Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Just now, crabbypatty said:

Larry is ok, he's mostly harmless. I didn't realize he's been here since 2004. But if you're cleaning house, why not really clean house.

At least he wasn't some brucifer crony hire.

I never got the dislike for Larry.  I've met him multiple times -- he struck me as a really cool guy.  Others who have dealt with him have said the same.  He's paid to do PR for the club.  It's not his job to give a balanced take on the franchise.  He's paid specifically to sell what they are doing.  If they replace him, the next dude would operate in a similar fashion. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

WOW, Del Rio?!? This is absolutely amazing. This division is going to easily be ours next season. He is an outstanding DC. What a ****ing team or coaches. I have not been this excited since Gibbs II was announced. 

Scheffer out stinks, but maybe Smith gets the GM title. He's done great for us IMO so I hope he stays. He has the connections with both Ron and Bruce, so who knows.

Our defense is going to ball out big time. I love all the 85 Bears connections instead of the freaking Bucs.

I brought him up in the next coach thread because I love his work on defense. I thought he has done well as a head coach too. I think this is part of the whole coaching tree thing. Having worked with Andy Reid, Rivera has a lot of options and talent to pull from. 

13 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I love Doug Williams for SB 22, I could care less about him staying on as an executive.  

I don't know what Doug Williams does for this team, other than being front and center to explain mistakes that Bruce was making.  And being a visible face of the franchise that fans of a certain age love and revere.

Schaefer, not sure what happened there.  From what I understand this is the guy that keeps us out of cap hell.  

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

KB, we wait and see but Schaffer was mentioned many times as being shrewd when it came to doing contracts.  He will be missed.  Hopefully, we get a good guy. 

Absolutely, he had a great reputation and I have no doubt he was very good at what he did, overseeing the structure of contracts.  I would have liked to see him stay on in that capacity, but I love the direction they are heading in, and if the consensus was that he didn't fit in, then I think that roll of cap management could be more easily replaced than a solid personnel guy, or the solid coaching staff that they seem to be assembling.  To put it simply, I think acquiring food personnel and coaching guys is a bigger challenge, and more vital to success, than a cap guru.

But I agree with you in the sense that, who knows, we will wait and see.  It could be we regret letting Schaefer go. However I feel pretty strongly that we will all agree that we prefer to have this group versus the group that we had a year ago.  And Schaefer leaving was probably inevitable to make this transition.

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

That's really cool.  I was 6 during SB 22, one of my earliest skins memories.  Remember him going down clutching his knee, being in that 10-0 hole, then coming out guns blazing.  I was running all over my house.  Was exhausted by halftime.

I was already a big fan even at that age, but it really solidified it for life I think.  Imagine you're 7 and you get mail from the Super Bowl MVP.

All I had was his football card that listed his city and state as Zachary, Louisana as his home town.  Went to the post office and looked up the zip code, then sent a letter addressed to him with no other information.  Just Doug Williams, city, state, and zip.  A month letter he wrote me back.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yes, it was on Grant and Danny, right?  I believe I heard the same interview or one where he said the same thing and its always stuck in my mind.

Yep and if i recall he was on Cooley's podcast once.   The one negative thought I had digesting what he said was is this dude a like minded but just more competent and classy version of Bruce's thinking?  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I never got the dislike for Larry.  I've met him multiple times -- he struck me as a really cool guy.  Others who have dealt with him have said the same.  He's paid to do PR for the club.  It's not his job to give a balanced take on the franchise.  He's paid specifically to sell what they are doing.  If they replace him, the next dude would operate in a similar fashion. 

I don't disagree - I've met him a few times too.  Nice guy in person.   BUT I wouldn't mind him being gone either - don't really enjoy listening to him anymore.  At this point I like the idea of a completely cleaned out house - even down to the biased media guy.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Shows you how much the media guesses and what's true and not true.

What the media isn't putting out a report, they are just making an educated guess.  Some of those guesses are bound to be wrong.  But I don't mind them trying especially in the off season when there isn't a lot to discuss otherwise. 😀 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The dislike for Larry comes from the fact that he's a bit of a homer...as you've touched on.  But more importantly he replaced Frank Herzog who was the voice of the franchise.  Now that's not Larry's fault but people hold that grudge against him.  Frank Herzog was fantastic.  Larry's alright but he's no Frank.  Sonny, Sam and Frank in the 80s and 90s was as great of a play by play/color team as you could have asked for.  I remember my dad muting the TV and turning up the radio, that was something a lot of people in the DMV did.

7 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

With all these firings any way possible we can get rid of Larry Michael while we're at it?? 😂

Can he take Cooley with him?

Just about my favourite player his time here. Can't stand his agenda filled ramblings since he hung it up. Always take his evals with a massive pinch of salt personally. 

Lil' Danny's going on a cull and cleaning house it would appear. 

Maybe, just MAYBE, we'll get some semblance of proper structure and accountability put in place when it's all said and done and start to look like a professional football franchise again. 

Hell knows we've exhausted the alternative under him. 

Hail. 

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

The dislike for Larry comes from the fact that he's a bit of a homer...as you've touched on.  But more importantly he replaced Frank Herzog who was the voice of the franchise.  Now that's not Larry's fault but people hold that grudge against him.  Frank Herzog was fantastic.  Larry's alright but he's no Frank.  Sonny, Sam and Frank in the 80s and 90s was as great of a play by play/color team as you could have asked for.  I remember my dad muting the TV and turning up the radio, that was something a lot of people in the DMV did.

Exactly,  I miss Frank

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I brought him up in the next coach thread because I love his work on defense. I thought he has done well as a head coach too. I think this is part of the whole coaching tree thing. Having worked with Andy Reid, Rivera has a lot of options and talent to pull from. 

I knew Rivera was respected, but damn. I am overly delighted right now. 100% total overhaul with the most respected available candidate.

Ron and Jack- Hard nosed LBers with 85 Bears roots. We may not become the best overnight, but we are never getting punked again.

I keep thinking of Allen and some of the other pissed off young guys (which we have many) who got tired of the Swearingers and other half ass critics, because they want to work harder and win. One of the reasons I'm hopeful Trent stays gone. All the older "privileged" guys can walk. We started the youngest team and these guys love to work hard. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What the media isn't putting out a report, they are just making an educated guess.  Some of those guesses are bound to be wrong.  But I don't mind them trying especially in the off season when there isn't a lot to discuss otherwise. 😀 

True, SIP.  :)

10 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Was Eric Schafer contracts only? Anyone know what his duties were. 

Serious question. 

Hail

Also served as General Counsel 

PUT A PAUSE ON SCHAFER....geez...effing Santos part 2 going on here.... :ols:

Archived