Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Ugh!  Rumors of people in the building saying he is having difficulty learning the playbook, how to call plays and process the field no one should be surprised because he only played 13 games in college and ran a simple scheme, not a complicated WCO.  I won't be shocked if Dan Snyder has picked another bust, who here would be surprised?  I think it is informative that the new coach isn't going to start him against a bad Miami team so we have to assume Snyder is good with keeping Haskins him on the bench.

This could be because Haskins is still confused by the offense and NFL defenses or maybe the team wants to create some separation between Gruden's firing and Haskins starting.  Let's hope that is the case and Haskins gets a start soon and shows us something.  None of us will know what sort of talent Haskins is until we see him play.  Let's not discount him before he has had his chance.

50 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

How frickin sad that we have to be wondering about this already with all the other garbage going on.  But you're right and his football IQ needs to be tested.  Week 10 bye would seem to be a natural spot for the transition.  He'll have one more month to prep, 2 weeks to focus on the Jets and 7 games to show what he's got between the ears.  If it's crash and burn, then better to know this year and plan accordingly.  If he rises to the occasion then these games will pay dividends long-term.

This.

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

So they don't ruin him they have to take that approach of "stashing" him for a year.  I like that idea. I hope you are right.  Meanwhile who do you go with at QB?  You have a new coach coming in what is the plan?

Meanwhile is why we have Netflix.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

This welcome thread being merged with itself has me confused lol

Blame me. Someone else started another Haskins thread - so I attempted to merge that into this and ended up merging this into that.

Still with me?

So I just renamed the new merged thread.

I thought it was brilliance. Or incompetence. One of the two.

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why Alex Smith?? What exactly has he done in his career to warrant being a good mentor for a young qb... whats he going to say? “Most of the time nothing will be there just check down, if you are down by more than ten points dont worry about coming back l, dont worry its ok to throw less then 23 tds in this league as long as you dint throw more than ten picks” nahh im good the last person haskins needs to learn from is dan snyders latest trade bust of a qb. If there is one person he needs to be attached to a hip to its kevin oconnell.

AS was successful as a journeyman qb... I also thought i was pretty clear in "the only qb ON THIS ROSTER". Yes Id prefer him talking to a savy vet who has won games over the likes of McCoy and Keenum. Career backups at best.

I agree, and hope Kevin makes him his project and devotes a ton of effort in helping him progress. If he can get the most out of him itd be a win win WIN

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Blame me. Someone else started another Haskins thread - so I attempted to merge that into this and ended up merging this into that.

Still with me?

I've had those moments, never fun to deal with. Aside from the moved thread ghost, I wouldn't have noticed at all. I vote brilliance.

15 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

3 INTs by Jones already tonight. I guess the Giants should give up on Jones as well. 🤔

He’s been a turnover machine since his first start. I was surprised with all the love he had been getting to be honest.

Hopefully they give him some time before the end of the season.  Like others have said, we need to see what we have.  I'd prefer that he starts from here on out.  While supposedly some coaches don't think he is ready, like some others have mentioned, the other QBs don't look great either so I'd prefer to go with the young gun.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not saying  Lombardi is on the money or not but for those curious...

Its always hard to tell when stuff like this starts coming out. You have one group saying one thing, one group saying another thing, and one group maybe exaggerating or misinterpreting something, and everyone is going to take the side that fits their agenda, usually.

But.... I gotta say, out of all the football I've watched, when the other backup QB's are shown on the sideline, they look very attune to what's going on on the field. Every time I've seen Haskins, it looks like he's off in space, or just kinda pouting. Just an  observation though, nothing more. I honestly feel bad for the kid, but from the moment we started hearing  the "He's friends with Snyders son" nonsense during the draft, we all knew these kind of stories were coming, whether 100% true or not.

Its gonna be an uphill battle for him.

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s been a turnover machine since his first start. I was surprised with all the love he had been getting to be honest.

But, meanwhile he's learning and he's growing and with each game pulls away from Haskins.  Where would you rather be as a franchise right now?

For me, it’s as simple as this. 

If your head college scout, whom you pay to actually rank these players and supposedly gave them the title that allows him to fulfill that role (lol, crazy, I know right?), has another QB ranked higher than Haskins, you take him. That ranking will need to include how you view Haskins as a QB with a year of development under his belt, but if another QB has an obviously higher ceiling, why is it even a question? 

You’re not married to him contractually. You’re not even married to him sentimentally, as he likely will have done nothing at that point. He’s not someone who you’ve already built your team around and, thus, will have added value to your specific situation over an “educated guess” draft pick. I’ve said this before, but the only time you take QB off your draft board (at least in the top two or three rounds) is if you have your sure-thing franchise QB on the roster. I don’t see Dwayne proving he is that this year (though it’s possible). He wasn’t a sure thing in this past draft as it was. 

Why would you throw away the better prospect at the most important position in football? 

You’re even safer PR-wise now because the Cardinals set the precedent for you. It’s no longer some unwritten rule. I’ve always been an extremist regarding BPA, so I admit I’m a bit biased on this... but I don’t see how it’s even a question. Take the better prospect. Don’t get caught up in the fallacy of sunk cost. 

I don’t know nor do I care where I fall on the play him or don’t play him line... but the above is enough for me. It’s the right thing to do organizationally. Which means we probably won’t.

Even we traded down with Miami, I’d want them to include Rosen in their package of picks & then we just let DH & Rosen start fresh and battle for the job. What an opportunity to get two extremely gifted young QBs on rookie contracts, that would be the ideal trade down scenario for me, easily. 

9 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

For me, it’s as simple as this. 

If your head college scout, whom you pay to actually rank these players and supposedly gave them the title that allows him to fulfill that role (lol, crazy, I know right?), has another QB ranked higher than Haskins, you take him. That ranking will need to include how you view Haskins as a QB with a year of development under his belt, but if another QB has an obviously higher ceiling, why is it even a question? 

You’re not married to him contractually. You’re not even married to him sentimentally, as he likely will have done nothing at that point. He’s not someone who you’ve already built your team around and, thus, will have added value to your specific situation over an “educated guess” draft pick. I’ve said this before, but the only time you take QB off your draft board (at least in the top two or three rounds) is if you have your sure-thing franchise QB on the roster. I don’t see Dwayne proving he is that this year (though it’s possible). He wasn’t a sure thing in this past draft as it was. 

Why would you throw away the better prospect at the most important position in football? 

You’re even safer PR-wise now because the Cardinals set the precedent for you. It’s no longer some unwritten rule. I’ve always been an extremist regarding BPA, so I admit I’m a bit biased on this... but I don’t see how it’s even a question. Take the better prospect. Don’t get caught up in the fallacy of sunk cost. 

I don’t know nor do I care where I fall on the play him or don’t play him line... but the above is enough for me. It’s the right thing to do organizationally. Which means we probably won’t.

I'll go with ... "i'm glad it's simple for you", Alex for $400!  😉

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Still with me?

Merging is so unintuitive it’s ridiculous. I’ve botched it many times myself and I’m clearly smarter than you, so don’t feel bad. 

And for the record, Jones has been getting worse each week for the past 4 weeks:

4 weeks ago - 336 yds, 112.7 QB rating

3 weeks ago - 225 yds,  78.0 QB rating

2 weeks ago - 182 yds, 65.9 QB rating

This week - 161 yds, 35.2 QB rating

While I have no way of proving this, I firmly believe that Haskins would have been getting better each week over that same timespan.

After watching each DJ start, I’m glad we stayed at 15 & took DH rather than trading up for Jones. DH has the far higher ceiling & Jones is looking like a possible worst case scenario ...  the average guy you give huge money to because he’s your average guy.

DH doesn’t look like a guy with much middle ground, he will be phenomenal or abysmal. I’ll take that over a Kirk clone. Give me something spectacular on either side, as coach Bill Yost would say...

4CDA3C73-CD0D-4206-8A29-525D800FED2E.gif

Jones is who we thought he was.  Someone without enough arm talent to beat coverage to spots.  He should be able to develop into a less turnover prone guy, but for the Giants to do anything with him, they'd need a great all around team.

Jones should be able to make all the easy matchups a sure win, but any talented defense or well coached/schemed defense is going to be too much for his arm.  In those cases, the run game, and his own teams defense need to carry the day.

Haskins has the arm talent to beat any coverage.  It's not just rifling it in there, it's also putting enough touch on it to get there before the safety but still lofting it enough for the linebacker to have no chance.  His arm can throw at any "launch angle" (to steal a recent baseball phrase) and any velocity.

All Daniel Jones has is touch passes.  He can't throw out routes.

Archived