was batting down two passes at the line, but this was not an opening to look back on with any fondness for the seventh overall pick in the draft. Brown recorded one hurry from 21 snaps rushing the passer and had a missed tackle to go along with his struggles in the run game.

PICK NO. 8: LB ISAIAH SIMMONS, ARIZONA CARDINALS

2020 overall grade: 27.1

Isaiah Simmons wasn’t an every-down starter for the Cardinals in Week 1, which might have been a good thing. On the snaps he did play, he may as well have worn a giant bullseye such due to the regularity and accuracy with which Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers' passing attack looked to exploit him.

Simmons was out of position on Raheem Mostert’s catch-and-run touchdown, but he was also beaten by Jerrick McKinnon and George Kittle for catches. Simmons’ main selling point as a prospect was being a matchup weapon on defense — a player who could neutralize these types of threats — but his debut suggests he is far from ready to hold up to that yet.

PICK NO. 9: CB C.J. HENDERSON, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

2020 overall grade: 84.2

One of the stars of Week 1, C.J. Henderson had himself a day against Philip Rivers and the Indianapolis Colts. It could easily be argued he was the difference between the two sides in one of the biggest upsets of the week. The Colts went after Henderson, making his performance all the more remarkable — 10 targets went his way. Only five of those passes were caught by Colts receivers (for 58 yards), while Henderson himself caught one and broke up another three. Overall, Rivers had a 28.3 passer rating when throwing the ball at Henderson, which is worse than if he had just thrown it into the ground on every play instead.

PICK NO. 10: OT JEDRICK WILLS, CLEVELAND BROWNS

2020 overall grade: 63.2

Jedrick Wills started his rookie season as the Browns' left tackle, tasked with upgrading a problem spot from a season ago. Unfortunately for him, the Baltimore Ravens are one of the tougher teams in the league when it comes to defending their pressure packages. Wills surrendered three total pressures — a sack, a hit and a hurry — across 40 pass-blocking snaps and was flagged for holding. Wills didn’t fare much better as a run blocker, but with the game out of hand early, the Browns didn’t run much to get him in his groove in that regard.

• Thanks 3
6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you happen to know what our DAVE was before that game?  I want to see how much that performance changed our outlook for the year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/2020-dvoa-projections

Overall: -19.1% for 32nd in the league by a mile.  Next closest was -14.9%

Offense: -18.9% for 32nd

Defense: 1% for 23rd

ST: 0.8% for 10th

So their DAVE rating is still 93% projection and only 7% what happened in Week 1.  But from just that 7%, we jumped from -19.1% overall to -15.3%.  That's huge.

DAVE rating for specifically defense went from 1% to -3.9% or 8th in the league.

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

It's nice to see us on top, can someone tell me what it means though?

It's an objective stat that's purely based on what happens for each play vs what is the league average for that same play.

So 3rd and 10, league average doesn't convert, but you do, so that's above expectation.  They also adjust the positive/negative outcomes of each play for strength of opposition.  So converting that 3rd and 10 against the Steelers is weighted higher than doing that against the Giants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
11 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I agree with this 100%.  It was especially tough to convince my son (budding Skins fan, was 13 at the time, that's him with me in my profile pic) that we should actually be rooting for the Skins to LOSE those last three games last season (all three division games to boot).   It took him about 1 1/2 quarters of watching Chase Young on Sunday to realize what those of us wanting that #2 draft pick knew all along!

Yeah, but the other side of that coin are the Cleveland Browns, the poster child of "Lose to win in the draft" method of building a team. How has going 1-31 worked out for them so far?