Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The QB Thread- Change is Name of the QB game

88Comrade2000

• 4 weeks later...

The idea that Kyle can't develop a QB is absurd.

He makes things EXTREMELY easy for QBs with defined reads.

The real question is why did people ever think Lance was going to be good in the first place? 

He played 13 games in a middling conference, where he completed 55 percent of his passes. And he's not a freak athlete.

Kyle actually wanted Mac Jones -- that's who he traded up for and was talked out of it.

And if Kyle is giving him to his biggest rival... I mean, come on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

The real question is why did people ever think Lance was going to be good in the first place? 

He played 13 games in a middling conference, where he completed 55 percent of his passes. And he's not a freak athlete.

Kyle actually wanted Mac Jones -- that's who he traded up for and was talked out of it.

Absurd? Is it? I guess I'm just forgetting the long line of QBs Kyle has turned into gems.

All I can think of are Cousins and maybe Purdy (a little early on that). Those are QBs who should be pretty easy to tuen into decent guys. Guys with clean mechanics and solid passing skills. 

He was also handed two ridiculously talented QBs who quite clearly (to anyone with even a smidgen of football sense) needed development int heir mechanics and footwork. And in both cases his answer was tot tuen them into running gimmick QBs. Neither of them developed as passes at all under him.

It's obviously possible neither RG3 or Lance would have ever developed into great, or even good QBs. Especially in Griffin's case. But it's hard to look at what Kyle did with either of them developmentally as at all positive.

Also, if he got "talked out of" taking a better QB, that is entirely on him.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Hooper said:

Developing a QB doesn't mean creating a game plan that's easy for him, though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

The idea that a coach needs to "develop" a QB so that someone else can have success with him is absurd in itself. The coach's job is to get good results from his players while he's the coach. Kyle got good results. If Kyle can squeeze water from a rock and no other coaches can do it after him, that doesn't make Kyle's QB work a failure.

Kyle got perfect results from Purdy. He got a Super Bowl berth out of Garrapolo and I 100% believe he could have gotten one out of the three headed monster that was Lance, Garrapolo, and Purdy. He got one of the best seasons out of Matt Ryan's career. He gave RG3 a Rookie of the Year award with his offense. He got the best season of Matt Schaub's career.

I bashed Kyle in 2013, especially at the end of the season when RG3 got benched, Cousins played, and the games were so bad that even my local Virginia TV station pulled the games. I regret what I said of him. He made the most of his QBs, and I wish RG3 hadn't been the end of him here.

15 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Kyle’s record as a head coach is 52-46…with a top tier front office providing a top 10 defense almost every year.

49ers have had, imo some really bad luck regarding injuries. Even by whiny nfl fan standards. I legit feel bad for them sometimes. 

In related news.

17E2CF59-65D8-4221-A851-32132AFC7058.jpeg

image.gif.139d9e20cedacf25ede3dfeb7631e39f.gif

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The idea that a coach needs to "develop" a QB so that someone else can have success with him is absurd in itself.

I don't think anyone is saying that, though.

It's more that people are saying that Lance's failure to develop under Kyle shouldn't be surprising because he doesn't really have any track record of developing QBs.

Which, imo, makes trading so much to move up to grab a QB when Kyle's the coach a pretty stupid idea unless 1) the QB is one of the rare few who doesn't need developing, or 2) you already have an established QB coach on the team with a track record of developing QBs who will fill that role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2024 could see more change on the QB market.

Comms:  If Howell doesn't play well to earn the starting job in 24, we will probably be drafting a QB. Doubtful, we try free agency or trade again.

Boys:  Dak is signed until 24. He will want a new contract soon but if Dak underperforms, does Jerry just move on???

Packers:  If Love is a bust, Packers will need a QB.  Could go free agency or trade or maybe draft.

Vikings: They are likely moving on from Kirk after the season. How do they fill that spot?

Bears:  If Fields doesn't show dramatic improvement; Bears likely need a new QB again.

Bucs: Unless Bakers takes them to the playoffs, they will need a QB and may or may not go with Trask.

Falcons:  If Ridder doesn't do the job, Falcons may need a QB.

Cards: They are tanking to draft a QB.  Big cap hit with Murray but they may do it anyway.

Rams: Unless Stafford takes Rams to playoffs, Rams may need to look at QB of the future.

Raiders: Doubtful Jimmy lasts a season, Raiders may need a new QB.

Broncos: If Russ doesn't cook, Sean is moving on from him.

Titans: Will likely move on from Tannehill and go with their draft pick.

Browns: What if Watson doesn't return to form? 

Jets:  Will need that long term QB post Rodgers, is it Wilson? 

Pats: If Mac Jones doesn't improve, Pats maybe move on.

Dolphins: If Tua can't stay healthy, they likely move on.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:35 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

2024 could see more change on the QB market.

Packers:  If Love is a bust, Packers will need a QB.  Could go free agency or trade or maybe draft.

Just a quick note here, but rookie 5th round pick Sean Clifford has looked really good in pre-season, finishing second in completion percentage.  Still a lot of unknowns with him (O-line didn't allow a single sack, so we didn't get a good look at how he is when pressured; I'm sure he also was working from a limited playbook), but I think that if Love wasn't to be the future, Clifford would be given every chance to be the man.

Did throw two picks in the first game of preseason (and none after), but one of those he can hardly be blamed for as he hit the receiver in the hands only for the defender to wrestle it away.  The other is an example of him being under pressure as the O-line allowed a defender through the line untouched creating immediate pressure in a 3rd down situation.  So it was try to make a play or give up the ball.  Obviously it was the wrong choice, but a teachable moment.

Edited by PokerPacker

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since Aaron was supposedly 90% retired before his darkness retreat; he may just retire now. He’s likely done for the year and doubtful at his age; he will want to come back.

Jets owe him a lot of money, and unless ownership cuts him  backdoor deal this is likely an Alex Smith situation where you can retire and give up a lot of money... or get paid a lot of money to rehab, even if you don't really plan on continuing to play.

If this is a long term mega injury, A Rod can rehab for the next year+ and collect a check.