Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

I know nothing about this Dan Morgan character other than that he fits ALL the criteria I have always had for a potential GM pick, in my wildest dreams when I would imagine a future where Dan allowed a "real" GM pick who wasn't just a nepotism hire.

Naturally fans have less overt knowledge about these up-and-coming personnel guys, as they work in the background, don't really get media access, and are usually buried under their own GM and sometimes other executives on the totem pole--and yet plugged in NFL guys are connected enough to know their reputations. These are the types I have ALWAYS wished we would pursue--lieutenant talent evaluator types from proven scouting trees, who came up right and earned the shot at putting together their own roster. 

1. He's worked his way up inside of competent organizations--check. A Beane protege who also worked under Schneider in SEA.

2. Talent evaluator rather than just admin type--check.

3. His best days still in front of him--check, he's worked in (so far) successful FO's but he hasn't been the guy yet.

4. Philosophy that meshes with the HC he'd be scouting/acquiring players for--check. 

5. Winning pedigree--check. He has been immersed in winning cultures and knows what those buildings feel like.

6. Not a "comfort" or nepotism hire--check. This one can be hard, because guys are naturally more likely to want to work with people they've worked with before and football is so insular that lots of guys, even qualified ones, first got promotions due to who they know. But this guy has a good rep that Rivera respects while still having a degree of separation--they haven't worked directly together before so it is still more of a professional interest for business reasons rather than a personal comfort thing, which is how these types of matches should be made assuming generally compatible personalities.

Now I know this guy isn't necessarily going to be the pick. And I too have been impressed with Kyle Smith's drafts. But it's just encouraging that a guy LIKE this might be on the shortlist. The fact that a guy like this is even on our radar is not something that would have happened in past regimes under Snyder, despite how long we've all begged for an up-and-coming scout type from a franchise like the Ravens, Steelers, etc. It seems so obvious and yet here we are. 

It really is like history is repeating itself, 20 years later. Dan fired Jay during a miserable season like Norv shouldve been by John KC in 1998, and wound up getting axed by Dan two seasons later. Now, like Marty in 2001, we are bringing in a no-nonsense coach in Rivera. I do think he'll fare better than Marty did here....Schotty's start was disastrous 

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That's great........for the Packers.  Which happen to be the only team with a non-profit status, which is why they are the only team's financial breakdown you will actually see.  They also are a great franchise that has a lot more local support than we do or have in a while. 

I'm not saying that a large chunk of the overall revenue isn't from local revenue.  I'd assume it is, though with how attendance has been way down and how ****ty the product on the field has been, I speculate that it's a lot lower than 43%.  But there is no way for either of us to know for sure.

I'd also imagine that the majority of local revenue would be generated by corporate sponsors than ticket sales and concessions.  What is the actual percentage breakdown for each category?  I don't know, tried to find it, but could only find final numbers.  But keep in mind that the local revenue extends into the playoffs and includes the following for the Packers:

Local revenue includes game-day revenue, local broadcast fees, sponsorships and Lambeau Field Atrium-business income. The latter includes the Packers Pro Shop, Packers Hall of Fame, stadium tours, 1919 Kitchen & Tap and atrium rentals for such things as conventions, meetings and weddings.

There are events at FedEx, but I'd imagine it doesn't bring in the revenue that Lambeau does.  And we all know that the Packers make the playoffs consistently which extends local revenue.  

Your response is great but you didn't address the reason for my post.  Does Daniel Snyder as a business owner care what his fan base thinks?  I was told he doesn't because we are not a direct source of his revenue.  I disagreed and showed proof that we, Redskins fans, are directly responsible for a portion of his revenue.  Are you also saying he doesn't care about the opinions of his fan base?

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now I’m so confused.  Is he out or in? Or in for now? Or does he actually not know?

The reports seem to have coalesced into "he's in for the rest of his contract that ends in May". My guess is that Snyder and Rivera are working to bring in someone to be in charge of the FO, and it won't be Shaffer.

If Shaffer is as well-respected as everyone says, it's in his interest to do a good job through the draft/FA period and then look elsewhere if he doesn't fit in here. Sounds like that's about when those jobs come open, anyway. 

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So we'd look like this right now?

DEs -- Sweat/Kerrigan/Young (most likely)
DTs -- Allen/Payne/Ionnidis/Settle
OLB -- Anderson and Bostic?
MLB -- Holcomb?
CBs -- Dunbar/Moreland/Morneau
S -- Collins/Nicholson

I think Sweat and Young would play OLB , Kerrigan and Ionnidis at DE along with Jordan Brailford, the draft pick who was on IR this season

Don't forget Caleb Brantley also at DT and Reuben Foster at MLB 

13 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I think Sweat and Young would play OLB , Kerrigan and Ionnidis at DE along with Jordan Brailford, the draft pick who was on IR this season

Sweat and Young aren't playing off-ball OLB in a 4-3 though. 

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

yeah no there is zero chance Young isn't playing DE in a 4-3.

**** Schaffer, **** Smith. **** Williams. **** everyone.

Let Ron decide or have a big say in who the personnel people will be.  Ron needs to be able to have a relationship with people he's in sink with. Maybe that happens with who we have now, maybe it doesn't.  I don't expect the front office to be settled until after the draft.

Since Ron will have control over the roster, he decides which current players will be a good fit for him and which ones will not. I'm sure Haskins will be given every opportunity in 2020 to be the guy but if things don't work out with Haskins; Ron has the right to find out will be the QB.

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

is there anybody out there that we could realistically get that's a better offensive coordinator than oconell?

I don't know what you mean by better. There's different, I can find you different easily. I guess it depends on which attribute you most want in your coach.

Is disciplinarian and hard nosed philosophy your thing, or a more analytical Xs and Os data type? A firm leader of men type, or inspirer/friend? 

Do you value youth, or value age and wisdom? Is prior coordinator experience and/or head coaching experience a necessity? There was some mention of prior head coaching experience as being a desirable quality for assistants added to the Rivera staff.

Does it need to be a coach already in the NFL to meet criteria, or would an NFL retread be a negative? Do you see the major influence of the college game on the NFL and want that innovation/scheme? Are college coaches of interest?

The closest thing to Kingsbury air raid, the cliche savant genius, for this year would probably be David Yost. Those were the type of hires that Al Davis used to roll the dice upon, regardless of personality or mesh, just identify coaches (and players) with unique or substantial talent and throw them together in a milieu. 

There are several more college coaches that I could have been listed, but who were however given new jobs, promotions as coordinators or head coaching jobs in quick fashion, like Mike Bobo, Jeff Scott, and Mike Norvell. Also too highly talented and experienced positional coaches, like Sam Pittman who would have been an amazing o-line coach were promoted to a head coaching gig. Not to mention the defensive minded coaches in college, like a certain head coach the quiet rage of a lot of fanboys, Justin Wilcox. 

................................................................................................

O'Connell )

Young NFL                           Similar to O'Connell                           Old NFL                                               College

Dan Campbell ( ✓ )               Luke Getsy  ( * ‡ + )                    Tom Clements ( ‡ + ✓ )                        David Yost ( ‡ +      

Klint Kubiak (  )                          Mike Mularkey ( * + ✓ )                          Dan Enos ( * ‡ ✓ 

Shane Waldron ( ‡ +                 Ken Whisenhunt ( + ✓ )                         Steve Sarkisian ( ‡ + ✓ ) 

Mike Munchak ( 

*   = Played QB

‡  QB coach experience

+  = Coordinator experience 

✓  = Head Coaching experience 

17 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I don't know what you mean by better. There's different, I can find you different easily. I guess it depends on which attribute you most want in your coach.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, your evaluation was far more than I expected and i thank you for that, but all I really meant by it was, is there someone that is more likely to be successful. 

Are there any candidates out there that are viable that would represent an upgrade or give us a better chance for success?

Obviously a lot of this is opinion based but that's what I was kind of looking for, opinions on potential offensive coordinators. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

... is there someone that is more likely to be successful. 

Well, there are some coaches on the list who have proven to develop QBs before, multiples of them, to high places. Some at the NFL level and some at the major college level.

I've been highly impressed with the avant garde style and unique backstory of David Yost. Read up on him. And seemingly at each one of his schools he's improved some highly regarded QBs who have either gone on to the NFL, or who will be in the NFL, from Missouri, Washington St, Oregon, Texas Tech. It also doesn't hurt that he's matriculated in the fancy air raid system that in part got Kingsbury hired by Arizona last year.

And despite being recently fired, Whisenhunt is one NFL coach that I can think of who has mentored several high level QBs in the league over the past 15+ years. He's not my personal top choice, or recommendation, but just an example of an experienced QB developer with a track record. He's certainly more experienced than O'Connell, that doesn't mean he's better though. And Whis having been a head coach in the league, has likewise felt the sting of being fired. All of that manifests perspective and wisdom. 

I happen to be a fan of Dan Enos and think he's just landed in poor spots the last couple years. The work he did at Arkansas under Bilema was top rate stuff, an every NFL sunday type of offense (when he had a certain level of ability at QB). I kinda hope he gets a mid major head coaching gig again. But in lieu of that, I think he'd be a good NFL OC.

It would seem that at least a few people in the existing org will be given auditions to see if they work in the Rivera regime going forward. Not knowing O'Connell personally at all, or his temperament, or his style of coaching, or how good he is at developing a QB, I think his green status probably works in his favor as to getting another year's worth of casting calls.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dan Campbell of the Saints. I simply don't know how strong of an Xs and Os guy he is, or whether he's got any playcalling savvy. From everything I've gathered, he's the real motivator, hard nosed type. As to how much Peyton genius he's accumulated by osmosis, I have no idea. It's never a good bet to hang your hat on that kind of fanciful thinking. 

That's kind of why I allow scheme and gameplanning that shows up on the tape to be my guide for the guys on the list, most notably the college guys (which is the football format I mostly focus on). 

I've always been a fan of both Mularkey and Munchak for different reasons. Both check the box at having had previous head coaching experience, which if it is a valuable commodity for Ron, should make those guys similar to Del Rio, just for the offensive side.

Clements also really doesn't need any introduction concerning his football acumen. He's likewise someone best to fit that mold of the diligent assistant coach focused solely on his department. I took some liberty listed Clements with prior head coaching experience based on his Assistant HC title in GB, but truthfully, Mularkey and Munchak were legitimately hired as HCs in the past.

There are guys like Luke Getsy and Shane Waldron who are essentially the exact same prospect as O'Connell roughly the same age and level of experience/responcibilty. At that point, if you are at all considering them, it really comes down to personality, intteligence, acumen, etc -- which could only be yielded through personal interatct or the highest level of personal references.  

@redskinss  Here is some Yost reading material:

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2016/01/who_is_dave_yost_5_things_to_k.html

https://texastech.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-yost/2256

https://www.cbs7.com/content/sports/Get-to-know-Texas-Techs-new-offensive-coordinator--501940932.html

The list of QBs Yost has worked with/developed in recent history, an incomplete list for sure, includes Chase Daniel, B. Gabbert, Luke Falk, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, etc.

There are probably a few other obscure ones.

He's a sammy hagar look a like, lol.

He's intriguing but without any professional experience I think we'd be better off with oconell. 

Honestly I'm really torn on the offensive coordinator position, on the one hand I like the continuity of keeping oconell but on the other he really has very little experience. 

I guess if I had to choose though I'd gamble and go with oconell, he has a rapport with haskins and Gruden obviously saw talent or he wouldn't have been in that role in the first place.

It just worries me that a defensive minded coach will have someone so young and inexperienced leading the half of the team where he's weakest.

36 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It just worries me that a defensive minded coach will have someone so young and inexperienced leading the half of the team where he's weakest.

You can always add an experienced position coach. But don't forget that similar types of guys are running complete teams, like Matt LaFleur. And most D coaches are not complete idiots on O. They know what is hard to defend, they know how to find the strong and weak points in a O & D. So Rivera is totally able to support and help KOC with his job. 

8 hours ago, hail2skins said:

It really is like history is repeating itself, 20 years later. Dan fired Jay during a miserable season like Norv shouldve been by John KC in 1998, and wound up getting axed by Dan two seasons later. Now, like Marty in 2001, we are bringing in a no-nonsense coach in Rivera. I do think he'll fare better than Marty did here....Schotty's start was disastrous 

Snyder **** the bed firing Marty.  Terrible start but that team finished 8-3.  Never got a real chance to truly change the culture.  Damn shame.

Archived