Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Am just listening to the third reporter today who covered Rivera in Carolina, listening to them you'd think you are getting Lombardi-Gibbs rolled up into one.

I'll say this Rivera at a minimum was clearly beloved by the press in Carolina.  Seems like a more foul mouthed (when he needs to be), emotional version of Gibbs as to being very classy and winning over players and just about everyone in his sphere of influence. 

58 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Man, there are so many people drinking the kool aid in here.  Seems like everyone is excited about the Redskins again.  Ron Rivera, may or may not take a job here.  Dan Snyder is taking control of his ship.

I mean, nothing’s really changed as far as I’m concerned.  We are still the same 3-13 team that we were yesterday, just with some new potential deck chairs on the Titanic.

Ron Rivera, to me, feels like the Alex Smith of coaches.  He’s the guy you bring in because the the best of what’s left.  Things haven’t been working out so you bring in a guy who has done good things, just not consistently and not consistently enough for his old team.

But everyone seems happy.  I don’t get it guys.  What is there to be happy about?  Change just for the sake of change?

Here's my take as to why this feels a little different:

1. Dan consulted outside of the organization folks about what he should do.  I don’t think we’ve seen that before.

2. They identified a solid coach, a coach of the year winner who’s players LOVE him and who is a completely above board, first class person as well as a really good coach. 

3. Dan didn’t just re-assign Bruce.  Or allow him to quietly retire.  He fired him without remorse.  Cold blooded.  

4. Dan has been meeting with the staff who he’s fired himself, instead of delegating.  I see this as a positive sign of taking responsibility.  

5. There is open talk of Rivera choosing a GM to work with as a partner.  Like McDermott and Beane in Buffalo, and Kyle and Lynch in San Fransisco.  

6. There seems to be a plan of keeping some stability for Haskins, who they at least want to see develop.  Presumably keeping KOC as OC so Haskins doesn’t have to learn a new system.  This is conjecture. But seems reasonable. 

7. The firing of Larry Hess shows a willingness to move on from long time employees who haven’t had a good track record.  

8. There IS talent on this team, and with the right Draft and FA, and better coaching (which you WILL get with Rivera and Wilks) there should be immediate improvement. 

9. There is a sense that better people are going to be in charge.  Bruce was just a scum sucking bottom dweller.  Shanahan openly said he lies.  Rivera and presumably an elevation for Eric Schaffer are two solid people and that helps with some of the unsavory stuff which has been going on.

10.  If they do land Rivera, he was probably the most sought after coach on he market not named Riley or Meyer.  And that restores faith that at least Dan can still get good people into the organization.

This all might end up as a disaster.  And dan could screw it up.

But it feels a bit different.  So there is at least some hope.  

Smoot just now on the radio saying he's heard that Dan is out to dinner with Rivera and Obama.  Sounds wild to me but who knows. 

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

"Rivera, what do you mean you don't like putt putt??  Check please!"

I think I saw somewhere that Rivera does like whisky and cigars so maybe they bond that way?  😀

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan was going to stretch this into tomorrow so they can have a press conference with the biggest bang. 

My guess is we get confirmation late tonight so all day tomorrow can be dedicated to the story until s press conference mid-day. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they delayed the presser until Thursday.  Because of New Years.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Smoot just now on the radio saying he's heard that Dan is out to dinner with Rivera and Obama.  Sounds wild to me but who knows. 

I never trust Smoot’s reporting. But if true, the. I would give my left arm to be a fly on that wall.  

Obama is a Bears fan, and Rivera played on the Bears in 85, so that would make some sense.  Maybe? 

I think you got the adjective right though, that would be WILD. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think I saw somewhere that Rivera does like whisky and cigars so maybe they bond that way?  😀

Dan likes his cigar buddies.  

@clskinsfan and @Voice_of_Reason

Thanks for both of your well thought out responses.  I tend to agree that this feels a little different.  That said, I worry that we are all getting swept up.  Sure Dan is doing things himself, but he doesn’t really have the greatest track record doing things by himself or by proxy.  That is reason enough for me to doubt him.  Gladly hope I’m wrong.

As far as Rivera.  I understand that he’s a good man, as well as a respected coach.  That’s why I made the Alex Smith analogy.  Smith is a good guy and a well respected QB.  He’s just never been able to truly put it together.  He wasn’t bad, but at the time, he was the best option and didn’t really spark the team like we needed.

I hope this is all different, really I do.  I just think it’s much more likely that we are here as a board calling it chaos after 6 weeks (and really that’s not enough time to turn this around but face it, that’s how we are).

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Man, there are so many people drinking the kool aid in here.  Seems like everyone is excited about the Redskins again.  Ron Rivera, may or may not take a job here.  Dan Snyder is taking control of his ship.

im glad Allen is gone. 

But I don’t know how anyone musters up any optimism for this team anymore. The default setting for this organization under snyder is: dumpster fire

they’re going to have to prove they changed before I reconsider. 

a nice step would be not coming out the first 3-4 weeks and looking like unprepared trash. Dumb procedural penalties. Players looking lost. Etc. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

im glad Allen is gone. 

But I don’t know how anyone musters up any optimism for this team anymore. The default setting for this organization under snyder is: dumpster fire

they’re going to have to prove they changed before I reconsider. 

a nice step would be not coming out the first 3-4 weeks and looking like unprepared trash. Dumb procedural penalties. Players looking lost. Etc. 

That’s about where I fall.  I’m in the “prove it” camp.  I’m glad that things are changing, but I’m far from confident or even optimistic that they’ll improve.

Archived