Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

21 hours ago, RSanz said:

At a certain point, you just hope and believe in the "due theory".  Obviously changes had to be made, but this franchise has not been hemorrhaging draft picks over the last 10 years, and they have been building through the draft which is good.  Dan and Vinny did a LOT of damage to this franchise and set it back many years. One would think, given how football ops have been run here and the influx of youth into the roster, that it would pan out into some semblance of success over the next couple of years.  I am cautiously optimistic.

I think I am surprised at myself about how quickly I am climbing aboard the hope train.  I have hated the way this team has been run since Snyder owned the team and so 20 years of it have made me as apathetic and hopeless as could be possible.  Yet, they fire Bruce and talk of getting Rivera suddenly has me hopeful just like I was when they got Marty, then Gibbs 2.0, then Shanahan, then McCloughan.  I guess we'll see.  After saying that, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic too.  

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

See reports that Rivera wants Jack De Rio as DC. That would be awesome and a HUGE upgrade.

Ditto, loving this too.  if we have a smothering D it'll take the pressure off the offense and give young QB time to really develop.  

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I feel like he's the forgotten coordinator, like the gap between Williams and Haslett. But his defenses were good (better than anything since) and he gets so little mentions or memories since. 

That word "good."  I don't think it means what you think it means.

They were BETTER than the Haz/Barry/Manusky debacles.  

But good?  They were soft read-react defenses which were ok at best. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That word "good."  I don't think it means what you think it means.

They were BETTER than the Haz/Barry/Manusky debacles.  

But good?  They were soft read-react defenses which were ok at best. 

Weren't they ranked 4th and 10th overall? I remember the 2008 season we were building around it. 2009 was hit and miss but we were still good in terms of yardage. I know I was watching less detailed in 2009 cause I couldn't stand Zorn but I remember not hating him and thinking it would be ok if we kept Blatche in 2010. 

The NFC East sucks. We have some easy non division games too. I fully expect Ron to be in coach of the year discussions. Jack del Rio is legit too. All the Alabama guys can handle the hard coaching so I expect them to gel pretty fast. This is the most optimistic I have been in years for the team.

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

sweet we're back to hunting leaks

i recall one time during a season ticket holder meeting where larry michael and bruce allen went on a rant about how they're stopping leaks. they both came off as complete buffoons. and i watched michael interacting with his staff enough, when he wasn't presenting, to realize he's about the biggest asshole i've ever met. maybe they'll fire him too.

God this organization seems like douche central. Even firing Bruce isnt going to cleanse the stink completely 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Weren't they ranked 4th and 10th overall? I remember the 2008 season we were building around it. 2009 was hit and miss but we were still good in terms of yardage. I know I was watching less detailed in 2009 cause I couldn't stand Zorn but I remember not hating him and thinking it would be ok if we kept Blatche in 2010. 

They were good statistically but they weren't that good overall. It's a great example of where statistics fail.  

I liked Blache.  The bend but don't break style, until the end, when it broke, was maddening.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/31/21044206/ian-rappaport-on-ron-rivera-and-the-redskins-make-no-mistake-this-is-happening

With regard to concerns about Rivera being one only two head coaches fired in-season, and — so far — one of four coaches to lose his job, I noted the following information from the NFL coaching tracker on NFL.com:

Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins: Gruden...left the organization with a 35-49-1 regular-season record and one postseason appearance.

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns: Cleveland went 6-10 in his only year at the helm.

Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers: Rivera [compiled] a 76-63-1 regular-season record and making four postseason appearances. Rivera’s Panthers won three straight division titles from 2013 through 2015 and made Super Bowl 50 in the 2015 season. Rivera was a two-time Coach of the Year in Carolina.

Pat Shurmur, New York Giants: Shurmur was fired on Dec. 30 after two seasons in New York. Shurmur’s Giants went just 9-23 over his two years at the helm.

One of these is not like the others.

I was absolutely decided upon cancelling my Sunday Ticket subscription and told the wife AGAIN this Sunday not to renew. But,... Rivera and Del Rio?! Hmmm, I might have to go all in again.  I mean, how can you not?  I really like where this is going and super-stoked Del Rio might be in!

Just now, crabbypatty said:

no scuttlebutt but he went 6-10 his last year there, after a 12-4 season.. Carr seemed to regress and then he was dumped for Gruden.

Yeah but why no coordinator gig that he seems to excel at?

Did he just want an extra long break?

Did he do any broadcasting?

Does anyone know?

I'm just curious. 

1 minute ago, FuriousD said:

?  I really like where this is going and super-stoked Del Rio might be in!

And if our defense turns into a monster it's far less likely that our coordinator will get poached too as he's already had multiple chances.

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah but why no coordinator gig that he seems to excel at?

Did he just want an extra long break?

Did he do any broadcasting?

Does anyone know?

I'm just curious. 

I don't know, but he has made a ton of money over the years so if he just wanted a bit of a break, why not?

2 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Plus  didn't Rappaport state today that Ron and his wife had dinner with Snyder at the Snyder home?

Maybe Morton's carryout.   LOL

I imagine Dan could bring in a Morton's chef if he wanted to.

Or, Gordon Ramsay, quite frankly.  

Archived