Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Wait, her stats had us at #32?

Last season we were #22 in rushing yards, #13 in YPC, and #26 in TD's.  Her stats must be entirely based on proven production in the NFL.  So Love returning, drafting Gibson, etc wouldn't move the needle at all.

Hmm, we were #31 in total run plays.  So if her stats are using Haskins relief performances where he was thrown into a sewer by Jay Gruden with equal weight to how he developed as the season went on, then yeah...her stats would show an offense that almost never ran the ball, without the production of Chris Thompson and instead two players that don't have an NFL touch to their name.  Then again Adrian Peterson's YPC last year was right around NFL average, so that should have boosted the rankings.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah Moses isn't amazing but he's a solid player who isn't super expensive. I don't think we should be surprised that a guy like Sweat beat him. As others have mentioned, I think some people are underestimating Sweat and forgetting what a ludicrous athlete he is. He isn't as bendy or fluid as Chase but he is generally on the same level in terms of raw athleticism IMO. 6'6 260 lb guys who run 4.41 40s and 1.50 10 yard splits do not grow on trees. 

I'd add that from what I observed pass rushers with quick get off-speed give Moses more problems.  To me Moses is at best going against power rusher types like Kerrigan.   Guys like Sweat and Young I think would give him fits. 

34 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Skins have zero issue at RT. Moses can be relied upon to hold down the right side without help. His value to the team is greatly undervalued around these parts. I get it on some level if a person were to say he’s paid $1-3 million too much(currently paid top 5-7 RT money). He’s comparable to Ryan Kerrigan. 

I think Moses is OK, I wouldn't compare him to Kerrigan though.  Kerrigan has been better than solid-durable.  Kerrigan has been one of the best pass rushers in the league albeit never elite.  But Kerrigan will make an occasion top 100 players in the league ranking and pro bowl status.  That would be laughable for Moses.    But Moses is durable and solid.  We can count on him.   But he's far from anything special.  You can count on him to more or less give up 4 sacks a year and be up there as one of the more penalized players.   But for a team where it's not easy to find players who are durable, Moses has been a godsend. 

37 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah Moses isn't amazing but he's a solid player who isn't super expensive. I don't think we should be surprised that a guy like Sweat beat him. As others have mentioned, I think some people are underestimating Sweat and forgetting what a ludicrous athlete he is. He isn't as bendy or fluid as Chase but he is generally on the same level in terms of raw athleticism IMO. 6'6 260 lb guys who run 4.41 40s and 1.50 10 yard splits do not grow on trees. 

If he has hands, I still say he needs to be moved to TE or even WR.  Once he has the ball, every CB and S would emulate Deion Sanders.  Heck, he's big and strong enough to grab a DB with one arm and carry him into the end zone.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

You also must explore the situation at practice. Often times the Olineman are at a disadvantage in practice situations. 

Annnnd... everyone gets beat. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add that from what I observed pass rushers with quick get off-speed give Moses more problems.  To me Moses is at best going against power rusher types like Kerrigan.   Guys like Sweat and Young I think would give him fits. 

He’s a fixture on right side that allows the OC to scheme up a game plan without having to worry about his side. He will compete. This is extremely valuable. 

I think Moses is OK, I wouldn't compare him to Kerrigan though.  Kerrigan has been better than solid-durable.  Kerrigan has been one of the best pass rushers in the league albeit never elite.  But Kerrigan will make an occasion top 100 players in the league ranking and pro bowl status.  That would be laughable for Moses.    But Moses is durable and solid.  We can count on him.   But he's far from anything special.  You can count on him to more or less give up 4 sacks a year and be up there as one of the more penalized players.   But for a team where it's not easy to find players who are durable, Moses has been a godsend. 

I don’t put a lot of stock in the number of penalties for an Olineman. Many lock in on this stat for Olineman, because it provides a tangible number to a position filled with subjectivity. 

What’s the real difference between 11 penalties and 8? Also, what type of penalties are they? When in the game did they take place? What player was it against? Did the guard miss an assignment that caused the RT to hold. Did the QB hold the ball too long or fail to step up? Was it actually a bad call by the ref? 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I don’t put a lot of stock in the number of penalties for an Olineman. Many lock in on this stat for Olineman, because it provides a tangible number to a position filled with subjectivity. 

What’s the real difference between 11 penalties and 8? Also, what type of penalties are they? When in the game did they take place? What player was it against? Did the guard miss an assignment that caused the RT to hold. Did the QB hold the ball too long or fail to step up? Was it actually a bad call by the ref? 

For him its been often false starts.  Cooley likes to joke that if they called it on him every time he did it the number of penalties would be much worse.  With Moses specifically there isn't much nuance in watching these penalties.   To me it comes off like he knows he is slower than some of the speedy pass rusher types and is trying to jump the gun on it so they don't quickly dart past him.

I don't dislike Moses.  Moses is all right.  I mainly disagreed with your comparison of him as a player to Kerrigan.    Kerrigan IMO is a good to very good player.  Moses to me is average to decent as a player.  But like I said he's a warrior and I do value his durability.  

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

You also must explore the situation at practice. Often times the Olineman are at a disadvantage practice situations. 

Annnnd... it goes without mention that everyone gets beat. 

Yeah I was watching an interview with Joe Thomas a while back and he mentioned that one of the toughest things about being OL is that every game you're judged on your worst play. So if you've been playing great all game but then you get beat badly once, people remember that. Sort of the opposite for DL. People only tend to remember their best plays but not the other 15 times they got blocked successfully. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For him its been often false starts.  Cooley likes to joke that if they called it on him every time he did it the number of penalties would be much worse.  With Moses specifically there isn't much nuance in watching these penalties.   To me it comes off like he knows he is slower than some of the speedy pass rusher types and is trying to jump the gun on it so they don't quickly dart past him.

I don't dislike Moses.  Moses is all right.  I mainly disagreed with your comparison of him as a player to Kerrigan.    Kerrigan IMO is a good to very good player.  Moses to me is average to decent as a player.  But like I said he's a warrior and I do value his durability.  

It’s tough for an Olineman to get his due unless very good to elite. I value greatly the average to above guys. 

Moses doesn’t have a stat like sacks to compile that provide a tangible number for the masses to associate his level of play. If Moses had a sack number throughout his career for the Oline position it wouldn’t be far off from Kerrigan. 

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I was watching an interview with Joe Thomas a while back and he mentioned that one of the toughest things about being OL is that every game you're judged on your worst play. So if you've been playing great all game but then you get beat badly once, people remember that. Sort of the opposite for DL. People only tend to remember their best plays but not the other 15 times they got blocked successfully. 

In many practice settings the Dline gets to go full speed without any regard for other responsibilities that take place in a game. 

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Moses doesn’t have a stat like sacks to compile that provide a tangible number for the masses to associate his level of play.

Yeah the closest stat to that ironically is giving up sacks.  He gave up 5 last year.  Moses is fine but not IMO the O line version of Kerrigan. 

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If Moses had a sack number throughout his career for the Oline position it wouldn’t be far off from Kerrigan. 

Disagree.  If Kerrigan were an O lineman, I'd compare him to Brandon Scherff aside from durability.  Scherff isn't one of the top 5 guards in the league but he's in that next group.    It wouldn't be ridiculous to visualize Scherff in a pro bowl, just like it wouldn't be ridiculous to visualize Kerrigan in the pro bowl.  It would be stunning to see Moses in the pro bowl.  Not that the pro bowl is the be all and end all but my point is Moses isn't in conversation for being one of the best RTs in the league.  Scherff and Kerrigan are at least on the periphery of that conversation.

Again, i am not slamming Moses.  I like him.  But either IMO you are overvaluing Moses abilities or undervaluing Kerrigan.  

Kerrigan this season is going to become the Redskins all time sack leader.  He's about 3 seasons away from likely breaking into the NFL's top 20 all time for sacks.    Kerrigan quietly has the potential to be a hall of famer.  It might sound wild for some of us because yeah he's not electric.  But he's been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the NFL for a long time sans last season.    I just don't see Moses being a good comparison apples to apples to Kerrigan, that's all.   And that's not an attack on Moses. It's that i don't see Moses as a borderline Hall of Famer who has been consistently one of the best in the league at their spot.  

NFL sacks leaders in the last three years: Chandler Jones 40.5, Khalil Mack 36.5, Von Miller 34.5, Ryan Kerrigan 33.5, Everson Griffen 31.5. 

Yeah the closest stat to that ironically is giving up sacks.  He gave up 5 last year.  Moses is fine but not IMO the O line version of Kerrigan. 

Would 5 sacks given up equal a 10 sack season for DE?

Disagree.  If Kerrigan were an O lineman, I'd compare him to Brandon Scherff aside from durability.  Scherff isn't one of the top 5 guards in the league but he's in that next group.    It wouldn't be ridiculous to visualize Scherff in a pro bowl, just like it wouldn't be ridiculous to visualize Kerrigan in the pro bowl.  It would be stunning to see Moses in the pro bowl.  Not that the pro bowl is the be all and end all but my point is Moses isn't in conversation for being one of the best RTs in the league.  Scherff and Kerrigan are at least on the periphery of that conversation.

Scherff hasn’t accomplished what either have as far as longevity and availability. I believe Scherff is a top talent at the G spot and if healthy and team were a contender he’d be in mix for All Pro. Has to get health right though. 

I wonder how many RTs have made the pro bowl when their team is mostly below average and sometimes average?

Again, i am not slamming Moses.  I like him.  But either IMO you are overvaluing Moses abilities or undervaluing Kerrigan.

I’ll concede that Kerrigan is a step above Moses. 

I very much value Moses and can see how one might say over value. Just want him to continue being average to above average (when healthy he’s above average to good) while playing every game (over 80 straight games now). 

Kerrigan this season is going to become the Redskins all time sack leader.  He's about 3 seasons away from likely breaking into the NFL's top 20 all time for sacks.    Kerrigan quietly has the potential to be a hall of famer.  It might sound wild for some of us because yeah he's not electric.  But he's been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the NFL for a long time sans last season.    I just don't see Moses being a good comparison apples to apples to Kerrigan, that's all.   And that's not an attack on Moses. It's that i don't see Moses as a borderline Hall of Famer who has been consistently one of the best in the league at their spot.  

NFL sacks leaders in the last three years: Chandler Jones 40.5, Khalil Mack 36.5, Von Miller 34.5, Ryan Kerrigan 33.5, Everson Griffen 31.5. 

Cool story. No way Kerrigan is a Hall of famer. Take a look at the plight of Kevin Greene to reach the Hall. I suppose if Kerrigan has 8 double digit sack season after the age of 30 he might get in around his 15th year of eligibility like Greene.

On the flip side, I wonder what a RT would have to do to make the Hall? Who’s the last 4-5 RTs that have been elected? Such a undervalued position in the game by media and fans. The percentages of a RT making the hall versus a DE is about a 100 times less likely. 

Once again, I’ll concede and say Kerrigan is half or full step above Moses. So good he’ll be a rotational DE this year ;) lol

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is it kinda odd that Chandler Jones doesn't get more recognition ?

Yeah.  A consequence of his team.  He was much more prominent when he was in New England even though he got way better in Arizona.  60 sacks in four years is a HoF track, but he hasn't gotten the popular run that JJ Watt and Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have gotten.

Reminds me of the way Larry Fitzgerald's career has played out.  Everyone will acknowledge his greatness when they are reminded of him, but his name doesn't come up immediately in the discussions of the best WRs of the last 20 years like Antonio Brown's and Julio Jones's and Calvin Johnson's.  He's one of the most incredible WRs of all time.  His career has been one of the best ever from an individual standpoint, but he's never played for a prominent team outside the one year Arizona made a SB run.  Only one First Team All Pro selection and two Second Team selections.  It matters where you play and it is much easier to be a household name for a big time franchise in the Eastern time zone.

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Would 5 sacks given up equal a 10 sack season for DE?

Nope.  Giving up 5 sacks in a season isn't impressive.  It makes you below average on that count not above average.  I just looked at PFF ranking the top 46 O lineman gave up 2 sacks or less.   Moses to me is a decent RT, but touting he gave up 5 sacks wouldn't be one of the things he touts on his resume.  It's not a bragging stat.  He also gave up among the most hurries in the league at RT with 25 (top third) according to PFF.  And was in the top 10 for most penalties.

I like Moses but stats often aren't his friend, though the aggregate PFF score is decent for Moses. 

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Cool story. No way Kerrigan is a Hall of famer. Take a look at the plight of Kevin Greene to reach the Hall. I suppose if Kerrigan has 8 double digit sack season after the age of 30 he might get in around his 15th year of eligibility like Greene.

Don't know if he makes it or not.  But he's poised to end his career at least in the top 20 all time for sacks.  That's nothing to sneeze it.  And more on point, Moses isn't sniffing Kerrigan's status

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

On the flip side, I wonder what a RT would have to do to make the Hall? Who’s the last 4-5 RTs that have been elected? Such a undervalued position in the game by media and fans. The percentages of a RT making the hall versus a DE is about a 100 times less likely. 

Don't know.  But the one thing for sure is that Moses won't be the dude testng that theory. 

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Once again, I’ll concede and say Kerrigan is half or full step above Moses. So good he’ll be a rotational DE this year ;) lol

Yep at 32 with a stacked DE he's rotational albeit he's starting right now in practice.  The fact that the best player in college football can unseat an older dude at a position -- doesn't really make a case for your point.  ;)

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’ll concede that Kerrigan is a step above Moses. 

OK, we made progress here.  😀

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nope.  Giving up 5 sacks in a season isn't impressive.  It makes you below average on that count not above average.  I just looked at PFF ranking the top 46 O lineman gave up 2 sacks or less.   Moses to me is a decent RT, but touting he gave up 5 sacks wouldn't be one of the things he touts on his resume.  It's not a bragging stat.  He also gave up among the most hurries in the league at RT with 25 (top third) according to PFF.  And was in the top 10 for most penalties.

Okay, does it equal 8 or 9 sacks? 

I like Moses but stats often aren't his friend, though the aggregate PFF score is decent for Moses. 

Why not cite the aggregate PFF score? I’m sure it’s average to above in most seasons while on an overall mediocre to average team in those years.  

Don't know if he makes it or not.  But he's poised to end his career at least in the top 20 all time for sacks.  That's nothing to sneeze it.  And more on point, Moses isn't sniffing Kerrigan's status.

No, the point I made is we know through comparison Kerrigan isn’t near a Hall trajectory. It would require him having a Kevin Green type renaissance in his 30s (8 10 plus sack seasons after age of 30) to even come close. Kevin Greene is number 3 on all-time sack list and is took 16 years for him to get in the Hall. 

Top 20 all time is cool, but does not land you anywhere close to the Hall. Also, you’re stating top 20 as if it doesn’t require 35 or so more sacks from Kerrigan. 

Don't know.  But the one thing for sure is that Moses won't be the dude testng that theory. 

Nope, he won’t. Moses is just a solid player that can compete with any pass rusher in the league each game. 

Name 3 RT who have? 

Yep at 32 with a stacked DE he's rotational albeit he's starting right now in practice.  The fact that the best player in college football can unseat an older dude at a position -- doesn't really make a case for your point.  ;)

Kerrigan will 100% start (Rivera rolls that way), but he better bring it and actually compete in the run game and just better compete all around. No more friendly football, like our boy Cooley used to get on him about :) This coaching staff will hold him accountable. 

OK, we made progress here.  😀

:) We did. 

Still believe it’s difficult to quantify the value of Moses and RTs overall. Starting and playing 80 straight games at an average to above average level (good when healthy) depending on health would lend it self to some cool stats if he played another position. 

Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with him after this year. 

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

Okay, does it equal 8 or 9 sacks? 

Nope.  8 or 9 sacks = good.  Giving up 5 sacks - bad. He was also among the worst in the league period in giving up QB pressures.  You seem to think I am underselling a good stat?  I am not.  It's actually a bad stat for Moses.  But like I said, I do like him as a player.  We just got off on a tangent as to how good Moses is or not.  Personally I see him average to slightly above but I give any O lineman extra props for staying healthy and he fits that fit me.  He's a good dude, too.

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

Why not cite the aggregate PFF score? I’m sure it’s average to above in most seasons while on an overall mediocre to average team in those years.  

He gets a 65.  They rank him as the 50th best tackle in the league.     I was having a hard time finding the meaning of the PFF scores.  A dude below explains it but I think he's off in each category by one strata.  For example he thinks 60s means backup.  I think it means starter but I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

No, the point I made is we know through comparison Kerrigan isn’t near a Hall trajectory. It would require him having a Kevin Green type renaissance in his 30s (8 10 plus sack seasons after age of 30) to even come close. Kevin Greene is number 3 on all-time sack list and is took 16 years for him to get in the Hall. 

Top 20 all time is cool, but does not land you anywhere close to the Hall. Also, you’re stating top 20 as if it doesn’t require 35 or so more sacks from Kerrigan. 

I don't think Kerrigan makes the hall of fame personally, but it's not a ridiculous discussion, if he gets those 35 sacks and I think he will indeed do so if he stays healthy.  The D line isn't like most positions, being in the rotation gives you plenty of snaps to get sacks.    And if he ends up top 20 of all time in sacks which I think is certainly possible I bet his name comes up.  But agree, he doesn't get it.   

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.51.39 AM.png

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

:) We did. 

Still believe it’s difficult to quantify the value of Moses and RTs overall. Starting and playing 80 straight games at an average to above average level (good when healthy) depending on health would lend it self to some cool stats if he played another position. 

Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with him after this year. 

RTs have become a bigger deal in recent years.  I have to think about it some.  Sadly L. Collins of Dallas comes to mind as one of the better ones.   Mitchell Schwartz. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

RTs have become a bigger deal in recent years.  I have to think about it some.  Sadly L. Collins of Dallas comes to mind as one of the better ones.   Mitchell Schwartz. 

Lane Johnson with the Eagles.

Moses is an average to below average starter - but he IS a starting calibre RT. It's certainly a position we should be looking to upgrade but it falls a long way behind the need to find a LT we can put out there who can hold his own let alone dominate.

Protection is going to be a big issue. We have had a lot of years when you could just call "2 jet" and slide the protection away from Williams knowing he would  handle whatever was thrown at him 1-2-1 and give help to someone else (often Moses). Now we can't do that and we also can't reliably slide protections away from Moses - EVERYTHING gets more difficult.

O'line is going to be a limiting factor on offensive production and performance this year. If we get injuries it could get very ugly.

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought of him but I think he's moving to LT this season?

Nah, he's staying at RT.  They're hoping Dillard is the solution at LT.  If not, I'm sure they'll move Peters back to that spot from Guard.

Speaking of LT's... it still hurts we couldn't get a 1st for this guy:

Nope.  8 or 9 sacks = good.  Giving up 5 sacks - bad. He was also among the worst in the league period in giving up QB pressures.  You seem to think I am underselling a good stat?  I am not.  It's actually a bad stat for Moses.  But like I said, I do like him as a player.  We just got off on a tangent as to how good Moses is or not.  Personally I see him average to slightly above but I give any O lineman extra props for staying healthy and he fits that fit me.  He's a good dude, too.

5 sacks Allowed is bad, but 2-3 sacks allowed would be good? To fickle of a stat, especially with so many surrounding variables related to an Olineman giving up sacks. 

8 sacks last year ties your for 33rd in the league with 5 others. It’s solid, but there may be room for debate there. 

How about this, lets say Moses is a 8 sack level player at the Oline position. So over the last 5 seasons he would’ve compiled 40 sacks or so (He did have to really good years before signing his top RT money deal) He’d be a guy you’d project to finish his career with 80 or so sacks.

Also, it’s a pass rushers responsibility to defend the run. How does Kerrigan rank? 

He gets a 65.  They rank him as the 50th best tackle in the league.     I was having a hard time finding the meaning of the PFF scores.  A dude below explains it but I think he's off in each category by one strata.  For example he thinks 60s means backup.  I think it means starter but I could be wrong. 

This is over his career or just last year? Look forward to seeing his numbers with competent coaching staff and scheme. 

I don't think Kerrigan makes the hall of fame personally, but it's not a ridiculous discussion, if he gets those 35 sacks and I think he will indeed do so if he stays healthy.  The D line isn't like most positions, being in the rotation gives you plenty of snaps to get sacks.    And if he ends up top 20 of all time in sacks which I think is certainly possible I bet his name comes up.  But agree, he doesn't get it.   

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.51.39 AM.png

Probably will have to get to get to top 5, much like Greene had to when your career numbers are more about longevity than being great to elite. I suppose that can happen. 

This is all I have for this topic. I agree Kerrigan is a step above Moses. 

Can we stop with this Moses vs. Kerrigan debate? Moses is perfectly average, he’s fine. Most importantly even when he’s knicked up, he plays. But sacks aren’t the only statistic to measure the mistakes he makes, there’s also plenty of pressures allowed (which can ruin a play just as fully) and a ton of false starts, which are also a measurement of OL quality in a way bc it means they’re trying to get a jump to gain an advantage on a player who outmatches they. You won’t find an easy “conversion rate” to compare an RT’s effectiveness in the passing game (not even addressing moving defenders in the running game) to an EDGE’s ability to apply pressure to a QB. It’s just a wonky and doomed attempt to compare apples to oranges.

Kerrigan is clearly above average at worst, and on top of it even if he’s not the most well-rounded EDGE defender and isn’t a stud, he still plays a much more valuable position than Moses does. So even IF they were similar levels of player (they aren’t), the same level of play is worth more from an EDGE than from a RT, in general and with some exceptions. Note: I agree with you that Kerrigan will not sniff the HOF without another near decade of steady productivity bc he’s more of a compiler than game-changer. 

Archived