Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

On Michael Lombardi's latest podcast, he says he has talked to people in the building and that they say Haskins doesn't work hard and acts like the job should just be given to him. Very entitled. Basically RG3 all over again, but at least RG3 had a good year before he became a diva.

Wow.

I would happily point out that Lombardi was a terrible GM who now makes a living with hot takes that are often wrong, but we are talking about a QB our owner drafted over the advice of the football people. 

The evidence from his preseason work with NFL WRs, and then consistently the last man off the field late after practice, would indicate otherwise.

Not in the building so can't confirm nor deny... But it has also been written that at least through camp he was attatched at the hip to Alex Smith- the only qb Id like him to be talking to on our roster.

A lot of damning things being written about DH... Just for the damn of it  imo

19 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

lets wait till the end of the season before we jump to conclusions

Sometimes the internet lets us down & we’re forced to create our own animated responses:

***Worth noting, I don’t necessarily disagree with your points CjS, but the phrase quoted made me laugh because it reminded me of this glorious scene from Dexter.

23 hours ago, Sonny9TD said:

Take a look and tell me what you think of them. I/m good either way.   K.J. Costello Stanford.    Brock Purdy   Iowa State I pasted the address but the video popped up instead. A great mid round pick he would be, I don't want to paste KJ Costello since that might be a video instead of a link too. I like the Brock kid a lot though. The pass at 1:38 is tight and sweet. His arm strength is just enough to make it. Honestly his arm strength is at the minimum that will make it in the NFL but it is strong enough to play. I would consider his arm strength the threshold of strong enough. Id rather have his talent in awareness, body movement and total game  than a cannon that doesn't have the agility or play making ability. Thing is although this kid might be a 3rd rounder maybe later i still think he is better than Haskins. I'd rather have this kid leading my offense than Haskins

After watching that highlight reel I, for one, am excited to see DH and Mclauren on the field at the same time!

Purdy def put some nice throws out there- but #18 impressed me more. Kid is big fast and strong. Some poor throws were brought down due to his athleticism. Butler? Have to keep an eye on his stock

5 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

The evidence of of season work with NFL WRs and then consistently the last man off the field late afyer practice would indicate otherwise.

Not in the building so vant confirm nor deny... But it has also been written that at least through camp he was attatched at the hip to Alex Smith- the only qb Id like him to be talking to on our roster.

Why Alex Smith?? What exactly has he done in his career to warrant being a good mentor for a young qb... whats he going to say? “Most of the time nothing will be there just check down, if you are down by more than ten points dont worry about coming back l, dont worry its ok to throw less then 23 tds in this league as long as you dint throw more than ten picks” nahh im good the last person haskins needs to learn from is dan snyders latest trade bust of a qb. If there is one person he needs to be attached to a hip to its kevin oconnell.

On Michael Lombardi's latest podcast, he says he has talked to people in the building and that they say Haskins doesn't work hard and acts like the job should just be given to him. Very entitled. Basically RG3 all over again, but at least RG3 had a good year before he became a diva.

Wow.

I would happily point out that Lombardi was a terrible GM who now makes a living with hot takes that are often wrong, but we are talking about a QB our owner drafted over the advice of the football people. 

I hope that's wrong but it plays into a theme about FO people taking shots.   Paulsen said he has talked to multiple people in the FO all of whom have concerns about his development and some who told him they don't think the dude is a franchise QB.  i know the fashionable thing to say is Paulsen is just making it up for kicks or whatever.  But he's not alone.  Sheehan has said some in the FO are still sore about the pick.   Keim has said Dan went against the scouts in the building on it.  And admitted to another beat guy in a podcast that he heard Kyle wasn't on board with the pick and saw him as a 2nd round talent.

I've been reluctant to pile this all on this thread because I don't want to come off like I am personally endorsing or liking any of that negativity.  I don't like any of it.  Like I said I like the dude, any player who is willing to talk to my kids and take a picture with them, I am always going to like. 😀  He and Guice I think are the coolest personalities on the team.    😀  Tough not to love either dude if you watch how they handle themselves with people -- fans, teammates, etc. 

I heard some of this same stuff in the Spring but I brushed it off because I also heard that Jay and the people in that building really really like Haskins and enjoy developing him.  But it seems to have come back to square 1 because I gather at least some of the people in that building aren't loving what they've seen in practice.

That's why I go back to Hoffman's thought.  Hoffman has echoed the scouts versus Dan line about Haskins.  He's also heavily hinted that the development isn't coming as fast as they'd like.  But he in a heavy handed way made the point hey maybe just play the dude.  Some players are just better on game day then in practice.  It makes sense to me to try.  

And heck if Haskins' old QB coach actually kicks in and says play him 2 weeks from now.  Then I don't think the idea is gross malpractice or a crazy notion.  As much as I love Tua, I'd love for Haskins to be the guy.   And i'd relax more about it if the leaks from the FO were positive.  But yeah I don't love that the leaks are mostly negative.  It bothers me. 

@wit33  brings up Kirk.  And I agree with his point in that he developed over time albeit his one showing his rookie year -- he was actually good, ditto the small sample in Baltimore so you got some early glimpses.  But he was horrendous in 2013.  The leaks though about Kirk though were mostly positive because Mike and Kyle loved the dude.  But agree that he was a case of a Qb who played better over time at least that's how it was here.  Conversely, Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell never really improved over time.  So depends on the QB. 

11 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

The evidence of of season work with NFL WRs and then consistently the last man off the field late afyer practice would indicate otherwise.

Not in the building so vant confirm nor deny... But it has also been written that at least through camp he was attatched at the hip to Alex Smith- the only qb Id like him to be talking to on our roster.

That's what I'm saying, after 2 quarters of football, dude is labeled as doomed

dude has shown tons of work ethic 

2 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

I think a lot of people are looking at the situation as a whole and wondering why he cant beat out Keenum or McCoy, I think that's where all the doom and gloom is coming from esp when you have Kyle allen and Minshew running around playing in games. No real simple solution to this situation unfortunately. 

Wow.

I have no idea what he is like in the building. I'm sure he works a lot harder than whatever Lombardi is saying, or at least I hope he is. However, the rest of what he says about acting like the job should be is pretty much lines up with how he has acted publicly and on social media, so that would not surprise me.

1 minute ago, checmate21 said:

I don't think anyone is labeling him as doomed. I've been one of his harshest critics here and even I'm not saying that. I think his situation here, regardless of his half of play versus the Giants, is not ideal for him. 

45 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Cali u are one of the most senior most posters in this forum, since when does a team bringing a GM and Coach centered around one player work?? its not gonna happen whatever coach we hire will be forced to develop haskins whether he has the skills or not most likely this is a train wreck waiting to happen nothing in this teams history under snyder tells me they can make this Haskins situation work....

I don't have a problem with that part in bold...I have a problem with the coach fluffing up his belief in Haskins--even if in reality he doesn't hold that view--just to get the job, and Snyder insisting that whoever is HC next be over the moon about working with Haskins. For example, I have no idea of McVay was forced to develop Goff or if he felt Goff was good enough to succeed with, or if he would have highly preferred picking his own QB instead of inheriting one. Don't care, either lol...I would want a coach who is good enough that it doesn't matter, and I would want (no matter how likely or unlikely) Snyder to not focus his choices on head coach candidates who validate the drafting of Haskins.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

You’d think Kirk was never here by the posting going on here. This organization developed Kirk. Say it with me, this organization developed Kirk. 

It appears the organization has a plan for Haskins, but aren’t committed to saying when he will play is all. Allowing him time to develop organically without being pressured by the outside influences and noise. 

You can argue if they should play him right away or not, but it’s clear a plan is in place. I appreciate they aren’t throwing him in the middle of a coaching change and all that comes with it. Allow time for things to settle for a bit and Haskins to focus on football only. 

Kirk was a fourth round pick in the draft.  It would be expected that he would sit for a year and change, maybe more, and be developed by the organization that picked him in the 4th round - 106 overall.  That development starts running the scout team. I think we can agree with that. If that goes well then you get the nod if your starting QB goes down or sucks.  We all know the history.

Gruden actually preferred Kirk over RG3 because of the offense he likes to run.   I think Kirk's greatest development came, as it should, from starting games and working with McVay and Gruden.  I, similar to others, think Gruden makes a good OC not as a HC.

Haskins in my opinion should be further along, playing now, similar to the majority of QBs picked in the first round of an NFL draft.

All Haskins has been doing is focusing on football.  Turns out he was not being held out because Gruden didn't like him personally. He simply didn't like how he played.  Every scout, every coach on the Redskins saw him taking reps during OTA's, training camp, all the way to preseason action right?  Do you really think Danny's hand picked guy is not going to get attention?  Development? 

Didn't Doug Williams say "they" would decide who the starting QB would be - including Dan and Bruce?  if Haskins was even remotely capable Danny would have his fantasy pick in there from day 1.   Remember this beauty:   https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/dan-snyder-will-help-decide-redskins-quarterback-doug-williams-says

Haskins is turning out to be exactly like a 4th rounder or 5th rounder - not a 1st rounder.   Again I am really wondering what the hell is going to happen here.  I hope he can get out there in the next 4-5 games or the Skins have to be thinking QB again in the draft.   How can they not?   

39 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Kirk was a fourth round pick in the draft.  It would be expected that he would sit for a year and change, maybe more, and be developed by the organization that picked him in the 4th round - 106 overall.  That development starts running the scout team. I think we can agree with that. If that goes well then you get the nod if your starting QB goes down or sucks.  We all know the history.

Gruden actually preferred Kirk over RG3 because of the offense he likes to run.   I think Kirk's greatest development came, as it should, from starting games and working with McVay and Gruden.  I, similar to others, think Gruden makes a good OC not as a HC.

Haskins in my opinion should be further along, playing now, similar to the majority of QBs picked in the first round of an NFL draft.

All Haskins has been doing is focusing on football.  Turns out he was not being held out because Gruden didn't like him personally. He simply didn't like how he played.  Every scout, every coach on the Redskins saw him taking reps during OTA's, training camp, all the way to preseason action right?  Do you really think Danny's hand picked guy is not going to get attention?  Development? 

Didn't Doug Williams say "they" would decide who the starting QB would be - including Dan and Bruce?  if Haskins was even remotely capable Danny would have his fantasy pick in there from day 1.   Remember this beauty:   https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/dan-snyder-will-help-decide-redskins-quarterback-doug-williams-says

Haskins is turning out to be exactly like a 4th rounder or 5th rounder - not a 1st rounder.   Again I am really wondering what the hell is going to happen here.  I hope he can get out there in the next 4-5 games or the Skins have to be thinking QB again in the draft.   How can they not?   

Haskins, viewed through an nba lens, is a first round draft & stash. Unfortunately, the nfl doesn’t allow the luxury of letting a guy develop with live action after he’s drafted. Georgia & Oregon would be, at least as good, with Haskins; DH is better than each at that level even with his flaws, so taking him at 15, & stashing him for a year, could prove a big win for us, though it seems like a miss compared to others who were more ready to play. Oregon would have smoked Auburn with Haskins, people would be debating DH v Tua today if DH had stayed. Perception & expectations are cunning foes.

8 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

I am furious with Dan Snyder right now on this one in particular.  You pick a QB at #15 in the first round and he is not ready to play and then you see a rookie,  like Jones succeed, which you could say is reasonable, okay, but then you look at someone like Gardner Minshew.. Who????  Oh yeah that 6th round pick, that the Jaguars were going to store and develop over time because they are good at evaluating potential.  But then because of the injury to Foles they are forced to stick him in the game. And most know what he is doing right now starting for the Jaguars.  The supposed project, which he should have been is killing it in the league and we have our 15th pick, sitting on the bench because his skill set is not up to par.  And that is not his fault. 

Jones first game was a surprise, but his last two games have looked more like what we thought he was.

Minshew however, he looks like the entire NFL screwed up.  How many teams out there wish they drafted him to be their backup at the very least?  Several teams must be wishing he'd be starting for them right now.  In a re-draft, he's not going Day 3 anymore, let alone Round 6.

18 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Jones first game was a surprise, but his last two games have looked more like what we thought he was.

Minshew however, he looks like the entire NFL screwed up.  How many teams out there wish they drafted him to be their backup at the very least?  Several teams must be wishing he'd be starting for them right now.  In a re-draft, he's not going Day 3 anymore, let alone Round 6.

Makes you wonder if Bortles ate paint chips as a kid. 

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not to mention that if you play him and he dominates like you said, why would you care about raising his value for a trade? Wouldn't you keep him in that situation?

Not necessarily. While he dominates in 2 games with a 10% playbook, we may still end up with a top 3 pick in the draft. What if the QBs in our draft slot are better than he is?

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

Again I am really wondering what the hell is going to happen here.  I hope he can get out there in the next 4-5 games or the Skins have to be thinking QB again in the draft.   How can they not?   

How frickin sad that we have to be wondering about this already with all the other garbage going on.  But you're right and his football IQ needs to be tested.  Week 10 bye would seem to be a natural spot for the transition.  He'll have one more month to prep, 2 weeks to focus on the Jets and 7 games to show what he's got between the ears.  If it's crash and burn, then better to know this year and plan accordingly.  If he rises to the occasion then these games will pay dividends long-term.

13 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Some of what you are saying about Jones is true but their defense is trash, and I think his O line is pretty suspect as well.  What I like about Jones is his ability to stay in the pocket instead of instantly running when it collapses.  He shows an ability to extend plays which gives his receivers maybe a second more to get separation. I think he has shown things you expect to see in a rookie QB though - average yardage - 190 per game, and those ugly untimely INT's .  But he still reminds me from a composure perspective of a mini Eli. I think he is going to be decent and I hate that as a Skins fan.   

You're definitely right about Minshew. Not sure if he will be the next Tom Brady, but the draft "experts" screwed up on Brady as we all know.  It is not an infallible process.  But it sure is much easier to accept missing on a diamond in the rough like a Brady or Minshew, then it is dealing with the aftereffects of a moron owner, like Danny who sidesteps actual professional player evaluators, forcing them to choose his fantasy pick in the first round -  rounds above where we are now learning he should have been drafted.  Now he is leaving this mess to the next coach to fix.  Wonder who the lucky guy is going to be?  

Of course I hope I am wrong and Haskins becomes the franchise QB we have never been able to find. I just want to win. Man that is all any of us on this board want.  But if Danny screwed up, lets face it,  we are QB hunting either in this draft or the next.  

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Haskins, viewed through an nba lens, is a first round draft & stash. Unfortunately, the nfl doesn’t allow the luxury of letting a guy develop with live action after he’s drafted. Georgia & Oregon would be, at least as good, with Haskins; DH is better than each at that level even with his flaws, so taking him at 15, & stashing him for a year, could prove a big win for us, though it seems like a miss compared to others who were more ready to play. Oregon would have smoked Auburn with Haskins, people would be debating DH v Tua today if DH had stayed. Perception & expectations are cunning foes.

So they don't ruin him they have to take that approach of "stashing" him for a year.  I like that idea. I hope you are right.  Meanwhile who do you go with at QB?  You have a new coach coming in what is the plan?

Archived