Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

A lot of bold statements being thrown around about Ron being a disaster from just a select few who can't seem to move on, I don't know how anyone can make such outrageous claims so early in his tenure here.

Its coming off as weird, like an obsession.

It's even worse on Twitter. Those OSU and Haskins fans are hardcore and they've developed a hatred for Ron. Poor Ron inherited the statistically worst qb in the league who didn't get any better this year. I was watching the Herd this morning and they were criticizing Ron saying it is "universally accepted that Haskins benching was premature". I just don't get it. It seemed obvious to me he was going to get benched if he didn't play better. 

1 hour ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I disagree. I think his play and stats on the field were the main driver of his benching. His maturity, lack of preparation and work ethic were the reason it was such a quick hook and demoted to 3rd string inactive. If he was playing better he wouldn't have been benched, imo. You can work on maturity issues with a good qb.

I kinda feel the opposite. Footwork/mechanics, reading defenses, decision making, etc can all be improved with hard work and dedication (this is especially true of rookies). But if a guy doesn't have that work ethic and maturity needed to put in the work to remedy those flaws in fundamentals and on-field play, then you're much worse off. IMO poor work ethic and maturity issues can be improved, but I think they're much harder to drastically improve because those tend to be ingrained character things as opposed to just bad physical habits to be changed via repetition and muscle memory. 

Now, if Haskins had these work ethic and maturity issues and was also going out there and just killing it with natural talent, I agree that Rivera wouldn't have benched him and would have had more patience with those character flaws. Likewise, I think if Haskins had been playing poorly but had also demonstrated great work ethic and maturity and was demonstrably working very hard on correcting his flaws, I also don't think Rivera would have benched him.

But I think the combination of poor play but the potential character/work ethic issues was a nail in the coffin.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Me too, because leaking this stuff provides him absolutely no value.  I can't even comprehend how it would be beneficial for Rivera to depreciate his asset.

Why isn't the new team President, the one tasked with changing the culture, getting any blame for these leaks?  Why does it all fall at Rivera's feet?

The answer to that is obvious: Rivera is the one who benched Haskins.  So he has to be the bad guy in these people's eyes.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Me too, because leaking this stuff provides him absolutely no value.  I can't even comprehend how it would be beneficial for Rivera to depreciate his asset.

Yep.  Rivera isn't stupid.  If you want to unload a player, you don't devalue the market for said player.  If I had to guess the leak is probably someone or multiple people in that FO who didn't love the pick from the jump and wanted to defend Rivera's move to reporters they know. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I kinda feel the opposite. Footwork/mechanics, reading defenses, decision making, etc can all be improved with hard work and dedication (this is especially true of rookies). But if a guy doesn't have that work ethic and maturity needed to put in the work to remedy those flaws in fundamentals and on-field play, then you're much worse off. IMO poor work ethic and maturity issues can be improved, but I think they're much harder to drastically improve because those tend to be ingrained character things as opposed to just bad physical habits to be changed via repetition and muscle memory. 

Now, if Haskins had these work ethic and maturity issues and was also going out there and just killing it with natural talent, I agree that Rivera wouldn't have benched him and would have had more patience with those character flaws. Likewise, I think if Haskins had been playing poorly but had also demonstrated great work ethic and maturity and was demonstrably working very hard on correcting his flaws, I also don't think Rivera would have benched him.

But I think the combination of poor play but the potential character/work ethic issues was a nail in the coffin.

The last sentence really is the only thing that matters. Bad play and bad work ethic is a recipe for a quick benching. But terrible play, worst in the nfl play can be a reason to be benched even if you have great work ethic. His demotion to 3rd string inactive and rons comments and lack of comments is what makes me believe there is a combination of bad play and bad work ethic.

17 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

It's even worse on Twitter. Those OSU and Haskins fans are hardcore and they've developed a hatred for Ron. Poor Ron inherited the statistically worst qb in the league who didn't get any better this year. I was watching the Herd this morning and they were criticizing Ron saying it is "universally accepted that Haskins benching was premature". I just don't get it. It seemed obvious to me he was going to get benched if he didn't play better. 

From the outside looking in maybe it does seem premature but what's crazy to me is how people are willing to gang up on a coach with a 35 year history of doing things the right way over a 23 yr old player, I don't get it.  There's obviously more to the story than what has been disclosed and Ron doesn't feel that full disclosure will have a positive effect on Dwayne or the team, at least that's my impression.

13 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

The last sentence really is the only thing that matters. Bad play and bad work ethic is a recipe for a quick benching. But terrible play, worst in the nfl play can be a reason to be benched even if you have great work ethic. His demotion to 3rd string inactive and rons comments and lack of comments is what makes me believe there is a combination of bad play and bad work ethic.

There are 32 NFL QB jobs. At best 15 to 20 people on earth do the job well. Their age ranges from early twenties to past 40. So approximately on average 1 person or less a year enters the NFL with an ability to be in that group. It’s the hardest position in all of sports. Haskins simply can’t do it. Only 15 to 20 people in the world can. He’s done. He is historically bad at it. All the hope and wishes in the world won’t change that fact. He will never be one of the 15 to 20. The odds were against him to begin with. His crap attitude and inaccuracy throwing the ball sealed it. 

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I work in a public eye profession where we got multiple people working for the candidate.  The candidate doesn't have to sanction leaks or even be a part of it.  All of us have our own contacts in the media and can leak something if we choose and the media would protect us as a source.

My point is from my own experience with the media and working with multiple people including factoring myself with our own media contacts -- the candidate on occasion are pushing the leaks but often the candidate has no idea that its happening.

So I am not running with the point that Rivera is leaking this stuff or asked others to leak it.  If anything I'd bet against it. 

That’s my fault, I should’ve been more clear: I was comparing how Ron communicated his position with Haskins and Jay his position on RG3. Jay shared what he thought were the issues with RG3 directly versus Ron sharing that his teammates were struggling on the sidelines with the play of Haskins. The point being Ron was using the team as reason for a potential change at QB. 

I’m truly not up in arms about it and lean towards what you’ve shared about not needing him to be great in the media, but these handlings can hurt you in years 2 and 3. Right now, most of the fan base is in your place and that being the team is bad and Ron needs time. I agree with this, but have some questions with the process of getting there. I acknowledge we’re very much in the micro of a macro culture shift. 

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  Rivera isn't stupid.  If you want to unload a player, you don't devalue the market for said player.  If I had to guess the leak is probably someone or multiple people in that FO who didn't love the pick from the jump and wanted to defend Rivera's move to reporters they know. 

Underestimating ego in all of this. It could just be ego and not giving a damn about the rest. Complete conjecture, but I’ve seen enough from Ron to see emotions play a significant role and in how he operates, which ties into his ego. Some definite confirmation bias going with myself as this was my #1 concern from day 1 of deciding to go with the coach centric model. 

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

That’s my fault, I should’ve been more clear: I was comparing how Ron communicated his position with Haskins and Jay his position on RG3. Jay shared what he thought were the issues with RG3 directly versus Ron sharing that his teammates were struggling on the sidelines with the play of Haskins. The point being Ron was using the team as reason for a potential change at QB. 

A key part of his message keeps get omitting though.

He added that he had an unfair off season, he has an NFL arm, the other dudes are just more well versed in the offense as they should be, and he hasn't giving up on him. 

I don't know why the 2nd part keeps being removed out of the discussion.  The 2nd part is Rivera giving Haskins an out.  Yeah if Rivera never said the other stuff it would come off harsh.  And frankly I wouldn't care if he did say it without the disclaimer.  But for those who seem sensitive on Haskins behalf about those comments -- you have to factor ALL the comments.  He gave Haskins an out.  That was pretty nice considering if all the other stories are true about how he really feels.

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Underestimating ego in all of this. It could just be ego and not giving a damn about the rest. Complete conjecture, but I’ve seen enough from Ron to see emotions play a significant role and in how he operates, which ties into his ego. Some definite confirmation bias going with myself as this was my #1 concern from day 1 of deciding to go with the coach centric model. 

Everyone has an ego.  But digesting a lot about Rivera when he came aboard, I don't get the vibe of leaking nasty things via the media is how he rolls.  He is seem to be considered by most as a super nice guy -- mega integrity.  And yeah from my experience with the media, I'd seriously doubt Rivera is the leak or sanctioned the leak but no way to know. 

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How does his ego play into leaking that Haskins has work ethic issues?  

I guess I'm just confused as to why folks want this to be about Ron leaking this information, or that he's somehow immediately instilled a poor culture of leaks.   People talk - scouts, execs, coaches, players, etc.  This stuff could be coming from anywhere.  Even places that have great culture, still have things that get out 'anonymously'.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A key part of his message keeps get omitting though.

He added that he had an unfair off season, he has an NFL arm, the other dudes are just more well versed in the offense as they should be, and he hasn't giving up on him. 

I don't know why the 2nd part keeps being removed out of the discussion.  The 2nd part is Rivera giving Haskins an out.  Yeah if Rivera never said the other stuff it would come off harsh.  And frankly I wouldn't care if he did say it without the disclaimer.  But for those who seem sensitive on Haskins behalf about those comments -- you have to factor ALL the comments.  He gave Haskins an out.  That was pretty nice considering if all the other stories are true about how he really feels.

Everyone has an ego.  But digesting a lot about Rivera when he came aboard, I don't get the vibe of leaking nasty things via the media is how he rolls.  He is seem to be considered by most as a super nice guy -- mega integrity.  And yeah from my experience with the media, I'd seriously doubt Rivera is the leak or sanctioned the leak but no way to know. 

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How does his ego play into leaking that Haskins has work ethic issues?  

I guess I'm just confused as to why folks want this to be about Ron leaking this information, or that he's somehow immediately instilled a poor culture or leaks.   People talk - scouts, execs, coaches, players, etc.  This stuff could be coming from anywhere.  Even places that have great culture, still have things that get out 'anonymously'

Personally, I’m not factoring the leaks into my micro opinion about all that’s gone on with Ron as the leader of the Washington franchise or am I just basing my concerns off of the decision to bench Haskins. The overall approach to the season is different than I had expected Ron to have and just seems like one excuse after another, IMO. My expectations were invalid and that’s on me, so I’m continuing to feel it out and observe. 

Admittedly, it’s just not how I roll in life, but I also understand it’s not a right or wrong thing, and that  I’ve experienced personal failure due to not always looking at the whole picture and burning out by avoiding excuses and highlighting personal responsibility every day. 

Just please spare me excuses in year two, it serves me no value as a selfish fan. Working to accept them this year and jump on board it being a lost season. 

No conclusions have been made, just observing and sharing conscious thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

GAAAHHH i was trying to get onto twitter for ten minutes to get that tweet and share it here! And then when I’m finally able to, someone had to have already done that...I don’t  like you 😂    

but yeah, that’s stupid of him. At least act like you care, dude! 

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

Yep, clearly this is everyone against Simba and has nothing at all to do with maturity.

I sense some sarcasm there :) 

for me, I’ve been on haskins side in a few things, and against him in others. This? This is just immature. Teams have rules for a reason. Don’t like it? Leave (Haskins, not you, just making that clear!)

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I sense some sarcasm there :) 

for me, I’ve been on haskins side in a few things, and against him in others. This? This is just immature. Teams have rules for a reason. Don’t like it? Leave (Haskins, not you, just making that clear!)

Yeah, I mean I'm just frustrated that some can't seem to accept that the guy might be talented but also seem to have retained the maturity of a high schooler. There are just too many examples of his maturity being an issue and I think it's been ridiculous to act like multiple coaching staffs just wanted to see him fail or whatever the prevailing theories are with those that seem to still be infatuated with Simba.

9 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Yep, clearly this is everyone against Simba and has nothing at all to do with maturity.

Or it could be a calculated move to off the the immune comprised coach who benched him and who is receiving chemo and proton therapy. If the stomach flu didn’t get him, step up the game. Maybe the dog was a practice run. Who knows. Haskins seems like more of a Scar than a Simba. 😂 

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Or it could be a calculated move to off the the immune comprised coach who benched him and who is receiving chemo and proton therapy. If the stomach flu didn’t get him, step up the game. Maybe the dog was a practice run. Who knows. Haskins seems like more of a Scar than a Simba. 😂 

I think you’re on to something here :) sneaky move, haskins....sneaky move. 

27 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Ugh yet another manipulative GAME from the absolute SNAKE Rivera, probably set Haskins up as another stupid test to have an excuse to keep him inactive what a disaster from day one!!

"The man!!!"

Ha ha ha

"Hes good."

“Who would trade anything of great value for Dwayne Haskins?” King told NBC Sports Washington. “He’s worth more to Washington right now than he is to almost anybody else. There could be a general manager out there who says, ‘You know, I really like Dwayne Haskins in the draft from 2019,’ but everything I heard on draft night when he went 15th overall to Washington, everything I heard is, ‘Whoa, boy that’s a risk by Daniel Snyder....“I don’t think anybody out there is lusting after Dwayne Haskins 

Archived