Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

Smith could be in a strong position to build the Redskins. The team has the second overall pick in the draft and could easily go into free agency with more than $90 million in salary cap space. There are still plenty of questions, particularly at offensive line, where both Redskins starting guards are pending free agents (Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers) and star left tackle Trent Williams sat out the 2019 season. 

With Smith heading personnel and Rob Rogers now running contracts, the Redskins are prepared for the offseason. Alex Santos remains in his role as the director of pro personnel, a source confirmed, while Tim Gribble could be in line for a promotion. Gribble had served as assistant director of college scouting under Smith. 

It's worth noting, too, that while Rivera and Smith haven't worked together in the NFL, Rivera worked with A.J. Smith during his time with the Chargers. Rivera was the defensive coordinator then in San Diego from 2008 to 2010, and A.J. Smith, Kyle's dad, was the general manager. 

Plenty of speculation pointed to Rivera and the Redskins finding a new general manager after the NFL Draft in April. If Smith performs well in the next few months, that could change. 

Man this is great ****ing news! The thing that would have most demoralized my renewed hope at this stage would have been losing Kyle Smith. Not only are we keeping him, but he's been promoted and will now have a say over our FA acquisitions. Super looking forward to the moves our new Front Office will be making in March and April this year.

28 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

@actorguy1 Cooley has been good at breaking down tape. Is that what a quality control coach does?

I was under the impression that QC coach is basically an analytics job.  You watch a lot of film, which is up Cooley's alley, but then you're putting together databases and spreadsheets on trends and analyzing the data.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Good.  I could see Cooley's involvement leading to a lot of leaks if things went poorly.

Agreed, I don't want Cooley to join the coaching staff.   I loved him as a player and I enjoy listening to him, but I think him joining the staff could be problematic.

Anyone who thinks Cooley wants to put in QC hours is crazy lol. And at less than his current salary I'm sure. Those are the true grind-your-way-up positions. His life is much better and easier as a radio guy, I doubt he wants to get into NFL coaching that bad. 

Maybe if someone would let him start as an assistant TE coach somewhere, he'd make the jump. It shouldn't be us.

16 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anyone who thinks Cooley wants to put in QC hours is crazy lol. And at less than his current salary I'm sure. Those are the true grind-your-way-up positions. His life is much better and easier as a radio guy, I doubt he wants to get into NFL coaching that bad. 

Maybe if someone would let him start as an assistant TE coach somewhere, he'd make the jump. It shouldn't be us.

I'm not even sure I'd like him to be some kind of wiener Qualtiy control coach...

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Kyle Smith, the man who believes in Montez more than anyone else in the world, our fearless leader.

Not saying Sweat was amazing this year, but he did have 7 sacks which is 5th among all rookies, and of the 4 in front of hin only Maxx Crosby was picked after him. Also had more tackles than the 4 with more sacks and accounted for 2 forced fumbles.

in a 4-3 scheme he should be even better. I wouldn't judge this pick yet (even though I'd love to have our 2nd round pick back)

Archived