Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

2 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

I'm not talking about the chosen candidate but the firings to get that candidate.  Do you truly believe he would have fired Bruce Allen without the media and fan base pushing him? 

Media and fanbase? We had zero impact with our whining. That stupid fancard  phase didn't influence him.

Rivera and other professionals saying to get rid of him? Absolutely. 

2 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

So, will Rivera's hiring revive the now dead rumors of a few months ago that the Skins will go after Cam Newton...this time as a backup/mentor for Haskins? I can't imagine they will keep McCoy and deciding whether to keep Keenum must be a question also.

Newton's status in Carolina is apparently still in question though but there are probably a number of teams that would still make him a starter. Also, Alex Smith probably keeps the role of Haskins' mentor and Newton would probably be too expensive as a backup for the Skins. Still, I wonder if Ron might try to fit him in somehow here.

I am pretty sure we still have Alex Smith and his billion dollar salary to be a back up and mentor to Haskins.

13 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

Give him credit for what, LOL???  The Redskins have been terrible for over twenty years.  He fired them because he had no other choice.

I am talking about the fact that we had an advantage to move faster than other teams and actually used that advantage. That’s was a solid strategic move regardless of how we got here. 

Just now, SonnySideUp said:

He definitely fills the mentor role well but I'm not so sure about the backup part. That's still a big question I would think.

Haskins will be the starter and there is no doubt to that I believe. That leaves Smith and his unmovable contract as a back-up. I don't see where we have room for another huge contract for a back-up QB, which is what Newton would get on the market.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Media and fanbase? We had zero impact with our whining. That stupid fancard  phase didn't influence him.

Rivera and other professionals saying to get rid of him? Absolutely. 

Are you serious?  You don't believe a business cares what their customers think?  Maybe you're right which would partly explain why we have been terrible for so long.   

Just now, emoore0222 said:

Are you serious?  You don't believe a business cares what their customers think?  Maybe you're right which would partly explain why we have been terrible for so long.   

Yes

A regular business? Yes. An NFL team, no. We aren't the direct source of revenue. As a fan? Dan might.

2 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

He definitely fills the mentor role well but I'm not so sure about the backup part. That's still a big question I would think.

There's no chance in hell we go after Newton. He's a pain in the ass to manage that we don't need. And there's absolutely no way in satan's red hell that he'd accept a backup position. He also doesn't seem like the "mentor" type. He's a diva me me me guy who needs attention and wants the spotlight. Hard hard hard pass on anything to do with him.

19 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Well, on one hand, while Dorsey wasnt lighting things up, it does seem kind of sad to fire the first guy in 16 years to bring you back to back 6 wins or more seasons.  

On the other hand, he decided to hire Freddie Kitchens as HC, so he kind of made his own immense screw up.

The real issue is that DePodesta never left Haslam's ear the last couple seasons, and wanted to hire someone other than Kitchens...Dorsey won that battle but lost the war as the Browns want to give DePodesta more power now and I'm sure he wouldn't agree to it. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes

A regular business? Yes. An NFL team, no. We aren't the direct source of revenue. As a fan? Dan might.

"Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves. In 2018, the Packers earned $196 million in local revenue, 43% of their total revenue that year, which was $455 million."

According to information I found with a quick Google search, it looks like you may be mistaken.  It looks like we are a large source of his revenue.  

8 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

Haskins will be the starter and there is no doubt to that I believe. That leaves Smith and his unmovable contract as a back-up. I don't see where we have room for another huge contract for a back-up QB, which is what Newton would get on the market.

The answer seems obvious... Trade Alex take cap hit, along with kerrigan/williams/maybe norman, 1 other for more draft picks to get cheap depth for next year

3 minutes ago, Veretax said:

The answer seems obvious... Trade Alex take cap hit, along with kerrigan/williams/maybe norman, 1 other for more draft picks to get cheap depth for next year

I just can't see anybody trading for a QB with his contract with a leg held together with duct tape and zip ties.

2 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

I just can't see anybody trading for a QB with his contract with a leg held together with duct tape and zip ties.

Depends on health, so if he's cut, more reason to trade expensive vets for draft picks.  Also resets windows for that position.

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You won’t find anyone capable in FA during the season. I just hate the depth we have in our secondary. I love Moreland and Moreau and Dunbar but I’m not 100% confident in any of them on an island. Do I think Chase gives them an ppportunity to be better? Absolutely. I would take Chase in a heartbeat. I’m not opposed to his being drafted. But I would at least consider dropping a couple of spots and grabbing an Okudah or Simmons and adding a couple more first rounders. I don’t buy the “generational” moniker until they’ve shown it in the bigs.

Well sure, but you have no idea if Okudah or Simmons can show it in the NFL either if you have that mindset. Plus no way we are getting a couple of extra first rounders without a top QB available. The best way to help Moreland, Moreau, and Dunbar is to give them a top rush so they arent covering for too long. We dont need to go get a CB1 or even CB2, I would be happy with drafting another CB in the mid rounds.

Ron Rivera isn’t a sexy hire, and I mean that in a most complimentary way. He isn’t Mike Shanahan, a head coach who brought a championship pedigree from somewhere else. He isn’t Joe Gibbs, who came back toting three rings and trying to restore a legacy he created. He doesn’t have the last name of Jay Gruden, and he doesn’t come with flashy offensive credentials. He offers no promise to modernize the Washington Redskins’ style of football.

Rivera is just a traditional, hard-nosed ball coach. He is a leader and a communicator. He is a stable, reasonable, decent human being who, at 57, will guide the football team with impeccable character and class and foster an environment of synergy in Ashburn. Oh, and another vital thing: The days of a soft, defensively inept product are about to end. If you’ve been praying for Washington to return to its tough and stingy roots, Rivera’s defensive emphasis and prowess give the Redskins their best chance in decades at sustaining excellence in this area.

Sexy hire? No. Smart? Infinitely. By turning to Rivera, owner Daniel Snyder has made a substantive decision that, with patience, has a better chance of stabilizing the franchise than any move Snyder has made over the past two decades. It’s not because the former Carolina Panthers coach is some great, unassailable savior; he has flaws and needs to evolve. It’s because the owner read the franchise’s pitiful situation properly and acted decisively in identifying the type of coach capable of taking command and fixing the most pressing issues.

You know the dozens of ways that this could fail, especially if egos get in the way and Rivera receives too much interference. Those are boilerplate concerns with this organization, but there should be hope because Snyder didn’t make some strange, luxury pick. Rivera is just a pickup truck — a nice one, but still a pickup truck — and you bring him to do practical things. Earn respect. Restore discipline and order. Develop good players and good people. Build a competitive team that won’t shrink or disappear on game day. Washington’s needs match Rivera’s strengths. If you’re going to hire a coach before finalizing new front-office personnel and structure, Rivera can be considered a good foundational piece.

In fact, Snyder should give Rivera as much organizational power as the coach can handle, even if that includes final say on personnel. Ordinarily, I would consider that a dangerous level of authority, but when you do some digging on Rivera’s background, you come back feeling the same way you do about his coaching: He’s just a solid, well-intentioned dude. He will work well with others. He has underrated scouting instincts, but he also recognizes that he cannot succeed alone and must resist micromanagement. His most admirable trait is that he genuinely cares about the people he works with, from ownership down, and he gets to know them to maximize their talents.

12 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Alex Smith will likely never play again. That injury was devastating. He has to make a good faith effort to rehab in order to collect his guarantee. My best friend is a orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in lower extremities and he’s convinced once the initial hardware was removed and they used the external fixator plus the soft tissue damage due to the infection, his chances of playing again are nearly zero. 

Even his wife’s video of him running on the treadmill is on a special treadmill that negates your body weight. I doubt any team would trade for him. 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Alex Smith will likely never play again. That injury was devastating. He has to make a good faith effort to rehab in order to collect his guarantee. My best friend is a orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in lower extremities and he’s convinced once the initial hardware was removed and they used the external fixator plus the soft tissue damage due to the infection, his changes of playing again are nearly zero. 

Even his wife’s video of him running on the treadmill is on a special treadmill that negates your body weight. I doubt any team would trade for him. 

My post had nothing to do with likelihood or probability.

Mearly stating that it makes sense to clean out some bad contracts up front, find a way to get more draft picks in year 1 of Revera then let them sit even longer.  My opinion.

Just now, Veretax said:

My post had nothing to do with likelihood or probability.

Mearly stating that it makes sense to clean out some bad contracts up front, find a way to get more draft picks in year 1 of Revera then let them sit even longer.  My opinion.

With respect to Alex Smith we are on the hook so might as well use him behind the scenes next year then cut him. Why accelerate dead cap in the first off season for your new regime?

30 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

I'd be happy with Case Keenum as the backup. I'm probably in the minority here but I think he can keep the wheels on the bus if needed.

So, I figured we got rivera and we'll probably get a jag defensive coordinator but that didn't matter much because rivera is an excellent defensive coach.

Now that it looks like a distinct possibility that we may get one of the best defensive coordinators in the league it makes me wonder, is there anybody out there that we could realistically get that's a better offensive coordinator than oconell?

Thoughts?

Archived