Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, IrepDC said:

Tweets determining football moves? 

It would be the same if Haskins tweeted it himself. You don’t undermine coaching decision in the media and you don’t throw your teammates under the bus when you are a team captain. Having your agent do it is actually worse. Not man enough to even speak for yourself.

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So when is Apke getting benched?  Or is he "sticking with the young guy"?

Just curious for those who hate the call and question Rivera's judgment in this.  Out on Rivera?  or maybe its just questionable now?

I am asking because i think Paulsen is making a good point now on 106.7, this is a big call from Rivera, so I think for some its testing what their feelings about him are.

This move to me isn't just Haskins centric but very Rivera centric. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We won’t know for sure unless we get a leak but 100% in my opinion. An agent can’t make a peep with the players consent. He’s his attorney and ethically bound in the way he represent his client. I think this was Haskins being told to limit his social media posts, his deleted Instagram post last week being an example, then passive aggressively putting out his view through his agent. Ron is not going to put up with that nonsense.

Somebody (can't remember who) said earlier in the thread that Haskins should either be benched or released after that tweet. I vehemently disagreed with him being released, but said nothing about him being benched lol...I can see the positives from Rivera taking this action.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

It would be the same if Haskins tweeted it himself. You don’t undermine coaching decision in the media and you don’t throw your teammates under the bus when you are a team captain. Having your agent do it is actually worse. Not man enough to even speak for yourself.

Why do our players constantly feel defensive here? Why is the environment always to blame a player instead of accountability across the board?

We always do this. We never develop talent. We are the team players want to come back and play well against, and usually do, because our team culture is trash.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You were very patient with Bruce and gave him the benefit of the doubt and got annoyed in these debates with some (you were polite about it though) who were impatient with him and didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.  And that went on for years.  

Ron on the other hand has been here less than a year.  Why go negative on Rivera for dismissing Haskins or any player?   No one is above the team.  I got a massive man crush on certain players but if they had a reason to cut bait or bench him or whatever, I'd go for that ride.   I loved Guice, Rivera cut him quickly, i didn't complain.  I figure Rivera knows a lot more about Guice's character than I do. i wasn't wild on them releasing Peterson but I also said on that i'll judge it by how it ends albeit here are my concerns now.   But I didn't blast Rivera for the decision. 

Eventually, my trust for Rivera might wane if they struggled for years and his decisions backfired.  But I am not doing it from the jump. 

Why am I down on Rivera? He is sending mixed messages. If we're all about win now and not developing players, why didn't we sign a FS like Reid or Thomas instead of playing Apke? Why did we cut Peterson instead of keeping Barber? Why did we not keep Trent? Why did we not keep Reed? Why did we not keep Dunbar? Why did we not keep Flowers? 

I could get behind all these moves because I was all about developing our players. We are a young team and a young team is going to make mistakes. I understood that and I had patience. 

But all of a sudden we are hearing all these 'rumors' going into the Baltimore game. Immediately after Cleveland he's adament that's my QB. Then he's like clock's ticking. Then he wonders why Haskins plays cautious against Baltimore - cautious and still manages to get 300+ yards. Then Rivera comes out and publicly - in a press conference, not in a private meeting, not in a discussion with coaches, but publicly - comes out and says that Haskins failed the test. He doesn't call out JMC for fumbling on the second drive. He doesn't call out special teams for giving up the fake punt. He doesn't call out Collins or Anderson for giving up that long run. No, he singles out one player and benches him as if its all that guy's fault. 

So heck yeah I'm frustrated. At least when Gibbs benched Ramsey it was done with class. Not a bad word was said about Ramsey. At least when Shanny traded Campbell he didn't say bad things about him. But we can't say the same things about how Rivera did Haskins. And that's frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Question: Does this move happen if Rivera doesn't believe the offense is capable of being better based on the film?  For me, I think there is a major difference between a young QB developing on a mediocre team and growing with them versus an offense that is capable of making moves but has a QB holding them back.   4 Games in the conclusion I have to assume as of right now is that Rivera is seeing enough in the film sessions that he believes Haskins play specifically is holding the team back.  If that is the case, let's say you are the coach and you feel with better QB play you could be 2-2 or 3-1 even, how long do you let losses pile up before you make this move? 

I'm one of the few that believes the offense is far better than what Haskins supporters are claiming it is. Will be interesting to see what it's like with Allen. Can't wait honestly, I think we have some weapons and this might be fun.

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Question is if its because Haskins is pouting or because coaching staff set it up that way or both... 

Is that even a legit question? Do you actually think he wasn’t pouting? Come on dude.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Somebody (can't remember who) said earlier in the thread that Haskins should either be benched or released after that tweet. I vehemently disagreed with him being released, but said nothing about him being benched lol...I can see the positives from Rivera taking this action.

I’m pretty sure I said it. 

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Why do our players constantly feel defensive here? Why is the environment always to blame a player instead of accountability across the board?

We always do this. We never develop talent. We are the team players want to come back and play well against, and usually do, because our team culture is trash.

Well, considering Haskins was hand picked by Snyder, to a lame duck coach who also didn’t want him and a front office that didn’t want him... and then passed to the new regime who, while giving him a shot, really didn’t want him... can you not see why this was likely to happen? Some of us have been saying this stuff for months and months and months.

People ignored it and here we are. No one should be surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I do wonder if the move would be made this soon if the rest of the division wasn't complete dog ****. I have to think some players are starting to get frustrated thinking playoffs would be a possibility with a halfway capable starting QB.

That's a losers mindset. Winning teams, every player focuses on doing their job. We give guys scapegoats to point the finger hence mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Well, considering Haskins was hand picked by Snyder, to a lame duck coach who also didn’t want him and a front office that didn’t want him... and then passed to the new regime who, while giving him a shot, really didn’t want him... can you not see why this was likely to happen? Some of us have been saying this stuff for months and months and months.

People ignored it and here we are. No one should be surprised. 

Dysfunctional culture is what you described. Thats not on Haskins. Accountability is harder than repeating this same cycle though.

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I don't disagree with all that.  The culture has been trash.  Fans regularly conclude that X coach, X player, etc. is awful pretty early on.

However, 'talent' is a very wide open term.  There were a lot of folks, not just in DC, that didn't seem to think Dwayne was all that talented to begin with.  I don't think we'll be watching a 30 for 30 on Dwayne 15 years from now about how he's the one who got away.

I have yet to see any of the crew that supports Haskins answer these questions... I’ve asked several times now...

1) you’re on a team and the QBs family/agent tweets what Haskins agent tweeted... how you feeling?

2) After you answer with “probably not great”, what’s the next step for the coach knowing there’s a locker room problem?

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

That's a losers mindset. Winning teams, every player focuses on doing their job. We give guys scapegoats to point the finger hence mediocrity. 

Every coach faces the possibility of losing the locker room. And, I'm sorry, the tweet from his agent on Sunday didn't help his cause.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just curious for those who hate the call and question Rivera's judgment in this.  Out on Rivera?  or maybe its just questionable now?

I am asking because i think Paulsen is making a good point now on 106.7, this is a big call from Rivera, so I think for some its testing what their feelings about him are.

This move to me isn't just Haskins centric but very Rivera centric. 

If this wasn't so inconsistent with so many of his other moves since becoming HC, I would be a lot more okay with it.  But the real idiocy here is that Rivera doesn't seem to know what he wants - to win now or to rebuild.  This lack of vision is going to severely hurt our franchise moving forward.

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I do wonder if the move would be made this soon if the rest of the division wasn't complete dog ****. I have to think some players are starting to get frustrated thinking playoffs would be a possibility with a halfway capable starting QB.

I think that's the reason he pulled the trigger faster than he would have if the Cowboys were 4-0 and clearly the front runners for the east. But since he feels the division is up for grabs, he's going to play for it. I love it. That's the winning culture I was hoping from him.

Archived