Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The QB Thread- Change is Name of the QB game

88Comrade2000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The quest for that franchise qb will be going strong next year. I think the veteran market will cool after busts like Russell Wilson.  Of course, the draft isn’t no gaurantee either but it’s cheaper.

Raiders- Do they stay with Jimmy G or if they have a Top 10 pick, draft a replacement?

Broncos- Russell is cooked. Despite the huge cap hit, they are moving on and likely drafting a replacement.

Titans- They May move on from Tannehill but already drafted his replacement this year, Will Levis.

Browns- haven’t gotten the Watson they traded for and they gave him that guaranteed. He gets that money regardless, so they will stick out with him for another year. Hoping 24 is better than what 23 is looking to be.

Pats- Mac Jones is a bust. Since Bill is likely to be gone after this season; next coach will be drafting a qb.

Jets- likely to ride with Aaron but maybe they draft someone in the lower rounds to take over, after Aaron is done.

Giants- After giving Jones all that money, will they take the cap pain and move on? Or hope he’s better in 24, if thing doesn’t get better the rest of this year.

Boys- Dak likely to let them down. Think he has one more year after this. I don’t see Dak getting an extension. Maybe they see what Lance can do next year and move on from Dak.

Comms- New coach will want his own qb to at least compete with Sam for starting job.

Vikings- they are moving on from Kirk; so need to draft a qb.

Packers- Love is showing he’s a bust. They will need to draft someone else.

Bears- Unless , Fields leads a turnaround; they will draft a qb.

Falcons- Ridder has to solidify his hold on the job or else they will look elsewhere.

Bucs- Mayfield is passing his one year audition so far. He may earn a new long term deal with Tampa.

Cards- Likely moving on from Murray, despite cap hit. Will look to draft a replacement.

I think the veteran qbs that will be on the market in 24, will find a tough market. The best a veteran qb can hope for is a situation like Tampa, where a vet gets a one year deal to prove himself.

On 10/14/2023 at 11:16 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Disagree.  He's got 0 experienced receivers (most experience comes from two 2nd year receivers that missed time last year to injury... one of whom has already missed time to injury this year), an injured o-line making him run for his life, and an injured game-breaking RB.  Oh, and a coach whose play-calling experience is mostly with Aaron Rodgers, who was pretty much his own play-caller anyways.  All of this is to say... we still don't know what we have in him just yet.  He's shown he has the tools to be successful (I know at least a couple weeks ago, he was near the bottom in completion percentage but 2nd in yards-through-the-air per attempt), but we need to see consistency, which is hard to get both as a first year starter himself, and having a ton of young receivers who haven't the experience to be trust-worthy with the full route-tree and are dropping critical catches on late-game would-be game-winning drives.

With that said, the Packers drafted Sean Clifford this past draft, and he looked surprisingly good in the preseason.  Unless Love fails so horribly the season a complete bust granting the team a pick where a can't-miss QB falls to them, I think Clifford would be given a shot before investing a top pick on another QB.

Edit: Interesting statistic I looked up in regards to Love under pressure.  According to PFF, he's been pressured on about 20% of his drop-backs, which is middle-of-the-pack... But he's only been blitzed 39 times, which is is 3rd fewest in the league; only the Bucs (38) and the Steelers (32) had fewer blitzes against, but the Bucs are only giving up pressure on 14% of drop backs (but the Steelers o-line is apparently awful and gives up pressure on 28% of drop backs good for 4th-worst despite the fewest blitzes).  The pressure has been getting there while the defense hasn't had to take a defender out of coverage to hurry up his throws.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 8:16 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

The quest for that franchise qb will be going strong next year. I think the veteran market will cool after busts like Russell Wilson.  Of course, the draft isn’t no gaurantee either but it’s cheaper.

Raiders- Do they stay with Jimmy G or if they have a Top 10 pick, draft a replacement?

Broncos- Russell is cooked. Despite the huge cap hit, they are moving on and likely drafting a replacement.

Titans- They May move on from Tannehill but already drafted his replacement this year, Will Levis.

Browns- haven’t gotten the Watson they traded for and they gave him that guaranteed. He gets that money regardless, so they will stick out with him for another year. Hoping 24 is better than what 23 is looking to be.

Pats- Mac Jones is a bust. Since Bill is likely to be gone after this season; next coach will be drafting a qb.

Jets- likely to ride with Aaron but maybe they draft someone in the lower rounds to take over, after Aaron is done.

Giants- After giving Jones all that money, will they take the cap pain and move on? Or hope he’s better in 24, if thing doesn’t get better the rest of this year.

Boys- Dak likely to let them down. Think he has one more year after this. I don’t see Dak getting an extension. Maybe they see what Lance can do next year and move on from Dak.

Comms- New coach will want his own qb to at least compete with Sam for starting job.

Vikings- they are moving on from Kirk; so need to draft a qb.

Bears- Unless , Fields leads a turnaround; they will draft a qb.

Falcons- Ridder has to solidify his hold on the job or else they will look elsewhere.

Bucs- Mayfield is passing his one year audition so far. He may earn a new long term deal with Tampa.

Cards- Likely moving on from Murray, despite cap hit. Will look to draft a replacement.

I think the veteran qbs that will be on the market in 24, will find a tough market. The best a veteran qb can hope for is a situation like Tampa, where a vet gets a one year deal to prove himself.

I agree.

The jig is just about up for the midlding entitled veteran QB taking up 10-15% of teams cap.

Would love for these contracts to be more incentive driven for this level of QB. Who knows, maybe someday. 

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I guess they're down a QB, so they need a QB, even if you aren't expecting him to make you a winning team.  If they lost the backup QB for the season they'd need to find a replacement, too.

I still wouldn't do it. Without Cousins, their season is shot. The general consensus is that the team is moving on from Kirk. Sure would be something if Dobbs' mediocrity pushes them even further out of a prime QB drafting position. Maybe they'll even get lucky and make the Wild Card round and get crushed like a tin can afterwards and have that warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing "at least we were there".

If I were the Vikings, I ride or die with untested rookies. Maybe one of them goes on a Purdy streak and gives a replacement QB alternative. Or they play the team into a top 10 pick. Either one works..

Edited by NickyJ

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The hive has risen again. Good thing they will now annoy Falcons fans. 

I saw this coming from the moment the Falcons picked him up.  He's a good backup, but not the right choice when you're trying to develop a rookie QB.

You want someone like Heinicke on your bench to come in and steal a couple games if your franchise QB gets injured.

Edited by Tsailand

Desperation leads to costly qb mistakes.

We did it with Fitzmagic and Wentz and Smith.

Broncos did it with Wilson.

Browns top it by giving Watson guaranteed money.  He was suspended most of 22 and they got little from him, when he returned.  This year he's played little and already he's done for the year. 2 wasted years.  If he doesn't come back and returns to form in 24; biggest mistake ever at QB probably.  What's funny, Browns are in playoff hunt but are winning more due to their defense.