Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There's a new sheriff in town.  And he's not ****ing around.

That's the feeling I get too. I don't want to get drawn back in--I want to see it. Going over the whole organization with Rivera is encouraging. HOPEFULLY...HOPEFULLY Snyder has a modicum of humility and will MAYBE do SOMETHING different. I won't believe it until I see it though.

Even if this doesn't work, you have to love Rivera as a person.

I like how Rivera answered the question about how he himself and the front office would make decisions.  He basically said the group would try to come to a consensus, and if they couldn't, THEN they would turn to Snyder for help.  I like how he is saying that from the get go, basically, Snyder you aren't a decision maker for the roster.  We will ask for your input when we want your input.  That being said, I pray the group is able to reach a consensus, and never actually have to turn to Snyder to make the call!

I also like how Rivera said he didn't have patience to rebuild and from what he has read, Dan doesn't have patience either.  I get the sense that Ron will not be afraid to stand up to Snyder if he meddles, as it seems they gave ironed out a dynamic of how this will work, and it appears Ron is not afraid to speak up.   

I did not initially want Rivera, I wanted a young up and comer offensive guy, but I feel great about this hire now.  I think he is perfect for us to change our culture and poor reputation post Bruce.   Del Rio addition makes it even better.

An exciting new era is underway!

It’s just a presser, I know, but I’m going to say it, I really am trying hard to not be negative and turn a new page about everything since Allen was let go, which was the biggest problem we had organizationally... but that was a nightmare introduction from Dan for me, saying it “starts and ends with the coach”.

And then, to follow it up, what Ron said about what Dan had learned about success in the NFL, that it revolves totally around the coach. 

Really!? That’s what you learned? It’s the same damn pattern in the Snyder Cycle we’ve been through now over and over again. Unbelievable! 

It’s what Dan has ALWAYS done. Always. He has always put way too much on the plate of his Head Coach and has made that position/role in his organization way too overwhelming for anyone to fulfill. Especially after hiring an up comer or inexperienced one placed in a more traditional role. It’s literally what happened EVERY TIME. 

This isn’t hindsight. Here’s what I said just a few months ago: 

But, hey, what’s new. The culmination of another Snyder Cycletm is at hand. How fun!

Same posters trashing Jay right now were the same ones trashing the Shanahan’s and buying every fluff piece about Jay when he was hired and were the same ones trashing Zorn and buying every fluff piece about Shanahan when he was hired and were the same ones excited about Gibbs’ “old school run, run, pass approach” departing and were buying every fluff piece about Zorn and his new and organized approach when he was hired and were the same ones trashing Spurrier and were buying every fluff piece about Gibbs’ return and how he’d fix everything and were the same ones trashing Marty and were buying every fluff piece about Spurrier’s new and innovative offense and were the same ones trashing Norv and were buying every fluff piece about Marty’s disciplined style and on we go!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 

Can’t wait for the next guy! Hmmmm... let me guess? We’re going to get some fluff pieces about a more disciplined approach? Maybe some more “hurry up” going to be sprinkled in the offense (that’ll get the fans juices going, there’s nothing like the phrases “hurry up” and “uptempo” to generate some erections)? For sure we’re going to hear about a more “aggressive defense” that’ll be about “attacking the offense”.

I just hope Ron, unlike most of the HCs he’s given ultimate control to, recognizes this himself and doesn’t fall into that trap.

But the fact that that’s what he pointed to when he answered why he chose the Redskins over anywhere else? That was my greatest fear. That he would be tempted by Dan’s promises of power and go against his own understanding, of which he was recently quoted, about things like final say on personnel. Just hate that Dan is setting it up himself like that and now it’s on Ron to not let it happen. 

We’ll see, it’s just a start, it’s just a presser, but that was a nightmare start for me. I can’t see this as anything other than yet another good football guy being set up to fail here. :( 

4 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

And then, to follow it up, what Ron said about what Dan had learned about success in the NFL, that it revolves totally around the coach. 

However, he did say that the front office and the coaching staff need to work together. That it takes everyone on the same page--which the clearly we not under Allen/Gruden.

Snyder is looking a bit "rougher" these days.  Age and stress has taken it's toll.  He looks like he could be Ron Rivera's little brother.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

BTW, anyone else love that Dallas is ****ing around with Jason Garrett on their third meeting today?  

I think for Jerry Jones he doesn't want to let go of Garrett.  I think in Garrett he has the perfect scenario of getting little to no pushback about Jerry's GM role and Garrett is likely the "go along to get along" type that Jerry demands in that position.  However, he also realizes that the Cowboys continue to underachieve and he doesn't want to waste another crop of young talent on a bunch of 8-8ish seasons before they are all used up and/or have moved on to other teams.

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

BTW, anyone else love that Dallas is ****ing around with Jason Garrett on their third meeting today?  

Yeah that's how you end up with the 2nd and 3rd tier coaches. I do like how Snyder moved quickly--dispensed with the casting a wide net bull****.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, SkinsHokieFan said:

As I have progressed in my career and moved up the ladder the one observation I have of executive C-level leadership is you must treat all of them like 5 year olds.

Making an idea that is yours, sound like it was theirs the entire time, will 100% get projects moving and advance your career. This is a phenomena I have observed across multiple companies, big and small. 

No one believes that you have progressed.

But your point is solid.

12 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I just hope Ron, unlike most of the HCs he’s given ultimate control to, recognizes this himself and doesn’t fall into that trap.

But the fact that that’s what he pointed to when he answered why he chose the Redskins over anywhere else? That was my greatest fear. That he would be tempted by Dan’s promises of power and go against his own understanding, of which he was recently quoted, about things like final say on personnel. Just hate that Dan is setting it up himself like that and now it’s on Ron to not let it happen. 

We’ll see, it’s just a start, it’s just a presser, but that was a nightmare start for me. I can’t see this as anything other than yet another good football guy being set up to fail here. :( 

This is a very good point, but I would tweak it slightly.

Dan has always thought the key to everything is one man.

Get the one man to fix everything. And it didn't start with any coach. It started with Deion Sanders. If you recall that introductory press conference, Dan made the point that we now had the ultimate weapon....the equalizer...the one dude who was going to take us from being a playoff team to a champion.

When that failed, it was up to Marty.

When that failed it was up to Gibbs.

When that ended somewhat abruptly, it was up to no one at all frankly. Then it was up to Shanahan. Then it was all on RGIII. Then it was up to Bruce. And Bruce. And Bruce.

Honestly, I think the Bruce years broke him a little.

Now, we are looking at lifetime .540 winning percentage Ron Rivera to rebuild this entire organization from the top to the bottom. From the GM to the trainer to the PR department.

It seems like a lot.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is a very good point, but I would tweak it slightly.

Dan has always thought the key to everything is one man.

Get the one man to fix everything. And it didn't start with any coach. It started with Deion Sanders. If you recall that introductory press conference, Dan made the point that we now had the ultimate weapon....the equalizer...the one dude who was going to take us from being a playoff team to a champion.

When that failed, it was up to Marty.

When that failed it was up to Gibbs.

When that ended somewhat abruptly, it was up to no one at all frankly. Then it was up to Shanahan. Then it was all on RGIII. Then it was up to Bruce. And Bruce. And Bruce.

Honestly, I think the Bruce years broke him a little.

Now, we are looking at lifetime .540 winning percentage Ron Rivera to rebuild this entire organization from the top to the bottom. From the GM to the trainer to the PR department.

It seems like a lot.

Rivera's favorite saying regarding success is something like "It's not 1 guy doing 11 things.  It's 11 guys doing 1 thing".  I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.

Hopefully he follows this principle himself because as you say, that's too much for any single person to handle successfully.

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Maybe I didn't hear Snyder right but did he say Happy Thanksgiving?

He sure did.  What an awkward boob he is.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

However, he did say that the front office and the coaching staff need to work together. That it takes everyone on the same page--which the clearly we not under Allen/Gruden.

I get that, and that’s 100% true... but the way that gets done more often than not in the NFL is that the Owner and his top executive set up the overall vision for the organization.

That “top executive” is sometimes the GM who is an expert evaluator himself and has final say over personnel where the HC reports to him, sometimes it’s a Team President that hires a GM and HC and they both equally report to him, and rarer still it’s the owner himself who acts as the top exec and sets the above up. 

But, outside of anomalous situations, the HC being the be all end all with ultimate power and essentially the top executive in the organization has ended up in failure around the NFL. Pointing to the rare examples where it has worked is not reassuring at all.

Even in those situations, you often find that the HC himself understood how an organization should be structured and their GM has a lot of power, essentially running player acquisition during the offseason. 

The sickening thing is this isn’t new for Dan. We’ve seen this before. It hasn’t worked. Yet, he’s saying that’s what he learned? Basically, he’s saying he’s been right all along and ahead of the curve! Did Dan even sound apologetic at all!? Nope. The dude believes he was NEVER wrong about anything. This is why the Cycle repeats itself and never ends. 

The only way this works is if Ron holds true to his previous words and gives a GM the real power to make any and all decisions related to player personnel during the offseason (outside of the active 46 like he said during the season), without unwarranted interference, even if he disagrees. That his ultimate power isn’t really used outside of the coaching staff itself, which is where his expertise lies. 

That is essentially what the Seahawks have going on with Schneider and Carroll. It can work. It’s just frustrating that Dan seems to be repeating what he’s always done. 

I have no concerns about Rivera & Jack Del Rio putting players in the best position to succeed and elevating the talent on the roster, getting the most out of them etc etc etc......

What remains to be seen is how the process of bringing in players differs from the past. 

I get that, and that’s 100% true... but the way that gets done more often than not in the NFL is that the Owner and his top executive set up the overall vision for the organization.

That “top executive” is sometimes the GM who is an expert evaluator himself and has final say over personnel where the HC reports to him, sometimes it’s a Team President that hires a GM and HC and they both equally report to him, and rarer still it’s the owner himself who acts as the top exec and sets the above up. 

But, outside of anomalous situations, the HC being the be all end all with ultimate power and essentially the top executive in the organization has ended up in failure around the NFL. Pointing to the rare examples where it has worked is not reassuring at all.

Even in those situations, you often find that the HC himself understood how an organization should be structured and their GM has a lot of power, essentially running player acquisition during the offseason. 

The sickening thing is this isn’t new for Dan. We’ve seen this before. It hasn’t worked. Yet, he’s saying that’s what he learned? Basically, he’s saying he’s been right all along and ahead of the curve! Did Dan even sound apologetic at all!? Nope. The dude believes he was NEVER wrong about anything. This is why the Cycle repeats itself and never ends. 

The only way this works is if Ron holds true to his previous words and gives a GM the real power to make any and all decisions related to player personnel during the offseason (outside of the active 46 like he said during the season), without unwarranted interference, even if he disagrees. That his ultimate power isn’t really used outside of the coaching staff itself, which is where his expertise lies. 

That is essentially what the Seahawks have going on with Schneider and Carroll. It can work. It’s just frustrating that Dan seems to be repeating what he’s always done. 

He basically said he will have Bellichick power in the coach centric plan they put together. With Dan being the ultimate arbiter. He’s not giving a GM jack. He’s smart enough to know to buddy up with Dan and don’t let someone else fill the Brice role. 

I may be wrong, but Rivera has said he doesn't want personnel control (unless I am completely missing your point). Which would lead me to believe that the GM, or whoever, will have a lot of power? It's also hard to judge right now because everything is in flux. Personally, I don't care who got hired 1st--coach or GM. They need to work together either way. It depends on who they bring in--I'd imagine they'll stick with the current staff with Kyle Smith running the draft, and then clarify the structure.

But I am with you--I am in wait and see mode. It's hard not to like Rivera. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

One thing though--the GM and Rivera need to be left to make the decisions, only asking Snyder when they need to. Keep him out of any decision making processes!

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He basically said he will have Bellichick power in the coach centric plan they put together. With Dan being the ultimate arbiter. He’s not giving a GM jack. He’s smart enough to know to buddy up with Dan and don’t let someone else fill the Brice role. 

I thought he said the complete opposite--that everyone needs to be on the same page--that they all need to work together.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

One thing though--the GM and Rivera need to be left to make the decisions, only asking Snyder when they need to. Keep him out of any decision making processes!

You know that’s not how it will work. There is a void Bruce left as Dan’s buddy. Whoever fills that gap following this honeymoon period will wield the power. If Ron is smart he will make sure Dan is his little buddy otherwise he is in for a rude awakening in 18 months.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought he said the complete opposite--that everyone needs to be on the same page--that they all need to work together.

He sets the agenda. Everyone needs to be on the same page as him. That’s what he presented. He holds the organizational power and only answers to Dan. Everything else was sugar coating. 

Archived